Ack! Scared of failure, but here goes my first journal - old subject line LOL

Actually, I think I’d like to Fim vs Top … my main goal is I want shorter but fatter plants. I think. They will be in 3 gallon bags mostly and a couple of 5 gallon bags. I see I should wait a few days after fimming or topping before transplanting which is fine. Or should I transplant and wait a few days to fim/top? Or should I just not fim/top at all? Ack!

2 Likes

You can top now. I grow mine like 6-7 nodes and then top because i like a couple nodes on the clone stem getting sprayed in the cloner.

2 Likes

When your plants are potted and the canopy extends beyond the edges of the pot, very little water will reach the level of the soil. In some of my pics, you’ll see small, colored bowls. I’ll stick one on the railing and another on the soil in the pot (just to see how much water is getting to the soil). The bowl under the plant gets VERY little water.

I do not adjust the nutes on any of my potted plants. I just water with nutes when the plants feel light enough. (And I don’t adjust for the ones in the ground either.)

3 Likes

Thank you for the info on the nutes and rains. Really helpful. So, you don’t feed every day? You just feed when they are light and feel thirsty? I’m getting the hang of that weight thing pretty well now. That will change when I pot them. Heh. But I’ll probably get the hang of that, too.

Got my Jacks!! Still using the roots organics but plan to switch after I do all that individual mixing. Took awhile to get soda bottles because nobody I know drinks soda. LOL. I do have a weakness for Dr. Pepper, but rarely allow it, so I had an almost full but dead bottle of it in the fridge. And I have a couple of smaller (1 liter?) bottles from my sparkling water mix(es). Hope to follow your mixing style so that it’s always ready for the end mix before feeding.

Also, I bought deep plates/bowls to put under my grow bags. Not sure I need or will use them but they were 50 cents at Target. I got a deeper on at Hefty Harvest for 2.49.

I’m having trouble ‘getting’ your bowl usage in this post so I’ll run over and view your pics again. Do you still water from the bottom or does that change when in pots/bags? The smaller bowl on the soil in the pot, is that for rain measuring?

I fimmed my babies last night (I think LOL) … I was going to top half of them and fim the other half, but I ended up just fimming both. Topping seems so … major … I still want to top the five, so that I can see the difference in how they grow. Pics to follow soonish.

Thank you!!

1 Like

Thank you! So, are you saying that you top yours to make them into clones and so take the top 1-2 nodes off?

I went ahead and fimmed my last night. Topping seemed so major. I’m going to post pics soon.

2 Likes

Day 49ish? Too lazy to look at calendar in another room …

The part I cut off, so this is FIM, right? I went ahead and planted these little buggers, just for fun …

The view of one of my babies after fimming

Another photo:

5 Likes

Yep fim = Fuck i missed.

8 Likes

One time i defoliated my finger lol.

4 Likes

I remember when I de-flowered my finger!

movie quote – ??
I lost my virginity to your daughter for cryin’ out loud! Rob, you were there."

5 Likes

Ha hahahaha! :rofl:

4 Likes

Hello! I’ve been adding items to my IPM arsenal and bought some Captain Jack’s DEADBUG brew DUST vs spray … has anybody used the dust and how does it work vs spray for you? It seemed very cost effective for me as a very frugal person. It’s raining continuously here, so I wonder how it works combined with wet wet wet leaves and such.

I also have Mosquito Bits, sticky traps and neem oil. I’ve not used any of them yet. Thanks to @OlyBoy for the advice on local use of pest management sorts.

2 Likes

I sware by mosquito bits… Love the stuff. Got 2 huge jugs on sale at Depot one day.

I dump maybe 10 pellets in my rain water bucket twice a month and have never seen a fungi gnute ever…never ever again. That was 2 yrs ago I started using it

5 Likes

OMG. That’s smart. I’m gonna do that now.

3 Likes

Might you know, off the top of your head, if it’s safe for bird baths? And, man, you got a great deal!!!

So … I don’t have a rain water bucket … y’all do that to collect rain water for watering? I think that for a while there government was considering TAXING people for collecting rain water. Ha! Just try and get taxes out of me for rain water, buddy. And I’m pro-tax … probably shouldn’t go there or it can get political LOL … just saying, I like nice roads, parks, etc. #runsandhides

3 Likes

Day 50 … plants seem fine after fimming them two days ago. Whew! The tiny fimmed parts look great, too, as I threw them into a pot of good soil. LOL … so maybe I’ll have more plants, although I really need to pare down the ten I have.

Finally put 4-5 mosquito bits on the top of the soil. The new directions say to mix it with water, but I’m still watering from the bottom of the bottom solo cup while I feed, so I’m waiting to change, if I.even do so. @LoCoRocK , I did read the bag and it said it’s fine to use in bird baths BUT not in human drinking water … hmmmmm … I feed birds and squirrels and feral cats, so I don’t want to harm them in their water bowls.

I want to use the neem oil mix spray on the leaves but I don’t want to throw too much at the babies at one time even if it’s okay to do so. Plus, we finally have a nice sunny day and it says to do it on a cloudy, windless, rainless day. Ha!

Busy weekend so I can’t get them into pots today or tomorrow. It’s fine with me because I still want to wait until I get gender identification … any day now, I’m sure .
Like I said, busy day … June is always so full of events. I had three close relationship birthdays alone from June 9 to June 11 and a grad party this evening. And there is a concert tonight near Muck Bay that I’d like to try to get to afterwards. Good raggae band.

Hope everybody has a great day and a great weekend!!

3 Likes

Day 52 … nothing going on because of the RAINS … just anxiously awaiting the warm and sunny weather later this week. Maybe those girlie parts will show up by then and I can up pot them to their final destination … I know other states are suffering from drought and such … @OlyBoy and I are getting all the water. And more. I’m considering top dressing with nutes the next day or two because the babies have enough water from the rain …

3 Likes

Ahhh…directions are for fools. When the mosquitos get real bad I chew on a couple of them pellets. Hasn’t hurt me one bit…

7 Likes

Hey you guys!!!

3 Likes

Are you ready for this?

Watch out! Here they grow!

3 Likes

Yes! Yes! Yes!

But I can’t promise that I won’t be bitching about the heat on the days over 80 LOLOLOL … Got my fans at the ready!! Closed days in day, cold showers, open windows at night. I’m ready!!

I was a little sad that the thunderstorms promised yesterday didn’t transpire. I love a good thunderstorm.

Stay cool!!

2 Likes