Ack! Scared of failure, but here goes my first journal - old subject line LOL

That’s the prettiest damn weather report I ever did see!!! I will trade you! Hey it could be worse …happy got 100 all week but - oh don’t you worry. Your pretty little self. That there is dry heat!!!

3 Likes

They rarely mention humidity out here. But we do get heat.

4 Likes

I like how 103/4 isn’t in red …lol – like 102, 103…ehh tolerable, but when it gets over 109 is when it hits ya … LMAO

4 Likes

I think those are gonna be record heat days. This is fairly early for these kind of temperatures for us.

3 Likes

Right??? Sheesh … I grew up in very southern California where it hit 115 … I can not do heat anymore.

2 Likes

Well I tell you my outdoor plants absolutely love this high heat. The plants just absolutely explode. It’s looking like my outdoor is going to be out of control again. :+1:t3:

4 Likes

LoL…you know I was gonna joke…" what a chore it must be - dealing with 4 or 5 pounds as a result" BUT that really is a frickin chore man, a shit ton of work. My lazy ass would have bags waiting for trim for months. LoL

4 Likes

There’s a place near here that rents those bud trimmer machines that the industry uses. I stopped in for shits and giggles and they have some cool stuff. Crazy expensive though.

2 Likes

My FIM starts seem to be taking … ha!! Like I need more unsexed plants …

3 Likes

Nope i put nothing in the bottom. But i do add a few more holes. The promix hp i use is high porosity with moisture helping agent added it keeps it uniformly moist. This is why i went away from coco as much. No dry pockets.

4 Likes

Thanks!!!

2 Likes

Day 54 … update and photos

Finally prepped medium and filled 6 fabric bags and 2 b&w poly bags, all 3 gallon size. I used 40% FFOF + 40% Sunshine #4 + 20% Perlite and then I ran out. I have ten plants, all unsexed. I had wanted to wait to do this after sexing, but really want to take advantage of the warm weather that has finally arrived. I may or may not pot up the last two babies and see what solo cup growing can be like to the end. I’m waiting to do the actual transplanting tomorrow.

Still not sure which of the ten plants will get the nod for transplanting. I’m thinking of putting the two Sky Gods in the two b&w poly 3 gallon bags and three each of the Hash God and White Runtz X Skywalker OG in the 3 gallon fabric bags. That will leave one each of Hash God and White Runtz X Skywalker OG to live out their little lives in Solo cups. But, who knows? Maybe tomorrow I will discover girlie parts and have to change my plans … LOL

Babies waiting in the sun after their morning feeding

Prep spot with medium, tools and bags

Medium - FFOF, Sunshine #4 and Perlite 40/40/20 mix

Bags - I’m just going to use the 3 gallon size

Filled bags - 3 gallon bags

The spot I’ve chosen will be behind my tomato plants - where the black plates are. I really need to move that little Azalea plant!!! It’s using prime real estate.

Tomato plants that will be in front of babies - I’ll deal with size later, if necessary

Photo of whole tomato, pepper, cucumber, raspberry site

If you’ve been following, this is the spot that is in an upper area that gets enough sun but not enough security due to back alley. So now my squashes and broccoli are here.

This is the spot I thot I would put them but then realized there wouldn’t be enough sun, so I have my peas and beans there as well as a place I put all my unused pots, trays, etc.

Really happy babies in the sun on their last day in Solo cups

Stay tuned for transplanted pics tomorrow!!! Really psyched!!

7 Likes

That’s awesome! And since you’ll have two plants in solo cups, you might have a backup or two if you get a male plant in one of the larger pots.

3 Likes

Well, I have you to thank for all your help these last few weeks. It’s so nice to have a local grower who also grows outdoors and is willing to spend time to give me tips on what to expect and such. Really appreciate it!!

5 Likes

Day 57 - below are the photos of the newly potted babies from day 55 when transplanted.

Since then, I’ve watered twice: on transplant day 55 they got one cup and on day 57 they got two cups. Since I did a mix of 40% FFOF; 40% Sunshine #4 and 20% perlite, I’m not feeding them for a couple of weeks. I’m watering epsom salts (ratio 1 tsp per gallon).

It’s been warm/hot here (for us) but today and tomorrow are the hottest at 84 today and 92 tomorrow so they will get more hydration. I need to get used to their weight all over again to know when they NEED watering as the pots are very different from the easily handled Solo cups. I’m gonna miss being able to handle them that easily.

Yesterday, Day 56, I noticed the the bottom leaves (fan leaves? not the baby ones that have curled up and crinkled) are turning yellow, so any advice there? Are they still acclimating to the transplant? I will post pictures of that soon in a new post.

Today, my boyfriend and I are going to rethink their current ‘new’ location as I want to be able to get to them easier for sexing, feeding, checking for pest, etc.

Here is Sky God’s roots straight out of the Solo cups:

Here is Hash God’s roots straight out of the Solo cups:

Here is White Runtz X Skywalker OG roots straight out of the Solo cups:

Here are the two unchosen ones :frowning:

The new pots are behind the tomato plants against the wall. It’s late afternoon so the shade is coming, but that area has HOURS of sun. I am wondering if I should rethink location (again) b/c I’d like to be able to get to them easier and the tomato plants are taking off and will probably be huge.

Another view of newly potted plants

Any thoughts, suggestions, advice, criticism, etc. is appreciated.

8 Likes

I can’t help you on the watering because I always water to runoff. Of course unless it’s a seedling in a 12 gallon pot. I’m not saying that I water till water pours out the bottom I’m saying I give enough water to where it shows at the bottom. My next observation would be, are you going to grow Christmas trees or are you going to grow bushes. If you were going to grow bushes it’s time to top. My outdoor plants get direct sun most of them from around 8 AM till around 530 or six P.m. from here through August it can be anywhere from 80 to 110° on any given day. I keep the center of my plants cleaned out of growth for lots of air circulation and give them lots of water every two or three days. So we have different weather which just goes to show how these plants will grow in drastically different climates. As far as your leaves turning yellow, if it’s a few at the very bottom they’re probably just getting old if they are large leaves, if you have other leaves towards the bottom that are starting to lighten up, your plants are hungry. If you are not feeding them nutrients with that many routes in a solo cup with soil they have depleted the nutrients and are starting to eat themselves. Now that you have transplanted and they have new nutrients they will perk up. But in about three weeks they will probably have that soil mostly depleted again so you will need to feed at that point. They will tell you. It looked to me like you’re doing a great job and you couldn’t have picked a better mentor than praybird.

I didn’t discover your journal until a week ago or so and it has been a very enjoyable read. The only criticism I have on your journal is you’re not posting enough lately. You are very funny and have a great personality. It shows through in your journal.

:thinking: Every novel needs an ending.
So here goes

… The end…

5 Likes

Great update. I live the roots pics! And I can’t think of anything else that happy did t already say. If you have two of the same plant, it might be cool to top one plant and let one plant grow au natural!

5 Likes

Very good suggestion. That will teach you a bunch. :+1:t3:

5 Likes

@happilyretired and @OlyBoy … I did FIM half and think I TOPPED the other half, but not sure (EDIT - FIMMED/TOPPED ON JUNE 10). They look more like a mix of FIM and half FIM, so the ‘EFF I missed’ was sure right on the mark and more! LOL. I will post pics soon and also reply to y’all and given an update. It’s been a crazy day of appt mixups and I’m reeling from incompetence on a downtown auto repair shop …

5 Likes

What size grow bags are those? I like 5-7 gallons and even bigger. I have a Huge amnesia lemon plant that’s like 5 feet around and it was like 7 feet tall and i had to super crop it whole bunch. I let it veg to long because the seed runs took 3 weeks longer than expected.

This is just the front of the plant.

4 Likes