Ack! Scared of failure, but here goes my first journal - old subject line LOL

i baked seeds on a plate like they were cookies with my mat. modem, top of the fridge, inside a cab in the bathroom was all the heat i needed.

5 Likes

I can’t see it from my house, but if/when I drive downtown, there she is!! I didn’t go anywhere, so I don’t know if she was visible. How strange that it was hazy for you. Pretty clear here on the Westside. Today, too.

I think I’m going to do 5 gallon pots outside, or maybe 3 gallon. Well, I will bring them in at night for awhile (or always?). I don’t want to mess with lights, heat, humidity, fans, etc. just yet. I do want to learn that, but not right now. Just so much I can learn at a time.

Going thru these posts, I see that you did indeed say ‘cut holes’ and I just skimmed over that. LOL. I went out looking for darker cups to put the clear cups in and was not successful. I did find red and light blue solo cups, but I want black or dark blue cups. Hell, I probably have what I need right here, if I think about it.

4 Likes

Should I just announce it or would anybody like to take a guess at which strain opened up first and when? LOL I’ll post a picture soon. Its tail is still tiny, but it’s out. So, the three strains to guess from are SkyGod, Haze God and White Runtz x Skywalker OG … I’ll be back in awhile.

4 Likes

Skygod popped 1st.

6 Likes

Exactly, fresh seeds need pretty much nothing but love and a good dose of common sense !!

However, there are things that will help along the way. Plants just like humans, have basic needs. And those needs are pretty simple. Light, air, and the building blocks of life… So with that in mind, give your new fresh seeds some simple helpers. They are not mandatory but they will help. Fulvic acid and Seaweed kelp concentrate WILL help them on there way. But not fundamentally necessary. So welcome to the forum and with the help of all the stellar growers on here you will be on your way to a stellar grow. One of the hardest things to learn is restraint. Baby them, but with restraint. Do them right, but don’t kill them with kindness.

A journey has begun. I will for sure be watching. But it is for all practical purposes pretty simple. Food water light and oxygen the basic building blocks of life. Enjoy, and remember simple is most times better.

8 Likes

You got it, but I knew you would!!! About 2pish. Woohoo!!

5 Likes

Lol thats weird i almost guessed then i thought about it. Nice happy 420

4 Likes

Happy 420 to you, too! And to everybody!! So, here are pics. Should I call the first one SkyGod Plant 1 and the other SkyGod Plant 2? :slight_smile: What’s next? I know I need to put this baby in medium, but I’m not ready!! Is tomorrow okay??

9 Likes

You can wait. But watch the tap roots! They can go a little crazy and grow quick. If a taproot grows into the towel, do not pull it. Gently tear the paper towel. Or plant the small piece of towel the root goes through.

9 Likes

The clear cups go inside the red cups…lol that is all!!!

6 Likes

I just have a thing for dark colors, black, grey, khaki … I hate red and yellow and orange. Call me crazy. LOL

4 Likes

After MUCH thought, I’ve decided I have to go with what I know for this particular phase of moving seed from paper towel to pot.

I have seedling trays that have see thru cells in a black tray with see thru dome and dome hole covers. I understand this means an extra transplant situation. I just don’t feel comfortable enough with trying something new right now (clear plastic cup with holes inside a dark cup) LOL … Same concept, just smaller venue. With this, I’ll be able to keep my babies close to me with a grow lite and heating mat … all in one place … on my kitchen table.

It’s going to rain for several days starting tomorrow and the temps are going down, so my babies will have to stay inside until the next warm phase of PNW weather. So … that’s where I’m at right now and I plan to do it in the next hour or so, at least with the first few popped beans (more have popped). If anybody has strong feelings against this, I’d be happy to hear what those are and why. Always interested in what y’all advise/suggest!! Thank you!!! EDIT: HESITATION CREPT BACK IN. I’ll move them in the morning.

7 Likes

I like that seedling tray. You’ll be able to keep them all in the same spot and keep an eye on their growth while they are inside. And they look like it would be easy to observe root growth and pop them out when it’s time to transplant them.

My only concern might be the heating pad. How warm will it keep the the soil in the seedling tray? I would just want to make sure that they get enough light, but would the light + the heating pad cook the seeds?

3 Likes

Hi OlyBoy! Thanks so much for sticking with me.

I have a weird little heating mat thermometer that came with a couple of thin heating pad I got for kumbacha and whenever I look at it, it’s either 76 or 78 degrees. I’ll place it on the mat and try to get a picture of the temp. I haven’t really been using the thermometer. The lights aren’t all that strong, either. I have 3 older OttLites and 3 LED grow lights and 3 normal size heating mats and two kombucha size heating mats. I’ll try to send their specs later. I’m whooped from a day of gardening of other stuff and a walk around the lake. Gorgeous day.

Since March 1st, I’ve been using lites and mats for three separate phases of 7 types of tomatos, 4 types of peppers, 20+ types of flowers, 6 types of squash, 4 types of cukes and 5 types of herbs and never have any of them cooked the seeds or seedlings. I’m talking over 300 seedlings, probably more as I’ve not counted the current growths. I do have to water twice a day and I’m pretty sure it’s due to the heating pads. First thing I do every morning and last thing I do every night is check these babies (and sometimes all day and all night LOL).

I’ve still not put the seeds into medium as I’m having doubts. I hate doubts and indecisiveness and I suffer terribly from both. Perfectionist issues. So, I hesitate. I was also waiting to hear from all you experts and figure people are just busy with life. LOL. I was also taking into account that I just don’t have enough seedling mix for the larger see through cups.

I think I’ll sleep on this one more day. Buy more seedling mix tomorrow and see how I feel.

Thank you so much … you’ve been most helpful …

3 Likes

Hey if you plant the sprouts just put light close it will make enough heat to warm sprouts and grow fine. I wouldn’t use the mat really. I have 4 seedling heat mats and i dont use them any more. The sprouts grow fine at
70 degrees. On on your kitchen table will be fine.

No mat

No mat.
I have fried some seeds and fried sprouts with mats. Im no longer a fan
And ill take the power savings.

9 Likes

I do about 4 up pots, no lie per plant. I also use great white which is a wonderful product btw…point is builds a great root system & what you want… besides learning is fun, another favorite is what works for 1 don’t work for the masses…go with what you know for sho. You’ll try heaps of shit in the journey man. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

@LoCoRocK yep i use great white and dynomyco also.

3 Likes

Thank you! @LoCoRocK , could you please clarify what this means: “about 4 up pots, no lie per plant”?

@LoCoRocK and @PreyBird1, regarding Great White and Dynomyco, when would I start adding? I assume that both these products for the roots? Should I just use one or both? I’m somewhat limited financially, so I’ll shop around for them to see if I can swing it.

Last question (for now LOL) … which lights would be better for the babies? My 13W Fluorescent OttLite task lamp or my 25W Full spectrum LED Grow Light?

Thank you both! Thank you. Thank you!

GN 25W LED Grow Lamp

5 Likes

25w full spec grow light. I use a 21 watt full spec 4 foot T5

Up pot is just going up to a bigger pot i believe.

6 Likes

Thank you. I assume that was a voice to text miscommunication LOL. Good on the 25W lite as that’s what I already have ready at the kitchen table. So, yay, getting these babies started now. Thanks!!!

3 Likes