Ack! Scared of failure, but here goes my first journal - old subject line LOL

Excited to see what you come up with.

2 Likes

Yeah … me, too … LOL … I looked for Tupur locally today as well as both Dynomyco and Great White. When Ace had none of it, which was to be expected, I went to the high end nursery on Harrison towards Mudd Bay aaannnd nope. I know that Top Foods/Haggen just put out a whole crapload of some interesting medium. I had gotten their last two bags of chicken manure last week for my veggies. So, I’m heading there first thing and if they don’t have something I like, I guess I’ll have to hit Home Depot or some other high end nurseries. There are a few 420 stores here that might have product. Even with Prime Amazon, I don’t want to wait for delivery at this point of the Mycorrhizae products. I may end up making my own stuff with what I got here … I’ll sleep on it … but these babies need to get planted tomorrow. Oh, I also got the black 16 oz solo cups today at Party City. LOLOL … funny what I decide to spend my low cash.flow on #priorities

4 Likes

Hey girl!:v: Looks like your doing a great job. :+1:t2:
Been following along. Your in the best hands with @PreyBird1 giving you direction.
Love your details… I’m not as detailed writing as I am doing.
Are you continuing growing inside or outside?

5 Likes

Hi bobette! Thank you for your kind words. I really like this site and all of you peeps. I hope that my journal not only helps me to learn from what I do/did wrong and what I did/do right, but others like me who are knew to this. I’ve already made so many mistakes!!

I plan to be growing outdoors for my first time. I would like to try indoors in the future, but will have to have the right equipment and more skills than for outdoors, I think. I’m preparing an area to put whatever plants that are female. I have two (or more) possible locations and need to take some pics of the areas to get y’all’s thoughts on them, such as is there enough sun, etc.

5 Likes

Update. No, I didn’t disappear. LOL … seedlings are now in a mix in a clear cup with holes cut in the bottom in a black solo cup. Day 4.

How do I water?

Thanks. More later. Also, pics. I’m a little stressed.

3 Likes

Is soil mix in your cups already damp (or has it been wetted)?

I would start by watering around the outside of the soil that was transplanted from the seedling trays. You want to encourage the roots to grow out. The taproot will seek down just fine all by itself. And then water just a little bit more, in widening circles each time you water. I wouldn’t water around the stem, but focus on widening circles.

I water by how heavy my plants feel when I pick up the pots. It can be real hard to gauge though when the plants are this small. So start out with maybe 2.0 oz water per solo cup for a day or two and keep watch on how dry the soil mix looks through the clear cup.

And you can get these for free at RiteAid for when you need smaller amounts of water placed in exactly the right place.

It’s okay. You got this. You know how to grow stuff.

3 Likes

Eh … I lightly sprayed them with water about 30 minutes before transplanting, the same way I lightly spray them about 3 times a day, if that, after feeling the mix. Then after transplanting, I sprayed the tops around the leaves, but not too close to the stem. I feel the soil before spraying and it always feels very soft, velvety, not dry. They feel that way now. I do know that weight matters, so I’ll need to get used to that. So, when you say 2 oz per solo cup, is this when I water from the bottom or from the top circling the stem?

I knew, from @PreyBird1 and others like you @OlyBoy, to transplant deep, so I did. Some could be ever so slightly deeper, but I may just add some mix tomorrow. I put the myco stuff at the bottom of the transplant hole and did a quick light water spray there, not sure why. I think I read that wetting the myco stuff gets it going.

I have some of those type of syringes. I’ll dig them out or ask RA for a new one. I also bought these really cool lids that I can put on a spray bottle to squeeze small amounts of water out. I love them. Sorta like a very light misting/spraying result. I had to get them to water my seedlings because I have wrist issues and the hundreds of spray bottle motions was killing me.

I’m going to post this and then add pics soon. I don’t do much with my cell phone, but I do take pics with it and then I have to either email them to myself or put them on Facebook and then download & edit them before posting. It’s a nuisance, but I hate using my cell for anything other than a quick text or PM or picture taking.

I just had to totally rearrange all my gardening upstairs and downstairs to try to give these babies more light. I know they still don’t have enough lite right now. I’m hoping for sunshine to get this corrected or I’ll have to buy good lite. More on that later.

Thanks so much. I think I did an okay job but I really, really want to succeed. I’m an ‘A’ type student. They look good. Can’t wait to see them start growing.

Okay, so pics next and I’ll see y’all tomorrow.

Samantha

p.s.

Thank you for saying that. I needed to hear it. I do know how to grow stuff. I’ll tell you about my 164 tomato seedling fiasco another time … sigh … live and learn …

4 Likes

Sorry. No pics tonight. My cell is at 2% and my cord is too short to work with. LOL … I was able to lower my LED lights another inch so that they are very close to the babies. And, I added two more lamps, probably just as weak. I want so bad to put them on a heating pad. The house air is about 69 or 70 right now, with it being just another degree or so under the lights. Well, between 70 and 72 … Night!

2 Likes

Update. Pics from last night. Day 5 since they all came up from mix.

Seedlings under LEDs before I lowered them more:

LEDs not long enough for tray of ten, so I added a single LED grow lite and a white LED lite to the last four. It’s all I could do for now:

My gardening buddy in front of the squash plants that share a tray with my seedlings. Squash goes outside today to acclimate:

Closeup of transplant:

No idea what I’m doing but bought and used a nice new meat thermometer to check on soil temp and it’s 72.9 degrees:

So far today all I’ve done is check on the babies and wet the top of the mix. Still unsure exactly how to water, when, etc. with the double cup method. I really should follow my gardening instinct that I already have, but feel this is a special grow and don’t feel as confidant as I do with veggies and flowers.

Gonna do some more GN studying of other’s journals, etc. Always good to get whatever advice, suggestions, critiques you may have to help me along. Very much appreciated.

Back to coffee … Thank you all!

4 Likes

Day 5 - Are they too young to set outside in the sun? I put them out about 45 minutes ago. Surely an overcast day is better than weak LED lites? I wet the top mix a little more since the photos below.

Right now it’s 62 degrees and cloudy, but I see more sun than clouds. It’s gonna slowly climb to 67 degrees by 5p.

Beans inside on table without lites

Beans outside #1

Beans outside #2

8 Likes

You’re doing great, don’t forget to breathe!

4 Likes

My day 1 baby is outside for a few hours today also.

3 Likes

Ooh! Should I cover mine like you did??? Didn’t think to do that!

EDIT: Happened to have had some smaller cups with holes I put in before I decided against bigger cups handy, so I made them the domes. Slightly wetted the mix again. Soil temp is 72.1; outside thermometer in the sun is 81 even though forecast says it’s only 66. We know that sitting in the sun in much warmer than the forecast, right? I’ll probably leave them out until 5ish and bring them in back under the crappy LEDs.

@OlyBoy, your new baby looks very sweet. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you! I feel much better than yesterday. I do need to be reminded to breathe!! I do it to myself, cause stress. I’m a procrastinator because I want to be perfect and then I make decisions at the last minute. LOL … I know myself well. You’d think I’d learn.

4 Likes

I know the mindset, believe me :v:t2:

3 Likes

I’m keeping mine domed because it’s so new and I want to keep the humidity up. I’ll quit using the dome in a few days when the roots are stronger and the first set of leaves have formed.

3 Likes

One of my next phases is putting the plants outside in bigger pots. I’m scouting my yard for possible locations. One site is outside my back door and one site is up a short hill in my back yard. I tend to tend to plants on the lower, closer spot. LOL. Both spots were very old gardens that I stopped using due to roots, etc.

Location outside my back door. Morning to early afternoon sun. Right now, we just use it for storage of old pots, bins, tomato cages, etc.:

Location up a short hill. More sun, but farther away. It’s in worse shape than the lower location. I wasn’t as avid a waterer for the upper hill plants in the past. Not the best photo as the location is in the background right up the small hill:

The lower location also has more privacy as there are a lot of tweaker type peeps who walk down my alley, closer to the upper hill area. These types of people are just out to wreak havoc and try car door handles for rummaging through them. I padlock all my gates …

I need to gauge the sun’s movement, times, etc. to see if it is sunny enough in either location. However, if you already have any advice, I’d sure like to see it!! Thank you!

3 Likes

That’s a hard choice, the lower area certainly has it’s benefits. Safety being the biggest advantage over the top area in my opinion, the last thing you want is a stand off with a desperate tweaker trying to steal your plants or trying to break into your house to look for more plants. Hopefully the lower area will have enough sunlight to make it work, and it would make checking on/ working on your plants that much easier.

2 Likes

If you do decide to use the upper area you may want to get something like these https://www.amazon.com/KOSIN-Personal-Security-Keychain-Emergency/dp/B07NLFQS7T/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=personal+alarm&qid=1619716842&sr=8-3
There easy to waterproof and to set tripwires with, I like to attach one to every plant with fishing line

2 Likes

Thanks, treetrunks! I’m taking notes on the sunshine. I also know it changes over the Summer, so I’m going to look into that. I’m actually surprised with how much sun and how long it’s sunny it is there. And the upper part gets no sun until the sun passes those huge trees. I agree about safety … also I know I will tend to them better if they are closer as I may have to bring them in from time to time, especially at the beginning. Also thanks for the tip on the alarms. I’ve had to put something like that in my car after several rummaging break-ins out in front of the house. Assholes. Sometimes I want to sit on my porch with a BBgun and wait for them. LOL

3 Likes