Advice for new outdoor grow?

This is the advice I followed, but the germination container was so small, I should have waited until the roots were better established. I bet that’s why the direct sowed one is doing so much better. Never have to deal w antsy owner digging it up!

3 Likes

Ew, yeah I was early.

2 Likes

The Zkittlez I direct sowed continues to do well. I added some Dr Earth dry fertilizer as top dressing a week ago. I haven’t needed to water this one in a few weeks, since we’ve been having regular rain. I am happy that this one is doing ok, despite the super-late start. It’s being nibbled by all sorts of stuff, and I’m applying neem oil every couple of days. The new growth is faster than the bugs right now, thankfully.

This is the Zkittlez I just transplanted out of that large plastic pot. To be honest, it looks better already to me. Maybe I’m just being overly optimistic. Lol! I fed it half-doses of those liquid nutes a couple of times in the past week, always in the evening time.

Here is the sunset sherbet plant I removed from its small plastic pot and planted in the garden. In my opinion, the new growth seems healthy, and it’s putting on new leaves pretty quickly. I’ve given this one a couple half-doses of liquid nutes. Other than that, this one has not required any water because of the frequent rain. I added a little wire to keep it steady during a windy afternoon a few days ago. This one is another bright spot for me during my first attempt. It took me a couple tries to get this strain’s seeds to germinate successfully. This one took a full day in water and two more in a paper towel before it finally opened!

And this poor sour kush auto… I surely don’t know how to grow plants in pots. That is for certain. I am going to learn a lot as I set up my tent this weekend. It’s a 4x2. I bought a SF2000 and some basic ventilation stuff. I’m tentatively planning on starting in some FFOF in small plastic pots and then moving to five-gal fabric pots, eventually adding nutes, etc. as needed. I had considered super soil I wouldn’t need to amend, but I reckon that’s one fewer variable I’ll be able to control. Would welcome your thoughts on this, of course!

Right now, I’m very proud of the tomatoes and herbs in the garden. Even my little kids eat this stuff. :slight_smile:

Hope you all have a great Friday and weekend! Happy gardening!

4 Likes

I would not start off in straight ocean forest. That is a very hot soil. Maybe start off in a jiffy puck or some depleted potting soil, or some cocoa. Or some starter soil. It will work in Ocean Forest, but I don’t think I would do it. I have before and I wouldn’t recommend it. If you get some clear solo cups and some solid colored solo cups, cut a couple of the bottom edges off of the clear cups for drainage. Throw a small pebble in the bottom of the colored cup to raise a clear cup A bit off the bottom. What this does for you is as the plant grows you can raise up the clear cup and see your root development. Anyways that’s all I got on that. As far as your outdoor plants I have no idea why they are so light green. It sounds like you’re doing everything right, I don’t know. It acts like a nitrogen deficiency Kinda :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

The Zkittlez plant is doing well! Have given half-doses of nutrients along with a little water over the past few days, as we’ve not had rain.

The stem is really getting thicker. The neem oil seems to be working well, too. The plant is not sustaining much/any new pest damage these days. (Knock on wood!) Am really enjoying watching the fan leaves grow larger. Watching them not get gnawed on is gratifying.

3 Likes

direct sow seed is the best way in my opion no transplanting when growing in soil just add soil for the strectch in seedling.

2 Likes

The plants are coming along, and I’m encouraged, despite some challenges.

The Sunset Sherbet I planted on 6/8 has recovered from its short time in the small pot. It seems to like being in the garden. The dust on leaves is BT. As you can see, I’m fighting caterpillars. Have them under control now, I think. I think you can also see some pistils in the close-up pic. Is that correct?

Uploading: 6079DCED-933D-4CD1-9CCC-0400F67BBAAC.jpeg…

The Zkittlez plant direct sowed on around 6/5 is really growing fast now. I’m fighting leaf hoppers, leaf miners, and caterpillars here, but between neem oil and BT, I think I’ve got this one under control for the moment.

One thing I’ve learned is that these plants would be a lot better in their own bed. Squeezing them between the carrots and the tomatoes wasn’t a great idea in terms of pest prevention.

As I prep for my late summer-autumn auto run outdoors and for my first tent grow this autumn, I am excited to try so many things I’ve learned this summer.

Hope you all are having a great day! Happy gardening!

3 Likes

Get yourself some diatomaceous earth. Dust the ground around your plant with it and the bottom of the stock where it goes in the ground up about 4 inches. This will prevent a lot of pest problems. It disappears after watering a couple times but it still there still working. I reapply every two or three weeks and I don’t wash it off the stem of the plant.It does work for pest control but it’s best used on a regular basis from the start. At least for me it drastically reduces the bugs showing up to start with. Hope this helps.

6 Likes

Hey Happily! Thanks for that advice. I actually bought myself a bag but haven’t pulled the trigger. Will get on it and report outcomes. Hope you and yours are safe and well!

4 Likes

I’m getting some rust colored dots on some leaves. Doesn’t seem to be fungus, cuz it won’t rub off. I’m guessing a deficiency of some kind. But what do I know? This is a plant in my garden, late in pre-flower. What do you think could be causing these dots?

1 Like

HIya! The pics aren’t coming out. They may have still been ‘processing’ when you sent your message?

2 Likes

Dang all this talk of humidity and I sure do feel extra extra lucky. First time I ever got bud rot just because I wasn’t using a fan indoors.

And I was going to mention using diatomaceous earth too. I got a 50lb bag last season. Will suffice me and my buddy years :rofl: good on using the Neem I love the results myself too. I also like using horticulture oil by Monterey Garden it doesn’t kill ladybugs or praying mantis or butterfly. And you can use it almost until harvest if used correctly. Kills all soft body bad insects. If you are really having a bad problem with certain fast growing bugs such as aphids you might want to look into getting a insect growth regulator. It looks like you have it plenty under control. A good integrated pest management IPM system is always needed in any grow.

@pbaker1111
About the nutrients/deficiency have you used any Mycorrhizae or bacteria or trichoderma to help get any nutrients that are in the soil that aren’t readily available to the plants. I like Great White Mycorrhizae it’s got all the goods and is a powder you can either sprinkle on the roots or in the bottom of your transplant hole. Or you can mix it with water and feed it. It’s really helped one of my indoor house plants survive it was having some kind of deficiency and I feed the great white mycorrhizae and that has done the trick ever since.

2 Likes

I think it was mentioned on this page back at the beginning… great white is a must, excellent stuff :+1:. I always recommend it, prey has weighed in on it and a couple others I can’t recall. Got to feed those micro critters and make those roots pop…

3 Likes

Let’s try these pics again. :slight_smile:

As you can see, these rusty spots are not on all leaves. And they’re only showing up on this, the largest of my plants. They seem to be appearing in a pattern, sort of the same distance from the lead edge all the way around the leaf. What do you all think of these spots?

2 Likes

Just bought some from another brand for starting up my indoor grow, but I will dissolve and add some to feed. Just out of curiosity, how often do you feed great white?

1 Like

You know, my bug management is going ok for now. I’ve applied BT a couple times and some neem oil once a week or so. I have purchased some D. Earth, but I’ve been scared to apply. Do you apply it to the foliage directly or in a ring around the plant?

As I move to flower (maybe? Eventually??), I know I need to watch out for different bugs and treat with different products so as to avoid affecting the buds’ flavor/safety. Can you provide any tips?

Thanks so much for any thoughts!

2 Likes

Haha you got it! Lol, thanks for the heads-up.

1 Like

Here are my three photoperiod plants. I haven’t done any training, but I did top one of them, as you can see. Just wanted to learn. Am really amazed how quickly it recovered from topping and how many new nodes it’s put on since then.

I’m in Virginia and am really wondering when I’ll see buds begin to develop. Am super-excited to continue working with these plants this autumn.

2 Likes

Nice I figured great white would have been discussed. I try and feed it every time I transplant and then going from flower to veg and maybe once more in heavy bloom. You shouldn’t have to feed it very often if the microbes have enough nutrients to survive.

The rust color leaves I would just defoliate and let the rest of the plant focus on the new foliage.

https://forum.growersnetwork.org/t/seeder-breeder-grow-journal-let-the-pollen-begin/47850/16?u=970cannetics

So for applying diatomaceous earth. You are mainly supposed to just make rings and boundaries around the base of your plants and maybe sprinkle some up the stem up the plant. A flower sifter works really great for spreading it and keeping it from clumping up. But I personally just cover the whole plants and all as long as they are in veg. No preflower nothing. But it’s meant to just be spread more around the base of the plants. Also it will kill practically any insect so if you do have beneficials you are wanting to keep around don’t spread it onto the plants just focus more on the ground around them. I always trey and do a perimeter around the whole garden or yard area while you are at it.

My thoughts on going into budding is try and knock the bugs back as hard as you can as early as you can going into preflower. Once you get into budding you want to try and stay away from spraying most anything on the plants. If you can get ahead and knock them back enough before budding that’s the best bet but easier said than done. If you do have problems going up into flower. Most of the products you are using can be used up until the day of harvest. What I do to plan before harvest is about one to two weeks before chopping I spray hard one last time and a couple days after spraying I will just wash the whole plant off with water. You can also have a 5 gallon bucket full of water when you are chopping of to the side to dunk all of your branches and wash them off as you chop.

Happy growing!

3 Likes

Cannetics said it all… just a ring a round the rosey with DE. Some ppl even mix it with water and spray the plants which I do NOT do. It has to clog stomata doing that and I’m sure I’ve read it, doubt I came up with that on my own. I’m sure they can unclog themselves usually but it’s that 1% of the time they can’t ya know. If your using Neem oil and BT that’s covers it. I’m on the Azamax train instead of BT but that’s just what I bought 2 years ago…lol the rust spots look like (look) healed mite damage. Its prolly coincidence and I know a couple deficiencies have that trait. But you can’t NOT know you have mites if you smudge the back of a leaf with mites you’ll see yellow guts everywhere. Your doing it all right man it’s just these few battles your winning it seems. It comes with the hobby but you’ll rebound with added knowledge.

4 Likes