Advice for new outdoor grow?

Good job awesome. Definitely looks like you’ve been paying attention. For the very best drying in my opinion it takes 7 to 10 days and I usually keep my humidity around 60 to accomplish this. So if you can put the fan blowing directly at one end of the box for a couple of days to get them to the shriveled up drying stage, where they are not quite crunchy yet and then take the fan off of the box and just let air movement in the room continue slow Air exchange in the box. For storage I shoot for a target number of 62%. Anywhere between 55 and 62 is usually what most people shoot for.

As far as dropping your humidity. They make small dehumidifiers for putting in small places. Under your sink, in your closet, whatever. So if you can find one on craigslist or wherever buy a new one whatever you can put that in a small room or closet with your box. That should lower the humidity in that small area adequately to do what you need.

Congratulations on your first harvest :wink::+1:t3::v:t3:

6 Likes

I battle the humidity here and its exhausting! Thus was my first outdoor grow and i wish i started earlier since it got cold and damp here very quickly and forced my harvest early.

3 Likes

Even if you planted your outdoor plants earlier they still would’ve finished at the same time. You need to look for early finishing plants. Short flowering time doesn’t matter. You can have a seven or eight week flowering time but if they don’t start flowering until the middle of August they will finish flower very late. I look for early finishing plants to grow outside. Two I can recommend that are both Indica‘s are 11 roses and Carmelo. Harvested 11 roses September 1 and the Carmelo two weeks later.

7 Likes

I had a nothern lights that finished pretty early September last year as well

4 Likes

I believe my climate is going to be really good for springtime autos. Am already considering auto strains to start inside in Feb! :wink: I’ve placed an order for those early-finish indicas happily mentioned above, too. That’s some useful info.

5 Likes

Mine are autos… so for me it did unfortunately
they where found seeds and surprised me with the speed I planted them as an experiment… my roommates photo finished earlier I was pushing it as far as I could. Even a week would have helped a lot for mine but lessons learned for next years crop.

4 Likes

I have dried, trimmed, and jarred for curing 109 g of Sunset Sherbet! :slight_smile:

The whole process was exciting and super fun. I dried after trimming off most of the big leaves. Trimming off the remainder was still really hard for me. I’d love your perspective on my trimming.

I jarred up a bunch. One of my jars is sitting at 65% RH, so I’m leaving it be. The other two dried an extra day or two, and they are at 55-58% RH. I have added 62% Boveda packs to those two jars. Am burping them all each day. What should I be doing differently? The aroma is ok but not top-shelf. Do you reckon it’ll develop during curing?

I have harvested and am drying one of my Zkittlez plants. I topped it, so the bulk is in two great big tops. This plant’s branches are drying in my little cardboard drying box.

After a few days in the box, it’s coming along. Am hoping for a good product from this plant. :slight_smile:

Just want to say again how much I appreciate the insights I’ve gleaned from y’all’s thoughts here and in your own journals. Really grateful for the community and your kindness. Have a good day!

2 Likes

I’m no expert, but I think your trimming looks great!

I’m in about week 3 of curing (I stopped taking notes). Anyway, I read in several places to NOT use the humidity packs until the early curing part is over, once they’ve stabilized at around 55% or so. I’ve also read that the aroma gets better and better the longer you cure. I’m still waiting on that, too. I’m noticing a big difference these days. But, like I said, I’m no expert and am just on the tail end of my first grow.

I did buy some humidity packs but am waiting to use them for longer term storage or something like that, maybe it’s when the burping phase is over. I need to find my notes on this.

Everything looks great!

2 Likes

Drying third and final outdoor Zkittlez plant. Am hoping it’ll yield six or so ounces. First two plants are dried, trimmed, and jarred. Sunset sherbet smelling better by the day. Zkittlez smelled great at first, then like hay, and now it’s smelling better again.

I found that the Zkittlez buds were very airy, except for the tops. I assume this is due to light (not enough) and heat (too much). How do y’all work toward dense buds grown outdoors?

Hope you’re all having a wonderful day!

3 Likes

I’ve grown a couple of different zkittles and they’ve all been larfy. But definitely fine smoke :+1:t3:

1 Like

Final plant of the outdoor season’s buds are the best yet!

6 Likes

Final season gets longer days and cooler

1 Like