Age discrimination in the cannabis industry?

@memberdirectory: Have you ever seen instances of age discrimination in the cannabis industry? We see ageism frequently in other industries, but how often does it happen in ours? Let’s have a reflection on age discrimination in the cannabis workplace.

9 Likes

Oregon’s anti-discrimination statute is one of the broadest in the countries. Unlike the federal ADEA, the Oregon statute applies to any employer who employs at least one person. Further, the Oregon statute protects all employees 18 and over. Like the federal ADEA, the Oregon act prohibits employers from taking adverse employment actions against employees based on their age. Employers are allowed to set bona fide occupational qualifications necessary for the normal operation of the employer’s business. An example of a lawful bona fide occupational qualification would be cannabis companies refusing to hire anyone under 21.

As previously discussed, Oregon recently passed equal pay legislation. The equal pay legislation extends to pay discrepancies based on age. Employees performing substantially similar work must be paid the same, regardless of their age, unless one of the exceptions described in the act is met. Age is likely to play a big role in the equal pay legislation since older employees likely have more experience and earn more than new hires in the same position.

Washington

Washington’s anti-discrimination statute has similar parameters to the federal ADEA. The Washington statute applies only to employers with at least eight employees and prohibits discrimination against employees aged 40 and over. Like the ADEA, all employers, including cannabis employers, are prohibiting from taking an adverse employment action against an employee because of that employees age.

California

California prohibits employers with at least five employees from discriminating against employees aged 40 and over. Like the other states, employers are prohibited from discriminating against employees in any aspect of employment, including, hiring, firing, pay, job assignments, promotions, layoff, training, benefits, and any other term or condition of employment.

Age discrimination lawsuits can come with hefty awards. It is important to know the local and federal statutes and even more important to include an anti-age discrimination statement if your employee handbook. Best bets are to review pay practices, hiring, promoting, and termination practices to ensure you are complying with both federal and state requirements. Often times an outside expert can provide a neutral analysis of your practices and how to improve in weak areas.

5 Likes

I was hired by SaferGro in March of 2018. I had retired from owning my wholesale nursery of 35 years. HR offered me this position I am currently holding as Business Development Coordinator. I was impressed that they did not hold my age as a negative to hiring me. I was 63 years “old” at the time of hiring.

6 Likes

I personally have not seen. It. Very diverse in age. At least in Michigan, Colorado, and Vegas. Ohhh, and Canada. My delivery drivers 18th birthday was the day he dropped my shit off :joy::joy:

2 Likes