Agricanna - 1st HydroGrow

10L are good

2 Likes

Thank you for those videos @lukasz, will definitely spend some time on it (knowledge hunger haha).

Agree with you, I was also considering to grow using soil/coco after setting up the hydro, I’ve noticed how much time I spent and will have to spend to maintain and the costs, however the quicker/bigger yields kept me with this idea. I will see how it goes, maybe in future will try with other methods and compare. What is your setup now? Soil?

1 Like

Canna professional plus

• a few other extras: egg shells, sand, sea shells, some earth with guano, etc.
2 Likes

Maybe it’s time to transplant the older seedling? :thinking:

She is about 3 inches from soil… they are both looking good, the younger one slowly making its way up. Thinking of start running the hydro system in a couple of days and transplant them.

2 Likes

Should I be worried about those roots?

The leaves look good though…

They look ready to go into the hydro, both have roots out from the bottom of the jiffy, and I decided no to remove them from jiffy instead use a filter on my return pipe to collect any possible particles.

Will be transplanting today as the older completed 7 days from sprout and the younger 5 days.

4 Likes

The roots look great! Keep it up!

1 Like

Good to know @Slym3r!

I have placed them into the hydro system, made a nutri solution of approx 20L, using Canna Aqua Vega at 300ppm and pH 6.

2L will be sitting at the bottom of each bucket so, 16L in the reservoir. I believe quite a lot for such tiny plants, most likely won’t need to change the solution for the next 2 weeks or so.

It has been a struggle to keep humidity low since started running the water, I really need a heater and a dehumidifier :unamused:

Drip feeding them 15min on/off, do you guys think this amount of water is too much for such a small plant? Have been running it for about 6h and leaves are looking good (not sure if it would change so quickly anyway).

3 Likes

A quick update:

Finally got the dehumidifier :raised_hands:

Changed the solution as the pH was really difficult to keep at low levels (lower than 7) and the water had some strange layer build up at the bottom of the tank/surface of the water (I think was the powder buffer to lower pH I was using, will get a liquid one next time). Also had to change feeding pipe as water wasn’t flowing (no idea why).

Is there anyone out here that has ever used Canna Aqua nutri solution? Whenever I make the mix my pH drops from 6.0 (bottled spring water low TDS) to 4.0, even though the manufacturer states there’s no need to balance the pH after mixing up the solution in water. :thinking:

I have seen that hydroton has pH neutral, does it mean that when combined with a slightly acidic solution (4.0 - 4.5) it’s gonna balance out for better plant absorption?

4 Likes

Hey @Agricanna! So there are a few companies that have ph balanced nutrients, but they still have to be adjusted. Especially in dwc. If your ph is 4.0, you really need to bring it up before giving to your plants. The hydroton won’t balance things out.
I like to drift my ph between 5.7-6.2 to give my plants optimum nutrient uptake.
Powder nutrients aren’t the best for dwc. Definitely go with liquid. I’m a big fan of AN. But their ph perfect technology isn’t perfect either. I still have to ph up and down.

4 Likes

Man, you’ve got everything sorted there! Haha

I will get at this level at some point.

Despite the mistakes with pH they seem to be doing fine. I have already ordered the liquid products, thanks for advising.

There is only one thing that is worrying me, the stem of one of them is showing some white spots, any idea of what this could be @Tygrow78 ? Could it be because of the pH problem I had before?

1 Like

I’ve seen this happen on lots of my plants before. I’m not sure what causes it, but it never effected my grows.
I’ll have to look into it a little more @Agricanna.

2 Likes

Isnt that just roots trying to form?

2 Likes

Yeah!! I’ve made some research and that’s the info I found out. Also after inspecting carefully I could see that at the lowest part of the stem there is actually a tiny root sucking from the hydrotons.

3 Likes

pH sorted, LST started. Plant seems to be responding well to the training.

2 Likes

A week has passed so I thought would leave some updates here.

Plants are doing really well with the LST, surprisingly I noticed one of them already showing some signs of flowering.

I will run the veg nutri for more one week and switch to flower nutri solution. As is an autoflowering will keep the lights at 18/6.

2 Likes

Question for the most experienced in this forum:

Shout out to @Tygrow78 @Hydro @Slym3r @chrisj @ginger420 @lukasz

At the beginning of 4th week of vegetation I broke one of the leafs of my Northern Light auto. The plants look healthy and growing quick (for my understanding, please correct me if I’m wrong haha).

Is it a big issue as I’m losing this leaf? Should I actually defoliate now or at some point in the grow considering it’s a autoflowering? Any thoughts or advises on this phase of growing?

Lights at 18inch and 85% power 18/6 on/off, water pump 15/15min on/off top feeding for 10h, then 15/45 on/off for 14h, EC 1.0 and pH somewhere between 5.5 and 6.0 (dropped my digital pH meter inside the water and now using the coloured drops haha).

5 Likes

My wife grows autos and she defoilates.
Others say will say they dont.
She takes most of the big fan leaves off of hers

3 Likes

I definitely defoilate but to clear up bud sites only!

3 Likes

I also get rid of any small sites or spots that just won’t produce much leaf or bud. Like around the bottom and the middle inside of the plant if that makes sense.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about damaging a fan leaf or 2 @Agricanna. I have no personal experience with auto’s, but I agree that you would at least want to defoliatie over potential bud sites.
That sucks about your ph pen!
I did the same thing to my continuous monitor 2 days ago. But it was an excuse to finally upgrade to a blue lab metcom combo continuous meter. You can grab them for $140 now. Their other meters have always been too expensive for my taste. The guardian starts at $350 and they go up from their.
They are nice tho, cuz all you do is push a button and get a immediate reading. No waiting and dipping a pen.
:v:

3 Likes