AMA with Alex and Miranda Moore of Honeydew Farms -- 11/14/2018

with your creek near by after the initial cost you could generate power from natural gas and hydro electricity, I am not sure on your local water laws and regulations but power isn’t that expensive, we can generate it in so many different ways

7 Likes

We do have a great team this season and have found that the organic practices that we are using work the best for us. In terms of long term soil health, using chemical fertilizers will be very costly in the long run. The pest management products we are using are organic and leave no residue if used at the right times.

7 Likes

Most importantly is control in the nursery. Keeping all of our cloning operations in house improved pest management dramatically. Also being proactive and not waiting to see a problem before acting was key. Once you can see a problem, sometimes it is already too late.

8 Likes

Yes, hydro is actually very expensive and our flows dramatically increase and decrease so it would be challenging for us. We do use propane a lot as well as solar.

7 Likes

Thanks to everyone who has participated in the AMA, and thanks to @mooreproperties11 for being available to answer questions! Everyone is welcome to stick around and keep asking, although the replies may come much more sparingly. Alex and Miranda, thank you so much for your time, and you are welcome to keep answering questions as long as you like, but I understand you have plenty to do as well. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I have sure experienced that first hand. does the soil being “OLD and WISE” play a big factor in your crop health or do you think that it is more pest management

5 Likes

Legalization has been a mixed bag in Humboldt. The economy is actually hurting here in Humboldt due to the large buildout in the rest of the state in areas that are already set up for large agricultural operations.

8 Likes

Both are key. Soil health and pest management are equally important. You cannot have one without the other.

7 Likes

Do you work with organic soil microbials? Do you work with biostimulants for stress management and terpene production? Or do you formulate your own products?

6 Likes