AMA with Alex and Miranda Moore of Honeydew Farms -- 11/14/2018

To coincide with the launch of the full episode of Canna Cribis Episode 5 at Honeydew Farms we will have Alex and Miranda Moore doing the AMA to ask all the inside details of one of the largest grow farms in the world.

You won’t want to miss this one:

• Who: Alex and Miranda Moore with Honeydew Farms
  • What: The grow operation from Canna Cribs E5
  • Where: Right Here
  • When : Wednesday, November 14th at 11 AM MST

Here is an interview with Alex that is taken from episode 5 of Canna Cribs

California’s First Cannabis Farm

Honeydew Farms is Humboldt County’s first conditional use permitted Cannabis Farm. Located in the highly coveted Mattole Valley, our 900 acre Agricultural preserve lies in the foothills of the Lost Coast’s Kings Range. The Mattole’s unique micro climate, with it’s hot days and cool nights, creates the perfect environment, and combined with our over 25 years of cultivation experience, we produce some of the world’s finest medical Cannabis. Our cultivation sites range in elevation from our valley floor at 200 feet, to our ridge tops at 900 feet, creating distinct differences in our batches. At Honeydew Farms, we pride ourselves on being environmentally conscious stewards of our historic ranch and farm. With abundant surface water from the Mattole River, Honeydew Creek, and Beartrap creek, we pride ourselves in the fact that none of this water is diverted for cultivation of our fine Cannabis. Honeydew Farms uses only the finest organic amendments to build our living soils. We reuse all soils each season and support local companies for our products. Honeydew Farms truly believes that the world is a better place with medical Cannabis and it is our goal to bring you the finest environmentally conscious cannabis available.

Web site: https://www.honeydewfarms.com/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/honeydew_farms/?hl=en

6 Likes

If you have any questions for @mooreproperties11 (That’s Alex and Miranda!), feel free to start asking them now.

5 Likes

It’s slightly off the subject, but it wasn’t covered in Canna Cribs or the interview… but how did you two meet? I imagine there’s quite a story behind it.

4 Likes

Big Ups Honeydew!!!

5 Likes

@everyone The AMA is starting now! Come on down and ask Honeydew about their grow and their experiences!

4 Likes

Miranda and I met 7 years ago, thru a mutual friend

5 Likes

Thanks dude! Another great year with your products!

6 Likes

Hello, Thank you for this AMA. I have two questions. First, what is the average cost per gram of dried flower cultivated outside. I know it depends on the cultivation practices, level of automation and such, but I appreciate a rough range estimate. Secondly, What do you think of outdoor with force-flowering (100% light proof solutions) versus indoor cultivation? Thank you, in advance!

5 Likes

Hi guys! I loved your Canna Cribs episode and your whole set up. There’s this air of wonder associated with Humboldt County cannabis, and being stuck in AZ I felt myself becoming a little envious during the episode :wink:

So my question is, what is your favorite part of owning and working your farm? Is there anything you don’t like about it?

4 Likes

Hi, cost per gram is still very hard to determine on this scale due to typical farm issues that can cause labor cost to vary. That being said we are still bring in our harvest so haven’t been able to figure out yet. we foce flowering with light proof tarps and it works well but need to have your timing perfect. You can still get more harvest with indoor, but its more expensive to run

5 Likes

Have the California wildfires affected your team?

3 Likes

Thank you! Another quick questions. Many believe that soon indoor grow will lose the competition to outdoor grow. What you think about this trend?

5 Likes

Thank you! My favorite part is being on the Ranch, its gorgeous. Being in control of our build out and every aspect of farming I love. what is tough is the unknowns of farming, there’s always issues that can take you out. Cannabis is a very sensitive plant. Dealing with weather issues can lead to a lot of stress.

6 Likes

100%, in our region now that we don’t have to hide our plants and can grow in full sun the product is amazing! this isn’t the case everywhere tho. I believe the more we study the terpine profiles of natural outdoor flower grown in soil, in different micro climates we will see a major difference. I have heard from patients more and more the affects they get from sungrown flower for their medical needs is better than indoor

7 Likes

No we have been very lucky the last few years.

6 Likes

Have you had any scares with fires before?

5 Likes

Yes, a fews years back we had a large fire that threaten our Ranch on summer. Fortunately no smoke damage

6 Likes

@mooreproperties11 It appears you have a team with a vast amount of problem solving abilities. You mentioned that you have explored organic to more conventional farming practices in terms of nutrient and pest control programs. I would assume you have found something in the middle of sustainability and affordability. Have you been faced with pest compliance and residue testing issues? Specifically due to the grey area of approved AI in materials and navigation by local regulatory agencies?

7 Likes

Sorry to jump in late and if it was asked already. How do you do such a good job with bugs and molds at a facility of that size?

7 Likes

Wondering how legalization in California has affected the cannabis economy/employment in the state or Humboldt specifically. I’d love to hear your insights.

7 Likes