🍃 AMA with James Yagielo, CEO of Hempstaff Thursday, August 1st at 11 AM PST

Yes, we do staff all over the country and recently even in other countries like Canada and Jamaica. The requirements tend to be close to the same … however pay can differ greatly between an established state and a new state, which has to ususally offer higher pay to attract experienced employees.

12 Likes

Absolutely, about 50% of the people we staff are over the age of 40 - especially since we staff a lot of management positions. We suggest looking at the skills your have and think of what position it applies to in the cannabis industry - you can usually make the switch for close to the same pay, or even a little more, based on your previous experiences and employment.

12 Likes

What schooling or degrees does a company look for that stands out to a cannabis business? Or does experience take center stage?

6 Likes

Do you only staff for employers looking for open positions or do you help people who are trying to start their own businesses in the industry?

7 Likes

I assume the “starting at the bottom and working your way up” would certainly apply to the cannabis industry too James?

6 Likes

The type of schooling depends on the position, let me give a quick rundown on degrees:
Cultivation: Botany, Horticulture, Agriculture Degrees
Extraction: Chemistry, Chemical Engineering Degrees
Dispensary Management: Pharmacy or Previous Manager of Fast paced food or Retail

For dispensary agents, a simple certification, such as our 4 hour certification, is usually all you need as well as previous retail, customer service and or cash handling. Obviously there are other things like accounting, sales and marketing that apply as well.

8 Likes

We only help existing business find employees, we do not assist with getting a cannabis business license at this time. However, we do have partners we refer people to that are interested.

8 Likes

Do you know of a company like the SBA that works specifically in the cannabis industry?

4 Likes

I’m curious about how pay and taxes are handled? Being that it’s a cash business for the most part how does that translate to an employee?

5 Likes

How do applicants get started with the Hempstaff recruiting process? What is involved?

5 Likes

Yes - almost always you have to work your way up from the bottom, especially for those looking at cannabis-touching jobs. However, this industry promotes very quickly, especially as new states open programs and poach employees from existing states. One example - 4 years ago someone got a job through us for $12/hour as a Budtender, worked their way up to a $20/hour manager in 3 years, and last year relocated across country for $85K/year as a dispensary manager.

8 Likes

Fantastic hope for us 50+ looking for career changes.

8 Likes

Is that something someone could just pay for and take just because??? Is it offered online?

5 Likes

We do not - small business loans are generally not available in the cannabis industry, due to it being federally illegal, which I think is what the SBA assists with? If you are looking for consultants that assist you with a license for a fee - those do exist.

5 Likes

what would u be looking for as far as experience when it comes to grows or employment in a grow? How would one prove their experience/knowledge?

4 Likes

Most of the time companies hire a HR or Payroll company. Some may use a Credit Union. However, almost all cannabis employees are paid a regular paycheck with taxes taken out. There are still a few cases of employees being paid cash as a 1099 and responsible for their own taxes, but that is few and far between -most are now W2 employees getting regular paychecks.

6 Likes

Great point, @doctorbob.

Doe you see ageism as rampant in the cannabis industry as we often see in other industries? I feel ageism is an area of discrimination not often discussed in our cultural discourse.

4 Likes

Awesome thanks. That was a big concern for me. I’ve been self employed most my adult life. I’m tired of dealing with that part lol.

5 Likes

To get started with HempStaff - visit our website www.hempstaff.com - Register and upload your resume for free - this will get you into our database to notify you of training and job openings in your area.

Also check our job board for up to date job openings: https://cannabisemployment.com

6 Likes

Not a loan. Yes consultants. They help u along the way with knowledge

If I was considering opening a grow to plate restaurant they would help from concept to paperwork to walk u through the process. I’m guessing there are a few extra steps when it comes to this industry

3 Likes