AMA with Rory - Head of Grower Support for Advanced Nutrients. Tuesday July 2nd 11AM PST

I see a ton of the people I’ve been helping doing amazing things with a lot of the new autoflowers.

I am excited to see their future!

4 Likes

Yup not a problem.

Nutrients for coco do have adjusted amounts of Calcium, Magnesium, Iron and some other tweaks, but they’re 100% fine in soil.

Out of curiosity, what brand of soil are you using?

7 Likes

I mix vermifire, roots greenfields and NFTG #4.

2 Likes

nice mix! biggest thing I’d say is just offset the base nutrients until the soil charge is depleted, but supplements are fine to feed during that time.

(although I have a feeling you already know this lol, since you are at the level where you customize your soil)

3 Likes

I mix for a few reasons.

I like NFTG but I find it a little too airy and my seedlings will float when watered. Vermifire will cake up and water will roll off by flower. And roots just doesn’t have the charge and acids I like. But all 3 together seem to b pretty awesome.

I don’t start feeding until I lose my cots and I start feeding full force.

Until then I just use fish shit and ph water with bud candy

3 Likes

That is very interesting to know. I actually have some of those nutrients I have put off using. I’m going to try next time. Thank you.

Good question @justgrowin

4 Likes

Hot soils are currently the biggest source of pain for the grower support department at AN due to the influx of new home growers.

many of them are grabbing Miracle Gro, or the Garden Center varieties of Promix with 6-9 month nutrient charges due to lack of knowing any better. So they usually call with yellowing leaves, deformities etc due to the extreme charges of low quality nutrients in their soil, and unfortunately once the plant is established, they’re pretty much stuck on the roller coaster (we’re usually able to salvage things a bit)

5 Likes

no issues with the Cannabis specific hot soils though, as long as the growers know what they’re getting into.

5 Likes

That is so true! I’ve used a cannabis hot soil from the start and just learned how to work with it.

4 Likes

Lol. I love cannabis growers who use MG

Anyone who does their homework would know they have publicly stated they don’t want their products used in the cultivation of marijuana so they have formulated their products as such.

Time release is a big no no

I never go above a 35 day charge

2 Likes

and thats the thing, once you start going for longer charges… you run the risk of say an enzymatic or bacterial reaction making more of those nutrients available sooner.

so the soil that theoretically was supposed to last 6 months is all of a sudden making almost everything available to the plant.

4 Likes

education is the big thing though, hydroponic stores love selling soils like FF Ocean Forest because the profit margins on it are better than bales of Promix etc… But they don’t inform the novice growers about the charge in their soil.

so that grower only realizes it once they’re locked out or burning. Which is a shame, because there are already enough speedbumps when you’re learning to grow

5 Likes

I’ve never used FF. It seems to b popular amongst newer growers for some reason.

Never really figured that one out.

2 Likes

its not awful, but I think a lot of it just comes down to availability and profitability for the stores.

Its availability is nice though for my team, since we often have to walk growers through their first few runs. Its a soil thats at least available in most of the USA. In non-legal states its usually the best option available to growers.

soil/rootzone chemistry I’d say is a huge source of pain for most new growers

2 Likes

I’m in a state where if I get caught with a joint roach in my car I would catch a 6 mos sentence but my girls are worth lobster over a Big Mac anyday.

I guess I’m lucky that my hydro store carries everything but doesn’t push the higher profit stuff.

We took a trip last month to a legal state and went into a dispensary. We had pics of our buds and the guy serving us said we wouldn’t find anything of that quality around and wanted to know if he could buy some of ours. :woman_facepalming:t2:

6 Likes

I’m interested in your Iguana Juice. How does it compare with Earth Juice’s Original 5?

5 Likes

thats the biggest thing we see here in Canada too. really nice flower still commands a high price. Unfortunately too many dispensaries end up selling product that tests positive for myclobutanil, abamectin etc… and more importantly, grown without love :broken_heart:

7 Likes

you should see a measurable improvement, Our Iguana Juice is a fairly evolved organic base (organic fertilizer tech has come a LONG way in the last few years) especially some of the amino acid complexes we use etc.

on a regulatory level, I’m not sure earth juice carries certification? (i could be wrong)

proof is in the pudding though, shoot me a DM and I’ll get a bottle out for you to make an assessment on what fits your grow best.

5 Likes

I have to run. Thanks for your time and knowledge. It’s appreciated.

5 Likes