🍃 AMA with Tim Dahler of PowertrakGrow Wed April 17th 11 AM PST

Where do you see PowerTrakGrow in 5 years? How will you fit into the evolving cannabis industry?

1 Like

Per your graphic on PAR your light produces a high peak of UVB (420 NM), a lot of UVA but also a high amount of UVC. UVB is so strong that, while the UVB is on workers must evacuate the area in order not to get severe sunburn. UVC, which shows up on your graphic as also very high, is actually lethal. Exposure must be limited to just 15 seconds to avoid damage as UVC is right next to UVD (X ray - next is gamma ray.)
From my studies UVB LED lights are 1. VERY expensive and 2. only last about 3,000 hours. To supply enough UVB to make a difference a worker would get skin damage VERY fast and no amount of UVC would be safe if directly exposed.
As far as far red plants outdoors are exposed to a concentration of far red at dusk. It is a spectrum that is completely overwhelmed by the other spectrums at high noon. if you did spectrum graphics of sunlight every 2 hours you would have completely different spectrum graphs for each time period.
There’s no doubt you can increase terpenes and THC production by manipulating these spectrums but I don’t see the data included in your article to be able to conclude your light can accomplish this.
I did 2 grows with KIND LED lights who claimed to have UVB in their spectrum. Upun testing they produced no UVB.
Robert Eakin
Grower since 1968

6 Likes

Brandon has the Force!!

6 Likes

The Force is strong on that one!

2 Likes

Are you using two wavelengths of FR LEDS or is this a “shoulder” peak from your red LEDs? ( I would expect a sharper peak from a single wavelength LED)

2 Likes

I’m sure Tim will add to this…, another value that sets PTG apart from the LED manufacturers is that we have been in energy management 20+ years and LED lighting for that long as well…, as energy management and cost containment are a primary focus of operations, we have customers from NY to Hawaii …, and plan to be around for a long time.

3 Likes

Hi @thomas.mihalko,

when did you start to deal with horticulture lighting?

2 Likes

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/vp/10cf817e67503ef2501e986da00a7dc9/5CB9C3D2/t50.2886-16/56209711_1995169124111867_3122409467203813376_n.mp4?_nc_ht=scontent.cdninstagram.com

4 Likes

I apologize, that graphic is not a spectrum of our lights, it is a spectrum of full sun par values. UVB is 5W and controllable for only 30 to 180 seconds per 15 minutes for the very reasons you stated. There is a warning LED indicator that shows when UVB is active. Each color is programable in time and intensity throughout a 24 hr period so we can simulate what your are referring to regarding high noon to dusk. Having engineer run an full intensity spectrum now I will post result asap.

4 Likes

When you consider the technology advancements in LED it doesn’t seem that long, however, we have been working as test LED of choice in Canada’s test lab in Toronto for well over a year, as well as proven test results in SENECA’s lab with different vegetables since early 2017

3 Likes

The spectrum in the first post shows the

PAR action spectrum (oxygen evolution per incident photon) of an isolated chloroplast.

3 Likes

And we’ll look forward to seeing you in the GN community and at upcoming trade shows. Guys, thanks for taking the time to be with us today. Is there anything you might like to add before we close out today’s AMA?

Are you running any special 4/20 deals?

1 Like

We have our new app launching within the next 2 months, that will allow users to upload and share recipes and even copyright and sell their recipes through our site/app. Screen shot of a flower recipe i’m using.

3 Likes

We will be in booth 420 at the CWCBExpo in NYC, come May30- June1st… deals abound.

3 Likes

Awesome! We’ll look for you in NY!

Thanks again, everyone

Cheers :evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

Thank you, Nick for all your help and coordination.

Tom

2 Likes

Happy to be here :bluntparrot:

2 Likes

My Engineers are telling me it is difficult to measure the UVB because the integrated sphere and par meter only measures higher than 350nm. I will make sure to find a reliable source to show the UVB. See spectrum w/o UVB. X7+ at 170W

9743a5a79c67e4f4f7702c4b5101fdf2

3 Likes

Yes and still going through prototypes. :slight_smile: As designers we know we can always make a product better.

3 Likes

Protective Glasses are recommended for sure, as for other health concerns I don’t think this has been studied to a point of conclusion. I would recommend long sleeves and a hat as a precaution just as you would on a sunny day. There is certainly no more risk than going into the sun or exposure to HPS or CMH.

3 Likes