🍃 AMA with Todd McCormick: ECS Homeostasis and YOU! Wed March 27th 11 AM PST

That’s an amazing testament to the powerful ability of cannabis to effect our ECS and mitigate tremendous pain and inflammation. Very happy to hear you were able to find some relief from a life event that can really change a lot of people. What route do you take your cannabis? Edibles? Smoking? RSO?

4 Likes

That’s a fantastic question, as even anti-cannabis humans can also benefit from modulating their ECS, and at some point will have to.

Personally, I’ve been trying to find bridges of understanding to anti-cannabis people for a long time, and I feel that the ECS is really the best argument that can be made to somebody that they should look into cannabis as a therapeutic agent, because now science is showing us that all use of cannabinoids are physically therapeutic. There is really no denying the medical utility cannabis has in our lives anymore. I would even argue that all, yes all use of cannabis is therapeutic, because science is showing us that our ECS uses the chemicals in cannabis to modulate a lot of our bodies everyday functions.

I still believe an adult use, I still support the euphoric qualities of cannabis on a Friday night as opposed to drinking alcohol. But, I don’t think your ECS cares how euphoric your feeling when it is using those same chemicals to reduce inflammation, lower your blood pressure, reduce intraocular pressure in somebody with glaucoma, or simply making somebody who is feeling sad, happy.

6 Likes

You and I are in the same boat, I had a spinal fusion back in 1972, that fused together my first five vertebrae, cannabis definitely helps me maintain the pain levels so that I am not incapacitated in misery.

It also has auxiliary benefits such as helping me sleep through the night, maintaining my appetite when the pain is overwhelming and I don’t feel like eating. It definitely does not make the pain go away completely, but, it certainly mitigates it.

6 Likes

Is this what you mean by achieving “Homeostasis through ECS?”

3 Likes

Absolutely. I am not trying to get my anti-cannabis friends “high”…I simply care about them, want them healthier and off pharmaceuticals. Yet there are still so many old wives tales out there and there jobs still won’t accept the treatment. Crazy!

4 Likes

I would also like to suggest people start looking at the other oil that cannabis makes: Hemp seed Oil.

The EFA’s in hemp seed oil are also anti-inflammatory and help our bodies make endocannabinoids.

6 Likes

So, when we are making a product like RSO, are you suggesting we use hemp seed oil?

4 Likes

Oh absolutely…1000% agree. I have chronic pain induced insomnia and cannabis is the only solution that works.

4 Likes

Yes, the ECS works to balance our bodies. All those are excellent examples of how it fine-tunes our everyday activities without us even realizing it.

Many of the people you talk to, if you ask them why they use cannabis, they will tell you, “cannabis helps me feel normal”, and really what they are describing is homeostasis.

Interestingly, the woman who gets cannabis from the federal government, Elvy Musikka, receives her cannabis for her glaucoma condition, but as a side effect of using cannabis for the last 30+ years, she has also seen a reduction in the swelling from her hereditary arthritis, which was a side effect from using cannabis.

6 Likes

Missed this question. I prefer edibles. With pain treatment specifically, I prefer the body “high” over a head “high”, so edibles seem to be the most effective. Being on the computer all day and in meetings, I can’t afford to be “overly euphoric” while on the clock.

5 Likes

That is a brilliant way of describing cannabis…homeostasis. Very accurate!

5 Likes

Yes, I am putting a recipe in my book that explains to people that hemp seed oil is a solvent to cannabinoids and terpenes.

I recommend people stay away from alcohol extractions, especially homemade RSO. Alcohol has a boiling point higher than many of the monoterpenes that are lost in the evaporation of the alcohol. The heat of alcohol extraction also decarboxylates the cannabinoids, which can make the “medicine” unusable to people who do not wish to experience the euphoric effects of cannabis through their workday.

7 Likes

In regards to the ensemble effect (shoutout to Dr. Grinspoon), what is the fear of losing some of those monoterpenes during the decarboxilazation processes?

5 Likes

I love what you’re saying about edibles, depending on how much of the THC is decarboxylated, will determine how euphoric the edible is.

A big point I am trying to make in the book is that THCA is both a very effective, and non-euphoric way of getting the medical benefits of cannabinoids, without the high getting in the way.

6 Likes

Story of my life! Preach!!!

3 Likes

Love the use of “ensemble effect”, I think Doctor Grinspoon is right on with the correct terminology.

There is no fear in losing them, but there is a lot to be said for true “full spectrum” cannabis medicine, and using the flower as the measuring point of full spectrum, meaning the cannabinoids and terpenes contained in the flower before processing, we see that the more subtle terpenes that boil away at the lower temperatures are the ones that are responsible for giving cannabis it’s signature smell of a particular variety. Those terpenes are also mildly therapeutic and I would hate to lose them if they can be saved in the extraction process.

5 Likes

Hi Todd, i agree with you on the subject of thca, as well as cbda. I found that in late stage cancer, these 2 work amazingly. As far as anything activated/decarboxilated goes, not so much.

Any thoughts on the theory of our livestock consuming hemp and passing on to what our ECS needs? Back in the old days?

6 Likes

Granted I am not nearly as eloquent or educated in the topic, but that is how I semi-explain edibles to those in similar situations. It reduces the pain greatly, without me being glued to the couch.

4 Likes

I agree “ensemble” makes more sense than does the old misnomer “entourage effect”, first coined by Dr. Mechoulam. The overall interaction between the terpenes and cannabinoids is almost symphonic in nature.

Can you share some of Dr. Grinspoon’s contributions to the book?

3 Likes

I think you can salvage some of the terpenes with the use of a cold trap inline, but don’t know whether it would be denatured.

4 Likes