🍃 AMA with Yan Ren-Butcher Ph.D. Wednesday, March 6th at 11 AM PST

@memberdirectory

6 Likes

I Used low wattage UVA and UVB on my plants from start to finish. Just like the sun puts off UV full time so should you.

5 Likes

I agree! My crops love UVB light!

4 Likes

Would love to see the presentation that you gave at the Emerald Conference last week.

4 Likes

I think the EC will actually have all their presentations online shortly. Perhaps @emeraldscientific can speak more to that. Dr. Butcher may even be kind enough to grace us with a copy. I was actually there for it and she was awesome! Unfortunately her Q&A session was long enough to allow for only one question. I believe she will be able to share some of her wealth of knowledge on the subject of UV today in our AMA!

6 Likes

I am extremely curious to see this

5 Likes

looks interesting

5 Likes

As a provider of UVB LEDs (285, 295, and 310 nm) and 3+ years of working with growers on experiments for supplemental–this is where my curiosity comes in…I know what I have seen and best conditions but I have tremendous respect for Dr. Butcher–starting back to when we first met and talked about UV at the first ever Indoor Ag Con

4 Likes

Dr. Butcher may be the preeminent authority on UV and cannabis growth today. We are very fortunate to have her joining us today and sharing some of her research.

4 Likes

Hello, everyone. I am Yan Ren-Butcher, the host of today’s AMA. I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

6 Likes

welcome, may I ask a question?

3 Likes

Thanks so very much for being here with us today, @yrenbutcher! It’s an honor to have you here.

2 Likes

Go for it, @richhamilton ! The AMA is open to anyone who might want to ask a question of our expert hosts.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the invitation of AMA. It’s my great honor to be here to talk with growers.

4 Likes

Can you share a little about your background? How did you come to study cannabis and UV light supplementation?

2 Likes

whats would say would be the optimal amount of UV to maximise your yield. and at which point is to much?

3 Likes

Hi Peter, nice to see you here as well. Thank you for your compliment!

3 Likes

Sure, to save time, I just copy & paste my bio here: Yan Ren-Butcher, Ph.D., is the Director of Horticulture Science at Illumitex. She represents Illumitex to engage in the Ag Committee at Californian Cannabis Industry Association. Her job is focused on providing Plant & Light educational training and scientific contents (such as white paper, grower guides), leading product trials, collaborating with research institutions and universities, as well as providing sales support to customers/growers. After earning her PhD degree in Horticulture Science from Texas A&M University, she started career as a Plant Scientist at Phillips Research. In addition to managing research projects with universities, she co-published the results of multiple studies in peer-reviewed journals. Later, she became a Product Manager at Hubbell Lighting to develop LED horticulture lighting products. Yan has many years of experience, focusing largely on helping to bridge the knowledge gap between lighting and horticulture to ensure her consumers understand the value of the lighting technology and find the right lighting solutions for their applications. She recently published white paper “Ultraviolet Supplement for Cannabis Production” and made a major contribution to Illumitex’s Cannabis Grower Guide as well as Vine Crop Grower Guide.

4 Likes

Haha! It’s hard to beat the ease of copy paste bios! Nice!

What initially interested you about studying the effects of UV light on cannabis?

2 Likes

As I mentioned in my presentation, I attended the XIII intl symposium on light in horticulture in 2016 and learned from the keynote speech “UV LEDs in horticulture: from biology to application”. I met Peter at Indoor Ag conf and started to talk about UV benefits on plant growth. And then read bunch of scientific publications about UV for plants. All of these info made me really interested in effect of UV on plant/Cannabis for yield, quality and disease control. And therefore wanted to share them in Cannabis community.

4 Likes