Any commercial hemp growers on here?

Any commercial hemp growers on here? Doing some R&D about growing on my 80 acres in Michigan which is used for soy beans and corn. Iv always wanted to do something bigger and better. One day (hopefully soon) I’d like to build my own processing facility along with growing and harvesting. So here’s some questions.
Harvesting for Cbd vs seed an fiber?
Autos vs regular?
Best strains?
How often do I have to test plants?
Best cultivation methods?
How to project profits?
Any good place to start reading up and studying?
This forum has always been so helpful, figured this was a good starting point.

4 Likes

I do not know of anybody farming hemp at the moment. But I will ask around and if I find something out I will let you know.

4 Likes

I appreciate it :grin:

1 Like

If you go to the top right hand corner of your page and see the little magnifying glass basically search tap that and type in where to find hemp seeds. A ton of information that you were looking for is going to pop up right there.

3 Likes

Did not know that. Thanks!

2 Likes

You got it anything I can do to help. If you have a question for me or you read something on another journal and you want to respond to that person directly you can tag them bye typing the @ sign and then typing their name like I’m going to do to you right now. @dillydilly

2 Likes

Hi @dillydilly

Exciting times ahead, maybe @hemptons can give some more insight as they have dealt with loads of hemp farmers.

Harvesting for Cbd vs seed an fiber?
Really depends on what license you can get and how much you willing to invest. All of it can be done at home if you just doing it for R&D, depending on your state/county laws. I know fibre can be extracted with very basic machinery as per my post here.

Autos vs regular?Best strains?
Really depends on what you decide to grow, best strains for oils would be strains with a high tricome and CBD count. Best strains for seed would be varieties that grow fat seeds, and the best for fibre would be long tall varities that produce long stretch fibres.

USA has a long history of hemp, so you might be able to access good quality seeds locally. However most countries import their seeds from Eastern Europe/France, as they have long used hemp for what its worth.

Best cultivation methods?
With regards to hemp and your background, I see outdoor in soil as the best method.

How to project profits?
Not to sure, and you would have to do alot of market research. I know China is producing most of the worlds fibre, 300 tonnes plus ( I think ), so it would be hard to compete.

Any good place to start reading up and studying?
With the changes in legislation and renewed interest in hemp. It might be good to start looking locally, see if any other farmers are doing it, look for local farmer associations that are investing in farmers wanting to trial hemp.

4 Likes

Thanks @chrisj i didn’t know China was that big into hemp, those people really do make everything :expressionless:
I did send an email to a local growing company requesting a tour possibly even some sort of partnership, fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:
I’m still doing my research and crunching numbers. Hopefully I can find a way to break ground next year and start something!

2 Likes

That is great to hear. fingers crossed to. I have seen a farm in USA that does hemp building tours and courses. If I find it I will post it. Happy hemp hunting. Post some positive updates.

3 Likes