Anyone here have experience working security at grow facilities?

I am taking a position providing armed security at marijuana grow facilities in my area. I have no shame in admitting I know nothing about the production of marijuana nor am I a user although I do fully support its legalization. My question is can someone give me a quick generic rundown of daily operations at your average facility and what threat level are they facing? I’ve heard they are having a lot of issues in our area and instead of hiring your average guard or moonlighting cop they are willing to pay substantially more and go through companies such as private security firms and military contracting groups that offer highly trained individuals. Is the threat level these facilities face really that severe to the point its necessary to have such individuals providing security or are they just being extra cautious operating under the it’s better safe than sorry mindset? My background is special forces and state police SRT with a few tours overseas as a military contractor so working in a hazardous environment is nothing new to me I am just genuinely curious. Please don’t take this the wrong way either I’m not saying this is the case for every facility and for all I know the information I’ve received is totally false but I am just now learning about and getting into the industry so the more I know the better, knowledge is power afterall.

3 Likes

From what I’ve seen most professional operations are fairly secure but I think with such a large value crop it’s always better to be safe then sorry. I hear of alot more robberies ect on the dispensary side of cannabis, ( products are already packaged and ready to go, cash is around and the general public both knows about the location and may be familiar with the layout). In my area they also want a list of employees and their security clearances for liscensed production facilities.

2 Likes

Hi @treetrunks, greetings from Ecuador, South America. I’m starting in the cannabis business in my country and I’m very curious also in this topic. What I’ve see (from behind my computer screen) is that transportation could be very problematic. Will keep an eye on this post!

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it isn’t a state requirement for commercial grows. Here in Missouri they have all kinds of rules, and a lot more for commercial grows versus private grows. They require a locked room within a locked house here for a home grow. Not just inside, it has to be a separate locked room inside the house.

It wouldn’t take long to haul off a substantial dollar amount of cannabis.

Marty

4 Likes

Hi @killergeico0372 , welcome to GN and nice different questions you are asking. Best place to start and get an idea of commercial and secure growing facilities is Canna Cribs:

I am sure one of the legal requirements is security and cannabis is still a very dangerous industry due to cash being used and the high value of the crop.

I was thinking the exact same question a couple months ago. I was in a drying a facility with about $150000 worth of drying cannabis. All that was preventing me from taking it was my morals, cameras and electric fence. I did think, I would hate to be sleeping here my myself at night watching over this crop.

I think the threat level is up to you and your research. Check local news, get some inside information from your new colleagues.

2 Likes