Anyone using trainers? Advice?

Does anyone use these? They are a pain in the ass unless there is easier way.

Not sure the stress I caused applying these is going to be worth the spread. Any two cents?

3 Likes

Heya @boozer , personally I have not used them, but seen several friends use them with very good reviews. Some guy is locally producing them and would like to get my hands on some. I think they work well from what i have seen.

2 Likes

I tried them and the stem I put them on fell off today. I’d say don’t! Lol

4 Likes

Hmm 12 hrs. Better recovery than I thoght

And here’s where I got careless

And even this butcher job is coming to in just 12 hrs.

4 Likes

Hopefully they don’t fall off tomorrow @tammydc

4 Likes

whatever spreads that canopy. i personally used different gauge wire that i cut and twisted to stake them into the dirt, but that’s work that i enjoy doing

2 Likes

It took about a week. Sorry.

2 Likes

Oh no… Lol they didn’t like that did they lol.

2 Likes

Oh good. Lol

1 Like

Nope, my babies didnt enjoy the torture…lol

1 Like

Ok they are off and I believe they worked. I’m gonna give them a go again. Seems like decent spread

3 Likes

I use pipe cleaners or hemp rope to bend. Looks nice tho

4 Likes

I’ll use old electrical wiring with the casing on

3 Likes

I tried those also. I think you are right about the stress caused putting them on. I won’t use them again. I don’t know what everyone else uses.

2 Likes

Why dont you just use wire like when they do bonsia.

4 Likes

I am a bonsai guy. the issue that i see with bonsai wire is that these plants grow too fast as compared to trees so it will cut into them easier and wire is too stiff for the smaller branches that you want to manipulate.
you would be better to use the other bonsai method of clip and grow where you force a plant to grow in certain directions by strategic pruning with stakes and tilting the pot.
i use the rubber coated plant wire that i wrap around a wood stick (buy a pack of shish kabob sticks sticks for $2) bend a loop in the end of the wire to wrap around your branch then push the stick into the dirt to hold it in position.

here are a few tortured specimens of mine that show what i mean.
(the bottom pic was done a bit differently, i laid the pot on its side when it was starting to grow and pruned it to only grow specific branches.)

8 Likes

Very nice training! And thanks for the pointers!

4 Likes

That`s a great looking plant walley!

3 Likes

thanks, that was actually the first plant that i grew when i got my grow tents and started growing indoors.
another trick i should mention for anyone looking to shape a plant to grow in specific ways is to place the plant pot in a bucket filled with sand or gravel so you can tilt it in ways that make it bend towards the light naturally. you just have to hold it back with a wire as i showed in the pics above then tilt it the opposite direction. it is the lowest stress technique that you can do because you aren’t actually bending the plant, it is bending itself. you can also start them off bending as soon as they start growing.

on a side note, not to discourage training, but i found the longer i do it, the less training i do lol.
for all the extra time and effort and attention needed to do it right i did not see a great difference in yield or quality when compared with plants that i simply topped and pruned a few times. it completely depends on your style of growing. i think i would go back to training if i grew a sea of green or wanted to put multiple plants into a confined area, then i would grow some candelabra style like the one below.

4 Likes

Very interesting plants! Blows me away! Great job!

2 Likes