Are Idaho cops going rogue?

Are police in the State of Idaho violating interstate commerce laws by arresting and prosecuting drivers of federally-legal hemp shipments?

Three recent high-profile arrests of drivers transporting hemp would might leave you thinking that state police are in the wrong. One driver is suing the Idaho State Police in federal court to get his hemp shipment back before the load begins to deteriorate.

Meanwhile, the USDA issued a memo last week clearly allowing for the interstate transport of hemp products.

Here’s an article to digest:

What do you think will be the outcome of these cases? How will the 9th Circuit rule? What will be the long term repercussions for the rest of the country?

5 Likes

It’s the “State” and the County that are rogue. Legal analysis when I have more time. Suffice it to say that the judge is an embarrassment to the idea of justice, and the prosecutors are an exemplification of the meaning of the word “attorney” - one who atorns, i.e., twists and turns one thing into another.

Wouldn’t hurt to contact the Ada County prosecutor.

"Now, those backing the Change.org petition are pinning their hopes on Ada County Prosecutor Jan Bennetts to dismiss the charges against the three truckers.

“It is cruel to upend these men’s lives in the current manner, and frankly, it is an embarrassment to the State of Idaho,” the petition reads, addressing Bennetts. “You are the only player in our legal system who has the power to fix the situation and ensure they can go on with their lives without a criminal record from these events. Please wisely use the discretion that you have been given, and drop the charges immediately.”

3 Likes

… It is all about the money. They have a private prison system there (CAPP) which the state has guaranteed a high occupancy rate so they can make a profit. My understanding is their cells are full near 100% of the time. They have people lined up to serve their sentences. I’m sure the politicians get a nice donation to their re-election campaign in exchange.
… Also, there are the “asset forfeiture” laws. Tons of money there for everyone.
… What it boils down to is money for the “criminal justice system” in Idaho. Gotta fund those retirement plans. They are all counting on it.
… That is my opinion, and I’m welcome to it.

3 Likes