Ask Me Anything: GrowerNick [Thursday, May 31st, 11:00 AM MST]

Another development that I find exciting is the overall social acceptance the plant has gained over time. Cannabis has completely transcended the counterculture and made the leap to broad social acceptance. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to explain to people that I was using my medicine as MEDICINE. Nowadays it seems like I don’t even have to have that conversation. People just get it. That’s a huge paradigm shift I feel we’ve made culturally in only the last few years.

4 Likes

@Growernick Thank you for taking the time to answer questions, this has been very interesting, helpful, and inspiring.

I read in your previous comments regarding the trend of sustainability in the cannabis industry. Is that something you see growers paying more attention to or are more investors also considering this as they plan commercial operations that require efficiencies and cost savings at scale? What are some of the areas that a grower might care more about when it comes to sustainability vs. an investor?

Thank you again!

5 Likes

Great question! I think that we brought that “big industry” issue upon ourselves, Alex. We have made such a clamor for the last 30 years to “legalize, regulate!” and now that we have a legal or quasi-legal market, the big boys of industry want to play too.

I think the sandbox is big enough for all of us to play nicely, though.

I think the scariest part of being a small grower has shifted from fear of legal repercussions (if you’re playing by the rules as a grower) to the fear of the same issues that any small business faces: issues like payroll and the IRS…

5 Likes

What is your most beloved strain to consume and why?

4 Likes

It’s my pleasure, thanks for being here.

Sustainability is key!

I absolutely see not only more growers paying attention to the issue of sustainability, but manufacturers as well. I often reference the burgeoning organic food market trends: organic, sustainably-produced veggies moved from your local farmer’s market to a small section in your produce aisle at the supermarket, to ultimately achieving their own brick and mortar retail space. Now Amazon has purchased Whole Foods.

Clearly the writing is on the wall: the consumer wants sustainable, locally grown goods. I think the same will be true in the cannabis space as we move into the very near future.

I often talk about the disconnect that can exist between the owner/investors and the growers themselves. It’s my most sincere hope that investors can see the inherent value in environmentally friendly grow facility construction. The longterm operational costs often pay for themselves in spite pf a higher price tag up front. Sometimes it helps to show them how overhead savings fit into their business plans.

Great question!

4 Likes

Ah! That’s like asking me my favorite food!

It depends on the situation, time of day, and location for me. And nothing is static. My palette can change with the wind.

I have a strategy that works for me though:

Sativa dominant lemon strains in the morning and indica dominant strains heavy in myrcene at night. I work hard and sleep like a rock!

4 Likes

@Growernick, Thanks for this dialogue.

Are you aware of any “grower support service” products/models that have proved particularly effective and well-received by end users?

For context, I am a healthcare provider, medical marijuana patient, and - for the past year - medical marijuana grower (registered with Health Canada for Personal/Designated Production). Like you described, @Growernick, the healing power of this medicine is transformational. And I now have come to experience so, too, is the process of cultivation. But despite tremendous effort, focus, and investment, I have encountered multiple (mostly typical) problems related to my grows that have been difficult to overcome as an isolated grower (I have no “non-virtual” connections!). I have been fortunate to find one vetted forum hosted by owners of indoor grow boxes such as mine (BC Northern Lights: www.bcnorthernlights.com), and the sense of community there is inspiring. Yet, it is volunteers who “drop in” and cannot be fully relied upon for resolving (or better, preventing) problems “now”.

Many industries have developed “support products” (think IT, for example), and have “tiered” support products customized to meet the users’ needs. Other than individual manufacturers (I have had excellent support from the Advanced Nutrients consumer phone support), I’m not aware of any robust grower support products.

The potential markets of users to whom such products could appeal is ever growing.

I’d be very interested in your thoughts. Many thanks again for this opportunity.

2 Likes

I would certainly love for GNET to be that go-to for grow advice. As a regular voice here in the network, let me be the first to volunteer to help you resolve some of the cultivation issues you may be facing. What’s beautiful about a community like this is you are probably not the first to face some of these problems. Through collaboration I think we can all help dispel some of the myths about cannabis cultivation.

You nailed one point right on the head: the importance of being proactive as a grower. This is one way to mitigate problems before they become devastating.

I can think of a few grower supports out there that have outstanding customer service. I know I’m more than a bit biased here (and I really hate shameless plugs, but…), but if you’ve never called the Growers House customer support line, then you’re missing out on an opportunity to talk to an expert. They are super personable and knowledgeable about so many products!

5 Likes

What’s the most difficult thing you’ve had to do as it pertains to cannabis?

2 Likes

Thanks very much Sir! I really appreciate your offer of support via GNET and also the suggestion of Growers House, both of which I will add to my toolbox.

My curiosity about grower support models stems not only from my own cultivation experiences. But also those of many others I have met through the forum I referenced. Many of the problems could be resolved or prevented by adhering to the adage - “listen to the plants” - which is great … once you learn the language!! But for the many new growers - problems are not identified or responded to in a timely enough manner.

I also think that in any customer service “assistance” model, it is suboptimal for the customer to “have to tell the story — again — from the start” each time contact is made. Rather, if I can call and my “history” can be pulled up, it becomes a much more effective, efficient … and marketable … service. In my dreams, I envision an online, vetted forum, where motivated growers can maintain detailed grow journals with pictures, and the forum has “on call” moderators/mentors who offer support as needed. Its a lovely dream :))

4 Likes

Hunter, the funny thing is the hardest aspects of the cannabis business often have very little to do with plants. But there are just so many characters in this business! I have found that to be simultaneously one of the most endearing, but also one of the most challenging aspects of the cannabis industry. Greed is not a very attractive trait and it’s not very helpful when you’re in cannabis. I’ve found, that like anything in this world, greed has a power to dilute good intentions. I have seen so many great businesses fail because one partner was just too greedy.

If I have one piece of enduring guidance I might offer if you plan to stay in the cannabis business for the long haul: always stay humble. Don’t ever forget your roots.

5 Likes

What are you most looking forward to as our new Community Manager?

4 Likes

Mr. Sandberg,

I know we communicate often about the environmental footprint that Cannabis is having on our planet. What is your stance on Eco-Friendly Growing?

4 Likes

I’m looking forward to the opportunity to serve the community with a great deal of integrity. I’m looking forward to being able to reach a broader group of passionate people beyond my local or state community while still being able to interact with the incredible growers of the state of Arizona.

It’s very exciting to study and share permaculture with others. My love for sustainable agriculture is deep. I love being able to share that with others.

My background as a teacher has provided me with an inner drive that cannot be sated. I am here to teach. Simply put. What I’ve found in my short time here though, is that I am learning as much from this new role as I am teaching, and that is truly thrilling to my soul.

When I say I look forward to growing together, I mean it!

4 Likes

Alright, that’s all we the time we have officially slated, but @growernick has said he will stick around and answer any questions that roll in! Plus, he’s always on the community, so he’s never too hard to reach. Thanks everyone!

4 Likes

I think we are at a crossroads in the industry when it pertains to sustainability. Many growers are having a conscious soul-search as to their ecological impact on the planet, and many are changing their destructive ways. True change happens at a personal level. And change happens slowly, over time. If a grower implements one change at a time with their environmental impact informing their decisions, the world will be a better place.

Remember where I came from: I was an HID lovin’, salt fertilizer growing cultivator for a long time. I made small changes over time to get to the organic, sustainable model on which I operate today.

It’s in that same line of thought as “think globally, act locally.”

5 Likes

I’m always available. Just reach out :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thanks for the response. That’s awesome that city council was willing to work with y’all! And unlimited canopy size?! Crazy!

Some really good questions throughout here, and good answers along with them.

I am working on getting to my organic/sustainable ways fully. It’s definitely a process, but a good reminder I am still a student!

2 Likes

I do agree with you here. I also believe the ability to listen to the plant comes with time, patience and experience…it’s an skill that the grower cultivates within himself as he grows his crops. I find - especially in a large agricultural facility - as we as become consumed with all the other facets of the business, we tend to not take the proper time with our crops. Also, some inexperienced growers just haven’t yet learned, or had the proper guidance and mentoring of a so called “master grower” (BTW, on a side note, if you were to ask my definition of a true master grower, I would tell you the ability to not only be proactive and sustainable in one’s cultivation practices, but also be able to TEACH others how to accomplish the same results). The lack of proactivity, for whatever the excuse, can be the cause of numerous problems to the grower.

I believe we share a similar vision for this forum, my friend. I certainly hope that, with the collective help, wisdom, guidance, experiences, and (I love that you mentioned this) history of all the members here on GNET, we can manifest that dream! A lovely dream indeed! Thank you

2 Likes

Yeah, that was an interesting city council meeting, to say the least!

As for the canopy size? Unlimited. No joke. We kind of made a broad leap from 3,000 square feet to…unlimited. It really is the wild west here in AZ! As such, there’s been a green rush of sorts in our state with a lot of investment money rolling in from a myriad of unlikely sources: like the Mormons. Yes, there’s a lot of very green LDS cashish floating around this state, and, undoubtedly some of it is headed back to Utah!

It comes from the other side too: When Arizona made an attempt at adult-use cannabis in 2016, money for and against the proposition divided people and businesses. The owner of Discount Tire very publicly made a $1 million donation against the legalization effort. And to think how much pot was stashed in his tires over the years! He’s dead now.

Then there’s John Boehner getting in on the cannabis action. Can’t say I saw that one coming. I guess he sees the grass is greener over here on the other side :wink:

Not unlike politics, this business has made for some very interesting bedfellows!

2 Likes