Ask Me Anything: Tom Piini from Micro Grow [Wednesday, Mar 7th at 11 am MST]

microgrowama

Hey everyone!

Growers Network is hosting an Ask Me Anything event on Wednesday, March 7th, 2018 at 11 am MST with Tom Piini from Micro Grow!

From Micro Grow’s Vendor Corner:

For more than 40 years, Micro Grow Greenhouse Controls has been a leader in environmental controls. From design to 24/7 customer service, Micro Grow products set the standard for cost effective and efficient growing, all accessible from your cellphone or tablet. Micro Grow has built systems for professional growers all over the world, and is proud to be used at Fortune 500 companies, universities and prominent research institutions… Founder Tom Piini is a pioneer in the greenhouse industry. Growing up in the Salinas Valley, “The Salad Bowl of the World” and working in his father’s contracting business, the juncture between agricultural and design build was a cornerstone of his upbringing. In college he put those worlds together working as an electrician in greenhouses. As a licensed electrical contractor, Tom was part of the team that developed one of the first computer based greenhouse control systems and later went on to create Micro Grow. He has instilled his team the technical savvy and down to earth customer service that Micro Grow is known for.

Micro Grow Contact Info

Web: www.microgrow.com
Facebook: Micro Grow Greenhouse Systems | Temecula CA
Instagram: www.instagram.com/microgrowsystems
Telephone: 951-296-3340

Micro Grow has @microgrow and @MicroGrow-Daphne here on the community available to help answer your questions even after the AMA! Feel free to @ tag them in your questions to alert them beyond the AMA!

Add it to your calendar here:

Feel free to start posting questions now for Tom and looking forward to seeing the community at the AMA!

See you on the 7th!

6 Likes

@MicroGrow-Daphne and @microgrow

Where do you envision the cannabis industry by 2020? And how does that impact your business today?

2 Likes

Sadly have a meeting during the live AMA, so following Nick’s lead to ask a question early.

Most cultivation managers have some concept of the “how much” of their yield, but often times struggle with the “why” behind why certain strains or certain plants within a strain batch do better than others. A big leading indicator can be the environmental sensors or other automation logs (watering, HVAC, etc).

Do you offer an API (or other data exporting functionality) from your environmental sensors or other hardware to collate against yields?

4 Likes

@MicroGrow-Daphne @microgrow

What has your team found as the most common misconception regarding environmental control (particularly as it pertains to cannabis)?

3 Likes

Good morning @memberdirectory! Don’t forget we have an AMA with Tom Piini from Micro Grow today at 11 am! See you there!

3 Likes

… thanks for reminding me

4 Likes

@MicroGrow-Daphne @microgrow

What has been your biggest discovery or “Aha!” moment along the way and how did that change the course of Micro Grow? I’m curious to know if it has to do with electrical engineering, cultivation (best practices), customer satisfaction, etc…?

5 Likes

Here’s a question:

As a licensed electrical contractor, Tom was part of the team that developed one of the first computer based greenhouse control systems and later went on to create Micro Grow.

How long ago was it that you guys developed that computer based greenhouse control system? What was that experience like? What kind of pains did you find along the path to that victory and who was the primary competition at that time (and are they still around or did they fade out?)

3 Likes

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to talk with us.

What do you think are the biggest misconceptions you hear from growers who are getting into automation/computer based controls for the first time?

What can growers do to prepare to adapt to a new system?

3 Likes

Is it planned or just convenient that we have been talking about Greenhouses so much lately with members and now we have an AMA with MICRO GROW??? @Growernick we have been discussing this topic daily in developing the most environmentally friendly greenhouse grow operation with @Jsmith, @ChrisM @GrowFlux @420ServicesUS @BrendanW @jfoster

3 Likes

Seems awfully fortuitous to me that the conversation should occur today, especially given the recent talks we’ve been having! It’s exciting to hear there now exist companies like Micro Grow that are focusing their business efforts toward sustainable horticulture/agriculture!

5 Likes

Thanks for taking the time! In the course of your business, who have you found is your target consumer? In what size facilities do you typically find yourself doing installations?

3 Likes

that is a great question.

4 Likes

well, Jordan and I have been talking about it for awhile… so… good luck?

3 Likes

My thoughts exactly!

2 Likes

Hi all, I’m Daphne Social Media director for Micro Grow and proud cousin of Tom Piini, the owner of Micro Grow. Tom has been in this business since he was very young man (1970’s). He is a brilliant brain in the field. Kind of a savant. He is funny, personable and plays the harmonica. Just a little back ground

6 Likes

Glad to have you all here Daphne!

3 Likes

Tom logging on now

3 Likes

Hi Nick,

As each state gets on board, I see this train keeps moving down the same tracks for quite a few years. Of course, the age old laws of supply and demand will eventually take over. The big guys (Altria, Philip Morris, etc. as well as Monsanto are quietly getting involved I feel. These guys are our customers now, and behind the scenes, they are already gearing up for this. More research needs to be done. Right now, people are spending money like crazy expecting huge returns. That will change. Smart growing will have to take over soon. That means spending money wisely. Thanks for your question. It was a very good one. Tom

6 Likes