Ask Me Anything: Tom Piini from Micro Grow [Wednesday, Mar 7th at 11 am MST]

Hey Jordan,

On the control side, especially using tools such as VPD (Vapor Pressure Deficit) irrigation, that would be a huge labor saving device. The savings really come on the energy usage side. Increasing the deadbands on indoor grow. Adding outdoor air exchanges (exhaust fan with inlet shutters) are much more energy efficient than running dehumidifiers. Using VFDs on all fans and air handlers. Taking advantage of rebates from utility companies. Running lights more intelligently. These all keep money in your pocket, and allow you that extra cushion when the market drops.

2 Likes

We are working now on the “IOT” world of automation. That means sensors that are intelligent. Also wireless sensors. With more research, advances in new ideas and control algorithms will be born. It is an exciting time. Forums like this are nice. I wish that we had more of them.

2 Likes

Very true Daphne. We also find that they run out of money during the project due to a list of things. Some can be avoided::

1. Having a detailed plan that calls out exactly what will be required for an electrical installation avoids the dreaded “Change Orders”. Always have a written agreement with your contractors that is tied to a drawing and specification sheet. This avoids the old “gotcha” moments later on. Also known as change orders.

2. Get three quotes. Be very wary of the low ball ones. Ask for references. Get insurance binders! Make sure your contractor has liability insurance, and lists you as an also insured.

3. Allow for cost overruns. They will happen. Keep at least 25% in reserve, more if you an.

4. Realize that any facility will not run itself. Allow for a good grower, and better yet, one that is “hands on”. Not afraid to jump in and fix something. No whiners allowed in this industry!

2 Likes

Well, we always say that “You don’t need a space shuttle to drive to 7-11”. I suppose that could now be changed to an "Space X’, but the point is that a very good control system does not need to set you back tens of thousands. Some reasonable estimates:. A 60 x 30 is a smaller range.

Growmate Control with temperature and humidity indoor sensors: $1,795.00
Equipment cabin Pre-wired with connection drawings: $,995.00

Upgrading to our Procom system will run about $500.00 more.
Adding the Growlink which allows for web and remote control is
$1,795.00 (less PC) $2,495.00 includes a compact, industrial PC)

Installation varies according to what needs to be done. Using a local
electrical contractor is best. If we fly in to make the final connections,
program the system, and conduct a personal training session, that runs anywhere
from $3,500.00 to $4,950.00 depending on where the job is. We are in so California
so a bit less around here. Sometimes we can combine site visits to share travel
costs. Then it runs about $1,000.00 less.

3 Likes

Hey guys thank you again so much for answering all the questions. I’m not sure if I’ve seen an AMA run so long before (that’s great) and very appreciative that you would answer all the questions! We’ll have to have you back!

3 Likes

Thanks Jordan, what a great group. I would like to urge all of my industry associates to take part in forums like this. Lighting guys, equipment folks, service people. The best ideas are generated by the end users. I appreciate you, and everyone on the forum taking part. I will see some of you in Oakland next week!

Tom Piini
www.microgrow.com

2 Likes

Hi Henry, just saw your follow up question. The larger the deadband (air circulation only, no heating or active cooling), then the more money saved. Easy to do in milder climates in greenhouse opening the vents. I think tat every indoor grow should have an outside air exchange. This can be used for excellent de-humidification, as well early stages of cooling. Costs much less to open a shutter, and start a small exhaust fan than firing up DX cooling units, or using chilled water. A 10 degree deadband (heating at or below 68, cooling at or above 78 will calculate into thousands of dollars a year in energy savings for a large, indoor grow.

2 Likes