Biomass gain

So today we will talk about bio mass and why you should be concerned about your gains. So bio mass is just a Fancy word for plant matter. However the amount of plant matter gained per day/week/month might be what you want to know.
So how do we do this? The short answer is a pretty easy , but labor intensive. Biomass helps you to look forward in time. Giving you better predictive insight of natural genetics as well as are your neuts actually working. The answers might surprise you, so if we’re get enough interest in this topic. I’d love to share, and hear about your measurement methods.

6 Likes

Very intriguing. :nerd_face:

I understand the “why” of gathering that data, I’m lost as to the “how” to get it though…
Now that’s a good start of the day for me…= I am going to learn something today!

2 Likes

Are you measuring biomass with non-destructive tests?

4 Likes

Of course, this was one of a few different methods we used to use. But much like ppm run off or taking pics. It gets old quick. And I don’t have time for all of the things that “can” be done but aren’t necessary

2 Likes

So first and foremost. There is many methods to figure this out. I just use the old system. I know automation has done this for us now. That’s why you need to learn this at home.
Why you might ask?
Bio mass data is good info to have especially if you are a penny counter. It gives you all kinds of info about your plant.
One main one being. are my nuets actually working? Is my plants growing? At what rate? Your even able to test environment vs plant. So much data can be acquired from this.
Just know its a lot of work. Everything needs to be exact. Any mistake. And that session data is compromised.

3 Likes

I would definitely be interested in knowing more. The only method I know of is a destructive process, where the experiment is designed to have a plant population large enough that a few plants are scheduled to be destroyed and weighed every week throughout the growth cycle. I like these tests because you can also get a solid measurement of the plant’s nutrient uptake with a leaf tissue analysis and the root mass as well.

3 Likes

So much data can be gained from this. I use two methods together for closer data. Well used. Not so worried about it these days

First method is weight of the plant
Second is through pics. These two methods together work well.

I will write a how to soon. Working on a few things atm

2 Likes

So let’s start off by stating if you took agricultural classes. This is nothing new. Please feel free to add to this discussion as well.

First method is by weight.
So first we start by weighing our pots with soil filled to expected soil line. Now we need two measurements of each pot with soil. Both wet and dry weight are needed. These numbers are the converted to a average.
Of course that is your master numbers. You will want when to weigh these, its going to.be either wet or dry weight. Most will go pre water. For sake of clarification dry weight will refer to pre water. Wet for after water.
For the simple fact of carrying extra heavy plants we will use dry weight. Now you need to be very disciplined on when and how much you water.
We want consistency in our moisture levels in the soil. So use a meter if you have one. Weigh each plant. Once a week. Usually prior to water of course.
Chart every plant, as well as making a group average number.

This is a easy way to see how much you are actually gaining. Per each plant and the group as a whole.

Other methods coming soon

3 Likes

This whole time I’ve been thinking how and when would you weigh it? At first I was thinking taking some calipers and measuring at the exact spot every week (that’s the machinist come out) but then when you explained it it was like BLAOW a right in my face. Wow that’s really interesting. So you just measure the moisture content and make sure that is the same every time you weigh it. That is bitchin way to think. Your opening up my eyes here to a whole new ballgame to me. I’ve wondered if there was any way to measure growth. Now how accurate does the number need to be? Down to the ounce and point on the moisture?

2 Likes

As close as possible ideally.

Secondly. We will measure via photos. This one is a little tricky to explain buti will attempt it
So.we need at least three yard sticks. A camera. And a few spots to take pics.

Anyone venture to guess how to do this before I get all smart on you guys.

2 Likes

I’d guess you secure the yard sticks in various places then take the photos from the same exact spot like on a fixed tripod. Print them out and compare or if able put them side by side or even now days I guess you could just zoom in on the pic and check the measurements?

2 Likes

I’d say you stake a perimeter to get some kind of 3D box around your plants. Take pictures from every angle.(top and both sides). Rinse and repeat a few times and then you can compare the empty space vs occupied space in the 3D cube…Like they do in archeological digs.?

4 Likes

So yes this is like doing a survey of property or what ever. However using comparative software. You can do photo overlays. Since you have Measurements and fixed photo positions you can get daily gain or loss data.
Some of this can really be useful. Say your tracking each plant. You will know. Who drinks more,who grows the slowest. Etc. There is so much info in these methods. There are a few others. These are the easieat

2 Likes

Software like photoshop or sketch up? That’s interesting. I guess it would help to have a good view of each plant being tracked

Yes you have to track this data very closely. Shoot from the same point and angle. Using the yard stick you can measure even down to the pixel. The meta data is endless.

1 Like

If you don’t mind investing, I think LIDAR technology would be the most precise. You can find 3d lidar scanner online for around $600.00 - $800.00.

Warning : The caption under the photogrammetry image is wrong. They mention the software Agisoft Photoscan which has nothing to do with the picture. The software used in this picture is called Z-Brush. It’s a 3d sculpting software, really fun to use. Just like sculpting, but digitally… @imSICKkid you would probably have a blast playing with it… but I digress…

2 Likes

Oh yeah I could geek out on that

3 Likes

We’ve got a pretty comprehensive crop registration program at work. A number of plants are tagged and tracked from clone transplant to harvest. It IS time consuming for a 25000sf facility but the data is usefull and can tip you off to small issues that might otherwise go unnoticed and it gives you a solid tangible target for optimal growth rates at every stage of the grow for every strain that we grow… But I’m glad I’m not the guy walking around with a yardstick, caliper, and clipboard all day lol.

Its super valuable information. And yes clipboard guy has a boring day. I suggest rotating that duty. It gets old fast.

2 Likes