Boveda pac

Speaking from experience; cure and store it properly and the vac’d buds will be easy to separate after opening the bag.

If improperly prepped material is put into a vacuum bag it will definitely turn into a solid brick that goes wet and mouldy in the centre and dry and crispy on the outside.

I can open vac packs from months or years passed and enjoy some AAAA from anything in the vault any day I like!

4 Likes

I didn’t have luck the first time so I never did that again, my thinking is that your vacuum is a tech I haven’t mastered by putting, not enough material(1/4 pound) and I let the machine run till it stopped.
The buds were sticky(Mantis Buffered Nutrients buds, pure glue)they just glued them selves together and you could see the that the crystals were going to be a problem. I knew I was in trouble when the
1/4 lbs got much smaller and the finished package was brick hard. When I opened it, each and every bud was smaller and like gravel, you couldn’t break apart by hand and you needed a grinder, also when you pulled the brick apart the buds weren’t discernible. It may be an idea if I were squeezing with a press, as a pre-shaping of a of a rosin run.
I’m not sure if your saying you can adjust the suck pressure of your machine and if your able to stop it short of reshaping the mass so much?

1 Like

I just use a small food style vac sealer. The tek i use is just to hold down the vac button until the buds start to squish, then let go of the vac button and push the heat sealing button. In the split second between letting go of the vac and the heat sealer getting up to temperature, there is a bit of vac released on the bag before it is sealed shut. That split second stops the buds from being squished together with too much force.

The buds need to lose their tackiness before sealing. If you cure them in a room with 58-62% humidity for about a week the trichomes become less sticky and store better; it’s like letting the glazing on a donut firm up before putting it in the box.

I’ve definitely had my fair share of bricks form! Usually, after bucking and before the dry trim, they’ll turn into a brick if I don’t let them develop that exterior of firm trichomes before they go into a bucket or bag.

3 Likes

Asked the original question directly to Bovida on IG. Here is their response

4 Likes

I’ve played around with boveda for years (am a cigar smoker as well) and don’t see the point of using boveda in jars or other containers that will remain sealed. The whole purpose of sealing is to contain everything within the container, including the moisture. When I seal up a mason jar at 60RH, it’s going to remain at 60RH until opened.

I’m not a fan of what boveda does in long term storage, it darkens the buds and affects taste to a small degree. I don’t use boveda for curing or long term storage. I do use boveda packs in jars that will be opened often to keep the RH up, in community jars I leave around the house for family and friends that get opened daily.

5 Likes

Thanks that’s something I never even thought about happening

1 Like

Thanks to everyone for all your help

3 Likes

Thought the packs were for correcting or bringing cannabis in line with 62% - 57%?

1 Like

I don’t need anything doing corrections for me, I make my the buds the perfect RH (I like 60-62), then I seal them up and they will remain at that perfect RH until it’s opened, which can be many months to over a year. I open one jar of a strain at a time and let the others age in sealed bliss til needed.

No boveda in these jars yet they will remain at the RH that I sealed them at, kinda the whole point of sealing it up.

5 Likes

Damn man lol

2 Likes

No room in most of my jars for boveda anyway, here’s a closeup of a jar of my Cherry Ice Cream, been curing since July. The smell is just heaven when it’ll be opened some day.

4 Likes

How nice is that, nicely done :white_check_mark:

2 Likes

I agree but good for ziplocks no doubt if you pass some along.

2 Likes

I have mine drying with the 2 ways but heard about the taste thing so I’m removing when they hold 60 percent.
Man I need some seeds from that.

2 Likes

Sweet, my vote for picture of the year!!

2 Likes