Bud Washing

I use the same method.
My result might well be suggestive, but I found it makes for a smoother toke. And if you’re cooking edibles, you get less of the chlorophylle taste. So it’s easier to mask the taste of weed for people who like edibles but can’t stand the “green” flavor…

8 Likes

Interesting, I find the only way to re humidify w/o a boveda pk is to use a whole unscratched citrus fruit. It leaves little to no flavor and never molds if fruit is washed w hydrogen peroxide first.i could see how that could work for a wash as well;)

4 Likes

U can also add fresh leaves from a plant u just harvested. They will add moisture to dry bud with no foreign taste.

8 Likes

Baby carrots work well for re humidifing. I grab one outta the fridge, but It must be left to dry a few days. It’ll develop a white rhine, and can be placed into jars from there.

5 Likes

Love how many topics GN covers. Tomorrow I plan on washing some dirty buds. They were grown near red clay soil. Going to go the route of lemon and bi-carb. 1 wash bucket and a bucket with clean water to rinse in. I will keep samples to compare at the end. Hoping for a very smooth smoke.

7 Likes

I would totally agree! Always interesting stuff to read if you look around.

3 Likes

Wow I am mind-blown by this…never heard of it before this…from the sounds of it it is not something I am likely to need much in the desert if I am understanding this right…very very low insect and mold problems here, air is dryer than a popcorn fart. I dry fresh buds on a standard drying rack with no direct air in 2 days; if I wait three I have to rehydrate. Point is, it is that dry so maybe I dodged a bullet by being here. Still it blows my mind…does it change the taste or more likely, the…not sure of word…burn of the flower?

5 Likes

@lbdwarrior. Everything I’ve heard from growers that do this on a regular basis is positive.
Improved flavour and freshness and lasts longer.
Only seen where they’ve done it. I’ve never tried it yet myself. :wink::+1::v:

6 Likes

I …man I would be concerned doing that to my buds but hey like I tried to say in some other thread, no matter how much you think you know, there is always someone else who knows more. Tell me, was my assumption that because of my environment that it is not something common to this area? As for flavor, if I really mean to flavor some bud I just let them dry a little too much in a jar and then stick in orange peel, lemon peel, etc and close the lid. Next day its fresh, moist and has the pleasant taste of whatever I stuck in. But I don’t flavor it much since most gets made into RSO and then stuff like taste means very little…

6 Likes

@lbdwarrior. Like I said. I’ve never done it. But that’s the reports I’ve seen.
The flavour is just the plant. Nothing added
Washing your harvest is not really common in my area either. The ones I’ve seen do it every time usually are in a higher dust area or outdoor for bugs and general dirt.

3 Likes

And based on this, would you say that bud washing is primarily something outdoor growers do? Seems like many of the reasons for it don’t exist or don’t HAVE to exist indoors where so much is controlled…just trying to make sure I understand this properly. Of the outdoor grows I have done, I have never had an insect problem and only had budrot once and that was when I learned the hard lesson that you don’t mist blooming flowers for an hour everyday…

5 Likes

Outdoor around my area (east coast Canada ) we can get salt spray in the air from a storm that can travel 10-15 miles inland.
Not to mention having buds rot on the plant at 4 weeks in flower in mid July. (Autos) 65-90% humidity most of the summer.
W p mildew , bugs. Etc. All that.

And that’s it right there my friend.
Proper grow practices will definitely minimize the need for a wash at harvest.
If If HAD to , I would wash but I don’t do it just as a matter of practice. :v:

4 Likes

I wash ALL of my outdoor grows. I don’t my indoor buds but anything outside I would wash. The crap in the air that lands on them is stuff I wouldn’t want to combust and inhale. U may not see bugs on your plants but I promise some species is there. Even common house flys love our plants. The peroxide wash doesn’t change the terpene profile at all if anything it brightens it.

This is why GN is a great tool for growers. Always great shared info.

8 Likes

I’m washing this to go another round lol

3 Likes

Hi! I know this thread is old, but I’m in the middle of chopping plants and was looking for different ways to do it to see how it goes. So, first question 20-30 minutes per stem???

EDIT: I need to read ALL of the comments before asking questions, so I’m doing that now. Seems a lot of folks are talking about the difference in taste, etc. Back in a bit.

Second, more important question … since you’ve done it both ways as I’m sure many have, is there any truth to the taste being better when one dry trims (after washing and hanging as opposed to trimming before washing and hanging)? Any opinion is great!

1 Like

Wow! So much to take in! Citrus fruit? Baby carrots? Fresh weed leaves? (should those be washed too?); Water cure???!!! Lemon or orange peels? So many options!! I LOVE this thread!!

@kapouic and @BudBrother - if you had a mild case of bud rot, would you still do the lemon wash (with baking soda) or would you switch to peroxide/water? Or both?

@hoppiefrog - did you test the difference? I’d love to hear what your results were! And what is a “whole unscratched citrus fruit”?

@chrisj - did you do samples to compare at the end? Would love to hear your results. I’m thinking about doing this today, but would rather not. LOL

Yesterday we wet trimmed our Hash God, dunked them in a peroxide/water mix and then rinsed them in two plain water rinses and hung them to dry. We went with wet trim because I read that it would be best for my mild bud rot. My other four plants are due to be chopped today and tomorrow and they also each had one bud with bud rot. Just one, that I could tell. Since they did, I wonder if I should just keep with the wet trim and the peroxide wash, but I would really like to add a lemon juice/baking soda dunk after the peroxide. Not sure why. Just sounds good. Would that negate the peroxide dunk? Probably a stupid question. This is my first grow and I’m always learning. Always!!

Thanks for this thread. It was the best I’ve seen yet for my bud wash inquiries.

2 Likes

There was a big difference in the final flower. It was worth washing the buds in the end due to the amount of red dust on them. However saying that, those buds were dirty, I wont go through the mission of washing decent outdoor buds with “normal” dust n dirt on them.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for the reply! Totally get the red dirt thing. I lived in Oklahoma for ten years and all the ‘soil’ there was red. Red clay, I think. Ugh.

3 Likes

Try the Key to Life Endzymes plus plain water to wash and clean cannabis.
Real enzymes plus 4 different beneficial bacteria that clean the smoke, ash, mold, bug poop, plus more and pass for microbial testing. Some folks wash their plants or spray them before harvest.
Kyle M.
ENDzyme_Info_Sml.pdf (8.4 MB)

2 Likes