Buds turning Brown

Hi all, in the flowering stage of my first grow and getting great advice from you guys. Some of my buds are turning brown. Is it normal to lose a few and does it indicate how close I am to harvest?

2 Likes

When did you put them in flower? Typically flower time is 2 months.

This will be about the 5th week

1 Like

Looks like you might have missed or been a little late on watering? Or maybe a little nitrogen toxicity?

3 Likes

Your buds look pretty good for now. But there is certainly something on with some of your leaves that will probably impact your harvest.

Without knowing how you’re growing or what nutrients you’re using, it is difficult to make an informed guess.

Here are a few charts to help you diagnose the problem.

Keep us posted!

5 Likes

Thanks for the info, it’s an outdoor grow, started in August which apparently is usually just after harvest time here in the Caribbean. September is the start of hurricane season so lots of rain. Tried to be as natural as I could, partially because we don’t have cannabis specific nutes on sale her and mainly to get a better understanding of the plant. Not much nutes so I’m thinking Potassium deficiency? I used a sweet pepper/ tomato nute dissolved to try to help but not really figured out the PPM math so maybe I overdid it.

2 Likes

Is it possible it could be bud rot? Is the bud itself turning brown?

3 Likes

@trinigrower. Second and third pics look suspect to me
As @zeus said. Could be bud rot.
Good idea to check the Center of the bud at the stem to be sure.

:v:

2 Likes

The buds are brown, just a few on the entire plant. Does that mean I should look at harvesting soon?

3 Likes

Well, if it is bud rot then you should at least carefully remove the buds that have it, because it will spread.

Harvest the earlier the better when dealing with that. Next time you could try em1, as you can make that yourself fairly simply :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I just had the same problem. 10 wks into flower and noticed some dry buds crumbly and not looking good. Did some research all I could find was bud rot causes are high humidity and poor air flow well I have neither. I harvested today and found they were underwatered I think. I would check your watering schedule.

2 Likes

I have a pair of tweezers so I’m carefully picking them off. Fingers crossed I’ll harvest in a few weeks

1 Like

I’ll give them a little bit more now. Sadly I didn’t keep detailed notes so I’m guessing they’re 7-8 weeks along. Trying not to get too excited and harvest too early

1 Like

The brown on the leaves looks like a deficiency, but the brown on the buds is bud rot/mold. Cut all the buds that are brown out and continue to keep an eye on things. Cut out any buds that turn brown from here on out. Try defoliating a little and getting some more air flow around them with a fan to combat the bud rot. Since you’re in flower already I would not recommend spraying anything on your plants to deal with the mold.

3 Likes

Did you take pics along your grow? I use the timestamps for my timeliness aid.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I didn’t. I downloaded the Grow With Jane app to keep records with my new grow

1 Like

What is em1? Also I looked at the spots on my clone and where they are turning brown and it’s got a lot of air flow. Would that mean it’s more a humidity problem? There’s always wind but we’ve had some showers while I was at work so couldn’t take them inside.

3 Likes