Burned and dying - help

Hey everyone,

This is my first time growing and I already killed 2 plants, my thumb is not as green… so it would be special if this one didn’t die, and this is my last hope. THANK YOU in advance for your help…

This is Larika, she was doing fine until I noticed the fungus gnats infestation. I found a root cleaner and did the process and every since then she is not the same anymore. I washed the soil with tap water to take out the poison and on the next day i reintroduced some nutrients. From my research, it seemed like I’ve added a lot of nutrients, so I watered twice after that and she won’t get better. Now it seems like she is dying AND the damn gnats are back. I am afraid of doing the root clean again because this was what caused all the trouble in the first place. What to do next? What am I missing here?

12 Likes

Almost seems maybe too much watering in a way but in a way it may not be enough. It does appear to have some big markings on leaves for what my eyes can see. What exactly r u feeding the plant and how often and do I pH the feed before u water the plant ??

3 Likes

Ecological Laboratories Microbe Lift BMC (biological mosquito control) 2 fl.oz. | eBay

microb lift

this is what i use. one drop per gallon when watering. i do this consistently to stay on top of the gnats.

10 Likes

Nice tip… I think this plant is basically dead, so I’ll keep this is mind when trying again, thanks

8 Likes

Welcome to the forum! I was wondering how often you feed and water your plants? Over watering or under watering could be the issue and cause the gnat problem.

10 Likes

@nacho151 , well spotted. Welcome to GN @mmizz . I personally would cut all the rotting leaves and stems back, and lay off watering for a couple days and see if it bounces back.

10 Likes

@nacho151 @chrisj Heyyy thanks for the welcome!!!
I was definitely overwatering them, now that I am more aware, I usually do it when I stick my finger to the soil and feel it dry, which takes many days.
I definitely took all the dying parts as it felt like it would be a waste of energy to try and revive it. She surely looks better, but I couldn’t hold myself and did the gnat poison again. They’re very persistent, it feels like I’ll have to do one more time…
And now she has little white dots on her leaves, did you ever see something like this?

6 Likes

Look on the underside of the leaves to see if you have critters on them. It may or not be mites, thrips or aphids, along with the gnats. Mix up 2 tablespoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide in 1 pint of distilled water and mist your whole plant, to include the undersides of your leaves for the next 3 days at lights out just in case its the beginning of a fungus. Something to remember about hydrogen peroxide is after it is mixed, it will only last about 3 hours then will turn to plain water.

7 Likes

Too much water not enough perlite in soil for roots to breathe it really makes a difference. Wish you well on your next grows! Honestly plants love a good 60 40 mix in my experience. 60 dirt 40 perlite.

5 Likes

What is your rh in your grow area? Also looks to me as if they would benefit from a humidifier. As your leaves are canoeing the way mine do when my rh gets too low for too long.

5 Likes