Can you clean an exhaust filter?

Is there any way to clean an active carbon filter? I took my pre filter off to wash it and forgot about it. So now my filter seems to be getting more and more clogged up. I was just wondering if they can be washed or something or am I just beat to replace it?

5 Likes

Best sorry

2 Likes

Depends on construction of the filter really. If you can take it apart and empty the media out and get it back together? I believe you can find instructions online for heating the media up in oven or grill. That will refresh it some, but it won’t be 100%.

If you can successfully get it apart and back together, you could also probably replace the active carbon without spending a fortune.

5 Likes

Check out potsquatch on YouTube shows how to refill and or make homemade active carbon filters

6 Likes

Your not using any humidifiers with tap water are you @happyhippy?

Tap water that is hard in an oscillating humidifier will clog charcoal filters

5 Likes

The only thing is you need to tamp it the hydro store that was around here in the 90s used to refill and tamp them. The one I tried to do didn’t work u could rent a small tamper and pack it tight :wink:

2 Likes

I run mine off my ro keeps things low maintenance

3 Likes

@tdubwilly no I am not. Actually I am running a dehumidifier as I am in late bloom of my first grow. I live close to the lake and it it humid all the time. Even with my central air conditioning running in my house and a negative pressure in my tent I am running around 60-70% humidity with 2 plants if I don’t have the dehumidifier going.

5 Likes

@hoppiefrog I was thinking about it as it is legal but I don’t want the wrong people to smell it and break into my house. I am in a very nice respectable neighbourhood but there are some teens around and I am in a small town and word travels fast.

6 Likes

He asked because rh that high could prematurely plug up your filter. Even though it’s not intentional.

4 Likes

Sorry I wasn’t trying to sound rude or pompous. Just trying to explain my environment the best I can. And I appreciate any and all advice.

4 Likes

No apologies needed, I didn’t think you were being rude nor was I trying to be.

I was just explaining that his question was relative, even though you aren’t running a humidifier. The issue at hand is that high relative humidity will significantly reduce effective of your filter. Your issue just happens to be from natural environment.

4 Likes

understood. And I understand what you guys are saying now. Makes sense sucks though. I have read somewhere on The internet that you could wash them with mild dish soap and dry. I guess if I need a new one any ways I have nothing to lose with my old one. When I do do it I will be sure to post my results.

3 Likes

I’ve thrown a bunch of them away, Can you take it down and roll it around on ground? you’ll get a little more life out of it. Some crap will come out. I had read that somewhere and I did that while I was waiting for the new filter to come in and haven’t needed it yet. It had clogged up from using a humidifier and it was 6 months old I rolled it across a 40 foot deck about 100 times ! Basically bouncing around loosens all the crap up and falls out. Hope that helps.

3 Likes

Thanks @zparkie2 I’ll give it a try. I did try blow it out with my compressor in the garage and it did help a bit.

4 Likes

Just found this thread today. I will be doing this today. I have the carbon now so its off to see the wizard.

3 Likes

I did it i refilled 2 different brand filters. Check out my other thread Air filter rebuild instructions!

2 Likes