Cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome (CHS)

So I recently read about the Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome… That stuff scares me beyond funny.

Is there anybody familiar with CHS? Anyone who suffered from it?

3 Likes

I’ve never had it, I know 3 people that have had it, they were young adults that basically chain smoke weed like cigarettes. When I was working in the mental health field I met about 5 people that were actually allergic to weed. One of them was so allergic to weed if someone had smoked it and brushed up against him he would have a severe reaction. I think that CHS may have a genetic link to the individuals that get it. It could also be a bodies response to removing excessive amounts of THC on the cannabinoid receptors in your body, like drinking to much alcohol. I think moderation is the key for anything you put in your body.

5 Likes

100% agreed. Thanks for your input Nach. I smoke (vape) daily. But not all day. Evenings only, after work. Reading about CHS freaked me out a bit. Especially because all the articles refer to longterm (10+ yrs) smokers and how it affects them after such a long time. So, not from getting acute too much THC in our system. But it seems like it’s more common among people who pretty much chainsmoke weed for a long time indeed… An occasional (once a month should do I heard) tolerance break of a few days seems like a good idea also.

5 Likes

I have heard doctors tell them to stop smoking weed for 20 days to clear their systems up and most of the person symptoms usually clear up in about 2 days. That’s why I’m thinking it’s a moderation thing. Not enough studies done on it to really have a good idea what causes it.

3 Likes

I smoke weed like breathing air. I’ve been smoking like this way longer than cigs. Getting close to 30 years now lol.

What is this Chs? I am severely asthmatic. I find the more stronger my herb is, the more I cough and somehow breathe better after I die for a minute lol.

5 Likes

It causes vomiting, diarrhea, severe stomach pain, dehydration, and in some cases it causes death. The deaths I’ve read about the people were in their 20’s and 30’s and smoked around 15 to 25 grams a day and started smoking weed in their early teens.

4 Likes

My buddy has this problem. He doesn’t smoke in usual patterns. Very at random. We couldn’t figure out why smoking weed was making him throw up. Now maybe I do. Lol. I don’t think this hits everyone. I smoke way more than most folks I know or meet.

2 Likes

I think it might be genetics myself, but the human body does manufacture cannabinoids that’s why most drug tests for THC only count as positive if more than 50 nanograms per milliliter (ng/mL). I think body fat may also be a factor. The body stores THC in your body fat, so if your body fat is low it might cause it to. Just my thoughts on it.

2 Likes

Here is an article that says it’s caused by molecules in the stomach.

1 Like

I used to see cases of this in the ER every once in a while. It was usually a one-off thing that the patient just couldn’t control on their own. Hyperemesis is rarely if ever considered a life threat in the vast majority of real world circumstances so…it sucks but just like a really bad hangover it ain’t gonna kill ya…though you absolutely will wish it did if it takes a while to control it. Fluids, meds, a few smirks and a reassuring pat on the shoulder, a dark room and a warm blanket.

We did have one young guy who came in a few times over a couple of months but that was the only strange one. I mean the boy liked his weed lol. Respect.

Hyperemesis Gravidarum is as close to a life threat as I have ever seen it come to killing a patient but that comes with a whole suite of neuro physiologic and metabolic changes. The hyperemesis is the jerk that jumps on the barbwire so that their friends can climb over them and rip out your liver. But medicine is funny like that.

4 Likes

My buddies the same way… puff puff puke lol.

3 Likes

Yep I agree too. I smoke two or three hits, does me fine for about 4-5 hours, then a couple more tokes. I used to smoke sunup to sundown and beyond. Quit that years and years ago. Now it is to relax me and make my arthritis more manageable.

Marty

2 Likes

Same as me. A couple of hits of sativa during the day if I’m hurting and a 10 mg of a indica gummy and a couple of hits of an indica flower at night if I’m hurting and sleep for 7 to 9 hours! Haven’t had sleep problems in 3 years.

1 Like

If I am awake I am high. It really is that simple. Everyone should be grateful and supportive because it makes me a much more positive person.

SEE!?

2 Likes

I joined this network hopefully to set ‘my mind’ at ease … My father had been using RSO since March of 2021 (in dire hopes of curing his stage 4 metastatic melanoma skin cancer). The “protocol” is to be 1 gram a day of highly potent high THC oil (that is very thick as I’m sure most know about the product). Anyway, he had ZERO previous MJ experience so I was so hopeful that this (supposed) to be healing product was NOT causing him the terrible issues he suffered from - from time to time throughout March 2021 and October 2021 (when we lost him) …

We administered the dosing (after working UP to the full 1 gram syringe worth per day) via little pieces of bread he would swallow - then around the summer of 2021 we bought the veggie capsules and would dose him that way 3x per day so we could get the full gram in him each day - trying to get to the magical protocol step of reaching “60 grams within 90 days” (which we never got there within 90 days - but we did consume quite a bit from March through October).

Anyway, my father survived with Melanoma skin cancer for five full years (began in late 2016). At onset he was Stage 3C - so the only step to follow was Stage 4 - which we became Stage 4 in early 2018. So we survived at Stage 4 for 3 1/2 years. We began the RSO in March 2021 (his final year with us) in hopes he would be a success story that this wonderful plant would be able to “cure cancer.” Sadly, it did not work for us, and I got a lot of ‘flack’ from his family because they were convinced the bouts my dad would suffer from (nausea, retching, some vomiting, but mostly horrific abdominal pain) that these were all caused from the RSO.

I want to believe it was NOT the RSO that caused this - but I just don’t know. During our treatment over the five years we did immunotherapy, double immunotherapy, radiation and finally chemotherapy (which chemotherapy doesn’t normally work for Melanoma) - and our biggest problem was his small bowel - he had a metastatic tumor within his small bowel that had grown and grown and grown. In the last month or so before he passed he also developed what is called “peritoneal carcinomatosis” which is the lining of all the abdominal organs and even that can cause all those nausea, vomiting and horrific stomach pain ordeals.

I WANT to believe that it was the peritoneal carcinomatosis that caused all these issues throughout 2021 and NOT the RSO. But I just don’t know. There had been thought that the RSO I had been using was possibly loaded with “pesticides” - not sure if it would have caused all those same symptoms - and I did pay a lot of money to have the oil tested and it did indeed have pesticides in it (which I don’t think there is a way to have a full 100% free of pesticides product - maybe I’m wrong) - but anyway I’m just ‘venting’ - I want to believe that RSO DID help him throughout 2021 at least as far as he never really was sick from chemo (just tired) - he lived up until the last two weeks and went downhill super fast from the cancer, but I want to believe the RSO at least helped him some and did not hurt him. However, I truly was wanting a miracle - and sadly - we didn’t get one …

4 Likes

I’m sorry to hear about your loss.
I don’t know where you were getting your RSO from but it should not have had detectable pesticides in it. I grow my own flower and I make RSO with it and it has zero pesticides in it. If you don’t use them they aren’t there.
Everything that is sold here in California at a club is tested for pesticides. If it has any in it they can’t sell it.
The only time I’ve heard of anybody getting sick from cannabis, would be taking too much. Too much of anything can make you vomit. I have never experienced this and I do not know anyone who has experienced this but I do believe that it is possible.As far as everything else you’re describing I’ve never heard of anybody having any symptoms like that stemming from the use of cannabis.

One thing I can assure you of, you did give relief by giving your father RSO. Usually in cancer patients from what I understand cannabis gives relief from vomiting and also increase appetite as well as relieves pain and can also make you care a lot less about your pain.

You did good…:+1:t3::v:t3:

5 Likes

I’m sorry for your loss! I have survived 2 different types of cancer since 2017. The fact is medical marijuana won’t cure cancer, however it makes the treatments, Chemotherapy and Radiation therapy, easier to go through. One of the positive things about cancer treatment using marijuana is, it helps shrink tumors and helps with the adverse side effects of treatment and the depression that comes with the treatments. My mother fought cancer for 12 years and the last six years she took Marinal 4 times a day, which helped her live an additional 5 years according to her oncologist. CHS takes years of heavy use to develop in most people, the scientific studies have just began to study the cause of it. When I was going through radiation therapy the Radiation Oncology nurse was giving me crap about Marijuana, when the Radiation Oncology Doctor walked in the room he said the nurse told him I was using Marijuana to treat myself. I asked him if I needed to stop during treatment. His exact word were, “Hell no, it’s working that’s why we had a difficult time finding the tumor, I wish all my patients used Medical Marijuana, 50% of radiation treatment is trying to shrink the tumor and it helps”!

6 Likes