Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome & Neem Oil

Has everyone/anyone heard of this ailment that medical professionals keep telling patients is from smoking too much Cannabis? I think it’s also called “Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome”.

Debates rage as to whether this fact is true. People like myself who believe that we’re all supposed to use this plant in some way, refuse to believe that something for which we have an endogenous system, could be this damaging to the health. Also, Cannabinoids have been known to quell vomiting not increase or bring it on.

I have a friend who has this and believes it is the Cannabis. I’m now careful what I say about it for obvious reasons. Living in a rural area means she and her hubby grow their Cannabis in wild organic soil fed with hand made nutrient teas as fertilizer. She can no longer go anywhere near it when raw, dried, or especially burned. She says as long as she avoids it like the plague, she doesn’t have any recurrence of CHS.

There is however some thought that it’s a pesticide that’s causing this and I’m prone to believe that since I too know the impact ingesting pesticide-contaminated Cannabis can have on one’s health. I asked my friends and another one stated plainly that he had CHS and no longer suffers from it now that he only ever ingests the Cannabis that he grows. He believes that it’s Neem oil used on the plant that causes CHS.

Neem oil is seen as a natural substance, I wonder if my friend ever used Neem oil in that home made fertilizer tea? I don’t think I’ll ask though :slight_smile:

Thoughts?

4 Likes

A few weeks ago my neighbor gave his buddy an RSO capsule he had made from his home grown bud (eth washed.) That buddy gave the capsule to his wife, who apparently had a severe, severe reaction to it. She started convulsing, puking non-stop, and shaking uncontrollably. Her father was a paramedic, he was called over (and started calling it in over the radio as a THC overdose when it was explained what is was,) and apparently (this is all 3rd party of course,) the toxicology only showed MJ in her system (not certain on that, that’s what they claim after the fact.)

I know the grower uses neem among a few other things, so maybe there is a common link?

But, does raise the concern that certain types of intake methods, such as edibles, especially in concentrated form that may not be properly measured for dose could cause people to feel quite sick. I’m a big guy, almost 220 pounds (damn you Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays!) and even I feel extremely uneasy when I take too strong of a concentrate in edible form (and you’re on that ride until it’s done.) I could see how that could make many people, especially inexperienced cannabis users, feel very sick, uneasy, or not able to maintain.

3 Likes

This is such a good reason for testing, good quality product and knowing what you are taking. As the 420 Friendly Insurance guy, this discussion confirms for me why we want Cannabis legal, tested and regulated.

3 Likes

And consistent testing and regulations across the board, all states!

2 Likes

Now you are asking for a lot…across all States?

2 Likes

Why not? Is the Devil’s Advocate in here? :rofl:

2 Likes

In addition to legal, tested, and regulated Cannabis we need affordable testing services in several municipalities to test for those who grow our own. We all should be aware of what cannabinoids we’re ingesting as well as what potential contaminants. It’s very easy to mix plants up and testing levels would be a nice way for growers to measure progress and success.

2 Likes

Have you seen any of the home testing units available? Like the CannaDX sensor? I literally have some literature in front of me on another unit (coincidence?) called the Purpl Pro (from Purpl Scientific.) THC and CBD!

I call them “better than nothing” units because it’s still not very accurate (in my humble opinion,) but still way better than nothing.

1 Like

I just checked it out. I wonder what the cost is, couldn’t see it.

I’ve heard the Mydx isn’t very accurate but as you say, none of them are.

2 Likes

I am imagining that most of these end products are grown in soil - so it’s really anyone’s guess what the roots are drawing up. I know I’ve said this, but as a stainless steel manufacturer, I patiently (ok, not so patiently) wait for the powers that be, regulate/insist/demand/mandate that medical marijuana be grown on medical grade stainless. There’s a reason that surgeries are performed in a sterile environment - so since this is a medicine, it should be treated as such. And all you hobby growers…wouldn’t you rather be safe than sorry? “Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome” doesn’t sound like a fun time.

3 Likes

I would tend to lean towards other neurological factors reacting to THC in certain people. I have “Over dosed” on edibles before and was never nauseous. I just could not function or walk .I have never heard of CVS(Before this last year) or witnessed anyone get nauseous from Cannabis in my 42 years on this earth. This is where federal government freeing up testing $$ would certainly help shed light on a situation.

3 Likes

Neem oil is on the approved pesticide list in Colorado.

3 Likes

I think you should ask him if there is neem oil in his tea, I’d love to know. I’ve heard of this correlation but have only seen minimal research specifically related to CHS and neem. Don’t some people spritz neem oil right on fan leaves to minimize/prevent PM? I don’t think its safe for human consumption, though it is an organic substance.
I’ve taken care of several patients with CHS and it is a rather violent vomiting experience for some people. Ketorolac, Benadryl and lots of fluids help some. Zofran and other anti-nausea meds like Phenergan don’t help because they target a different nausea receptor site than where the CHS nausea is stemming from. I’ll hunt down the article that discusses theories on the causes of CHS.
From my experience, it is not only nausea that these sufferers are experiencing, its also severe epigastric pain and anxiety.

4 Likes

I think it is important to remember that great cannabis is grown with beneficial bacteria; living soil. So cultivating in a sterile environment may not be the best way to produce effective medicine.
Harvesting, manufacturing and producing cannabis products for consumption and ingestion should certainly be held to rigorous standards when being developed for disease treatment and management.

3 Likes

Where is the LOVE button? I feel the same way and question the sterility aspect of these big factory grows. The medical industry is still under the false belief that it can lead through sterilization but MRSA has proven them wrong. We’re now fubar’d when it comes to antibiotics!

We’re growing plants in factories of filtered air though we know that plants and the organisms in the air have a symbiotic relationship that benefits one another. Are factory grown plants nutritionally starved? Is that why pesticides are so rampant? In Canada, many producers of factory cannabis petition the Government over and over trying to add certain chemical pesticides to the approved list. Btw … I sit 20 pounds lighter thanks to the great myclobutanil diet that still leaves me without an appetite.

I can’t wait for the day when we grow our Cannabis under the Sun where it was meant to be grown.
Though producers fight this, using fearmongering about kids and drones harming the plants! These people clearly don’t care about the future of the planet.

3 Likes

Hi Taima, (and Dan Campbell)

Please don’t misinterpret, perhaps I wasn’t clear in my message. I am not promoting “the sterility aspect of these big factory grows” or “cultivating in a sterile environment”. Plastic makes me nervous and add the “many producers of factory cannabis petition the Government over and over trying to add certain chemical pesticides to the approved list”. Do we have any assurances that these chemicals won’t be drawn up through the root system? Do we have any assurances that these chemicals won’t disintegrate the integrity of the plastic? Not too mention, the hobby growers that still use sawhorses and a sheet of chipboard - just imagine the bacteria/mold. That is certainly not the environment I would want my medicine produced in.

Stainless steel can be used to control the environment of the grow operation and EXACTLY what is added into the soil mix, whether than be a single additive to the soil like bat guano, sea water or a “magic combo” of ingredients. And when the soil can no longer support growth, replacing it with sterile soil is an option as opposed to constantly supplementing the soil with additives.

So, stainless can be used for hobby growers or commercial growers (small and large), (typically in greenhouses, but basements work too) - in dirt, soil or aquaponics. Outdoor, not so much - I do recognize the multiple benefits of growing outside too, however, in situations of providing “medicine”, I would prefer to see MY medicines grown in a more sterile environment.

I can only hope that I wasn’t lumped into the gross generalization of “These people clearly don’t care about the future of the planet.” Nothing could be further from the truth, in my personal case.

And, finally, are you sure that is just “In Canada, many producers of factory cannabis petition the Government” or do you think that might be in other countries also?

4 Likes

What kind of stainless alternatives are there for home growing? I use both plastic and fabric pots with my growing, what kind of options would I have for single-pot and smaller scale applications?

1 Like

Neem is approved inWashington too.

3 Likes

I like the idea of stainless to be honest. I mean, you could buy a whole set and re-use them year after year. I love that idea. My comment was only in response to the previous one. Sorry for the confusion :slight_smile:

And the “people” I was talking about are the ones who are fighting legal outdoor grows. It seems absolutely unethical to not grow at least some of it outdoors. Like the plants that will be used to make the oil that will be irradiated then shoved into a chamber and have super critical C02 blasted through them. We’re spending so much money on energy to grow these pristine plants then making concentrate out of them. I would actually rather see all of the oil making plants grown under the sun and the other plants grown inside or outside or some of both.

Plus I can’t wait til the super elite grows come out. As barfy as that is, the marketer in me sees the mad potential. I mean, I’ve written and will again about the quirky ways that some growers grow. I know one guy who had an actual Rabbi bless his Kosher Kush. I foresee nugs for sale that only ever listened to Led Zeppelin or Billy Holiday!! Oh! The bud her music would make. They already talk about the benefit of Cannabis grown with certain waters. The possibilities are endless!!!

I see your point about it being “medicine” but many people believe the Sun makes better cannabinoids and definitely terpenes than lights.

2 Likes

Lastly, they might also be doing that in other countries but Europe has much more strict agricultural standards than North America.

2 Likes