Cannabis and mental health issues?

Alright everyone I was just thinking of the negative side of weed which only seems to be running out, getting arrested for having or growing weed or it causing bad mental health issues and was wondering what are peoples opinions and experiences with this issue?

I’ll be honest sometimes when I smoke weed I get some bad invasive thoughts and paranoid which the later is probably a more commonly known side effect.

I noticed the other day that when I had a joint made of a CBD weed and a different THC weed mixed together then I never got the bad side effects I get off just THC weed only the good stoned which I want to get and enjoy being.

When I have THC weed is the problem I get the initial bad side effect then get the nice high and relaxed I want. When I have CBD I get a little relaxed but not to the extent I want to be and it’s not good enough to be fair it’s ok but you need THC in my opinion.

Do people think that growers have increased the THC and lowered the CBD and this is a mistake because they are both need to be in cannabis to give its full, proper, natural effects?

3 Likes

Just like any medication there can be negative effects as well. Also like other medications those initial side effects should subside. Paranoia, was a huge issue for me at 1st, due to the crazy amount of anxiety I already experience. Once my body got use to the medication all of the negatives went away and the positives stayed.

3 Likes

Interesting you’ve said that as I was meant to mention that as a point in my question that if I smoke weed continuously for a few months then I get a tolerance and don’t get the invasive thoughts :imp: :thought_balloon:.

BUT when I have a break from smoking and start again wow it hits me like a freight train :steam_locomotive:.

But like I said the positive feeling after this subsides is to good not to experience I really haven’t ever felt as relaxed :relieved: without smoking a joint first.

2 Likes

Try a smaller dose. Small bong hit. Not a joint. My wife can get panic attacks from certain strains by smoking to much.

7 Likes

Very good topic @Marbsbuds . I have seen my fair share of interesting reactions to cannabis over the years and an early experience was watching my girlfriend pass out for a few minutes on the floor after smoking a joint. Cant remember what we were smoking, but she literally had a couple drags, her eyes rolled back and she passed out. More serious issues I have observed is something I would love to investigate further and think there is a link with people, possibly with existing conditions that are catalyzed by strong " indoor skunk" cannabis.

1. Recently a friend of mine who was growing indoors for profit, and smoking too much of the good stuff had a nervous breakdown and stabbed himself. He also came up with a whole bunch of delusional thoughts that the world was coming to end. Good news is he was hospitalized and been released.

2. About 18 years ago I was contacted by a guy who wanted to become a cannabis activist and change the laws. He turned out to become very self centered and almost thought he was a spiritual leader for the younger generation. He started smoking a tonne of cannabis daily, and every now and again trying his own extracts of salvia divinorium as well as sceletium. Admittedly he did have some medical conditions, if I recall PTSD, but I observed his attitude changing rapidly, he had frequent outburts, and was very rude to his wife at one stage. He also went missing for exactly 30 days, walked out his house in shorts, shirt and no shoes and walked in the outskirts of cities and towns living in the bush. A missing case was reported by his wife and me, and 30 days later he contacted me about his whereabouts. I drove 1 hour to his location, and remember him sitting like a Buddah and his first words were, " So Chris, what have the papers said about me. I gave him a piece of my mind, took him back to his family and he was hospitalized and still to this day a bit delirious.

3. The other issues I have experienced with people could also be harder drug or alcohol related so I cant be sure. But one thing I have noticed is anger outbursts by people who smoke too much of the potent stuff, and I have seen it when they go into smoking indoor top quality buds. The outbursts I mentioning are precisely like you can see in this video. This specific guy is very rude, trolls people online and his nickname is “darkhorse”. He works in the cannabis industry but watch how he escalates the situation very quickly, for no apparent reason, he does have a huge chip on his shoulder with people/police. But damn, reacting like this can get you jailed, which actually eventually happened to him:

You can actually see how his attitude changes and his voice. But reviewing his other clips he seems to have a big issue with police officers and attacks them at every chance. The clip below he was arrested for verbally assaulting police.

Do people think that growers have increased the THC and lowered the CBD and this is a mistake because they are both need to be in cannabis to give its full, proper, natural effects?

I think it does have something to do with this. Maybe its novices abusing/smoking high THC strains too much, not building a “low and slow” tolerance.

Thats my 2 cents.

3 Likes

I just don’t ever stop smoking. Cough cough…

This day and age, you can be stone cold sober forever and still have some crazy thoughts. Its just that kinda life now.

4 Likes

A small dose is never enough a big dose is always to much :joy: hope your wife’s ok I think she should try a good one to one strain. That’s what I plan to do anyway.

To true I stopped smoking a few months ago to get in shape I’m in way better shape now and due a good :deciduous_tree: :wind_face: :dash:.

Thanks Chris bit busy now I’ll read your comment probably later or tomorrow

1 Like

Ever not smoke for a couple of days? I’m with you, I smoke from the time I wake till I go to bed. Cannabis can have a fairly nasty withdrawal for us heavy smokers.

1 Like

I’ve been a cannabis user for many years but recently found out it can cause problems for people with a compromised liver. I have problems with my liver. It has something do with Endocannabinoids and receptors in the liver. Studies are ongoing at this time to determine with cannabis (I assume strains) can help the liver vs harming it.
I have to learn more about this before I can smoke again. So for now I’m on the wagon.
I also have concerns about consuming cannabis grown using salt based fertilizers vs organically grown.

1 Like

Oh yeah sorry to hear your issues what’s salt based? I use Canna products for Coco.

1 Like

I think the fellow in the video has underlying problems and is most likely using a saliva dominate strain. He should try switching to a indixa hybrid strain. May 60/40 indica. As well as some counseling to help him deal with his underlying issues.

1 Like

This story was posted to Facebook yesterday as it was his birthday, sad that cannabis is used to blame for his mental issues. I was actually friendly with Rob that went missing and he was quite the party animal. I have just copied the relevant pieces to this topic with a bit of background:

A bereaved mother is appealing to members of the public to help with information regarding the disappearance of her son 17 years ago. Rob Gautschi (37) went missing in 2000 and since then, there have been no new leads or any further information on his whereabouts.

“When he enrolled at UCT he began smoking a lot of marijuana and using other types of drugs with his friends. He started to become psychotic and I believe the mix of anti-psychotic drugs combined with the marijuana altered his mind.”

During his time at UCT, the problems worsened with Rob not attending classes and spending his time in the garden of the campus doing strange activities. His parents became increasingly worried about him as he discussed being the prophet of Jah, a title of Haile Selassie, which is the Ethiopian word for chief or prince. Full link here.

"

1 Like

Still haven’t read you last post probably just letting you know I’ll catch up with longer posts this weekend :fist_right:t2::fist_left:t2:

1 Like

I’ve read that CBD cancels some of the “too high” effects THC produces. So if your feeling too high taking, smoking, ingesting CDB should help calm the effects. Something to do with the binding to the receptors. So I’ve read/heard being a medical patient. That said I’m no scientist.

1 Like

Hey @coaltrain

You are spot on. CBD does reduce the effects of THC by over-riding the receptors on our ECS.

2 Likes

I can honestly say I’ve never had any bad side effects from thc

@chrisj the only reason I know that info is because I also have anxiety and some form of panic attacks and still dont smoke regular weed. I grow the shit out of it but don’t smoke it. I do grow and smoke high CBD strains for myself.

I agree that people without much/any tolerance are more likely to have a negative experience from using too much at once which is easier with high THC strains. Personal I find high THC low CBD best for helping me to treat my anxiety and depression.

1 Like