Cannabis wholesale prices: 17.4% decline year-over-year

Prices have risen from an average of $1,487 in the fourth quarter of 2016 to $1,613 in the first quarter of 2017. It’s still a 17.4% decline year-over-year, but sequentially higher… Still, Rubin believes the market is in an overall bust cycle. “As prices decline, larger, more efficient players can sell close to the cost of production and wait for weaker growers to go out of business. Fewer players means less supply and then prices go up again,” he said. Rubin thinks we’re entering a period where lower commodity prices for wholesale marijuana and an influx of new players will cause disruption among the growers.

Sources:
Forbes article and Cannabis Benchmarks report

4 Likes

Unfortunately, I feel its bad for the overall industry only because it’s a force play to snuff out the businesses that want to grow, got started in the lean years and should have the same opportunities as any other company AND, they should be granted some concessions to help compensate for the david and goliath syndrome.

While others want to WALMART this industry into oblivion….many mid sized business have spent millions and it should be an open market with guidelines and laws against monopolies….ya want to grow volume, grow lettuce feed the world, but let the growers have a chance to build their business, not be forced out due to a sales /marketing tactic by some conglomerate.

I know there a marketing /big business guy right now reading this and saying “well chief, thats just business” and thats the exact wrong mentality to have about this.This plant is NOT a widget, and when big Pharma and the medical community start embracing this as a medical element that idea along with the pricing for those products is going to big numbers and far from just “a commodity”, so let the playing field be leveled and keep monopolies out of this industry, VOTE

I’m jus sayin…

5 Likes

Update on wholesale prices for 2017:

2 Likes

Followup article from Forbes:

2 Likes