CBD Liver-Toxic?

I’d love to hear commentary on the following somewhat alarming study: Hepatotoxicity of a Cannabidiol-Rich Cannabis Extract in the Mouse Model

Abstract

:

The goal of this study was to investigate Cannabidiol (CBD) hepatotoxicity in 8-week-old male B6C3F1mice. Animals were gavaged with either 0, 246, 738, or 2460 mg/kg of CBD (acute toxicity, 24 h) or with daily doses of 0, 61.5, 184.5, or 615 mg/kg for 10 days (sub-acute toxicity). These doses were the allometrically scaled mouse equivalent doses (MED) of the maximum recommended human maintenance dose of CBD in EPIDIOLEX®(20 mg/kg). In the acute study, significant increases in liver-to-body weight (LBW) ratios, plasma ALT, AST, and total bilirubin were observed for the 2460 mg/kg dose. In the sub-acute study, 75% of mice gavaged with 615 mg/kg developed a moribund condition between days three and four. As in the acute phase, 615 mg/kg CBD increased LBW ratios, ALT, AST, and total bilirubin. Hepatotoxicity gene expression arrays revealed that CBD differentially regulated more than 50 genes, many of which were linked to oxidative stress responses, lipid metabolism pathways and drug metabolizing enzymes. In conclusion, CBD exhibited clear signs of hepatotoxicity, possibly of a cholestatic nature. The involvement of numerous pathways associated with lipid and xenobiotic metabolism raises serious concerns about potential drug interactions as well as the safety of CBD.

Full text here: Molecules | Free Full-Text | Hepatotoxicity of a Cannabidiol-Rich Cannabis Extract in the Mouse Model | HTML

The authors conclude that Epidolex used at the maximum recommended human maintenance dose was hepatotoxic in mice.

1 Like

The doses are pretty obscenely high. For a 150 pound person the high doses would be about 167,280mg in one day for acute toxicity, and for sub acute 41,820mg per day. Even the low doses would be 16,728mg and 4,182mg respectively. Few if any people are taking these types of doses ever.

9 Likes

I agree. But how is it that equates to a 20MG dose of epidolex? I can’t believe their math is wrong so…

2 Likes

20mg/kg, not just 20mg, is the maximum recommended dose, which was based on their findings of issues with human trial regarding hepatoxicity.

4 Likes