Chavez's Organic Grow Journal

Marty,
Your correct, there are many sources of ‘coarse’ organic matter you can add…just don’t forget that periodic Humic Acid treatments are the BEST organic matter you can add to any soil/hybrid media.
There is nothing I know of that has the CEC of humic acid. Keeps all your nutes in a highly available state, as well as being a great chelator of micronutrients and pH buffer!

LOL, plus it doesn’t cost an arm and a leg!

7 Likes

Yeah I just mixed up a batch of 2 tablespoons of Humic, 1/2 oz of Chicken soup and 200 ml of Fox Farms organic bloom which is their low dose (real weak stuff) per 5 gal of rain water, and threw in some inoculant and am letting it cook overnight till around 3 tomorrow. I checked the pots and they are all good on moisture. It’s been about a week since I gave them Humic so should be ok. I don’t know why, haven’t figured it out yet but this Earth Dust is missing something. It can’t be micronutrients, because I added Azomite in a fairly good quanity to my soil base. It is a Macro or secondary nutrients that is not strong enough. They just are in need of something or more of something. @ravenchief was saying he adds a LOT of organic stuff to his organic grow medium, and starts with 1/3rd soil with organic in it, then splits the rest of it like I did with coco/ProMix. His plants look amazing so I know it can be done, just haven’t got it dialed in yet.

Marty

8 Likes

Wtf is a chelator??? Sounds like Chester cheetah in a gladiator role. I hate being stupid … Makes me feel dumb :rofl::crazy_face:. Wait… WhaT??

8 Likes

… yep…:face_with_spiral_eyes:

5 Likes

Uh oh…look out Bob is still two finger typing lol…

Marty

6 Likes

LOL, I’m pretty sure you’re jerking chains here but think of chelator as a ‘gator’!
A gator can put something precious in its mouth and carry it through troubled waters. delivering it safely to the place it can serve its purpose.

Chelators do the same thing with nutrients (especially micronutrients) It’s a molecule that surrounds the nutrient so that it doesn’t precipitate, keeping it available for root absorption!!!

9 Likes

LOL, YOU are !00% correct…plus I had to go out and refill my coffee cup right in the middle!!!

10 Likes

One plant is ahead of the others. So I’m thinking another week for that one and 2 wees for the others.

That means I’ll be starting some seeds really soon. Can’t wait! A lot of new strains for me to try.

I’m planning on growing 11 plants in pots, indoor & out, and a couple in the ground. Autos & Photos.

Really excited to grow some awesome strains I’ve been saving for spring.

I believe I got some Big D Energy, Durban Poison, Cherry Crescendo and Grandpa’s Cookies! All Fems!

9 Likes

I’m not really a fan of Amber. They would be very short-lived if they were mine. :joy::+1:t3:

7 Likes

Well, I’m going for a head high. So what do ya, think?

6 Likes

I have a very scientific way of doing it. :rofl: When I start seeing more Amber than I am seeing clear. The goal is maximum cloudy for me. When I’m that close I usually take a small bud from lower on the plant and zoom in on the bottom. I start seeing a few Amber there and it’s pretty much done. At least for me.

9 Likes

I see where I went wrong! :bulb:.

It’s great having this journal to look back on! I see I gave my plants tea before they needed it.

That’s when everything started going sideways.

Then stupidly thinking my plants looked hungry, I top dressed.

I don’t know when I’ll be able to read the leaves better, this was the second time I thought my plants looked hungry but they were really over fed.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me! :rofl:.

The good news is I managed to save 2 out of 3 plants.

The third plant has really small, weak buds, that are so covered in trichromes they are turning white.

Too bad. I think I flushed a little too much out of that one. The bud’s stopped growing completely, but like I said, the trich’s are still developing.

6 Likes

chavez,
It’s all a learning experience, but you really CAN effectively manage your nutrient status by checking your pH of nutrient solution, EC (ppm) of your nutrient solution being fed. Record it!
Now check your RUNOFF pH and EC(ppm). Record it!

As long as your ppm in the runoff is LESS than the ppm of the nutrient solution your feeding YOU’RE GOOD. Your plants are removing the nutrient they can metabolize. IF you’re runoff ppm is approaching OR ( oh-oh) GREATER than the ppm of your nutrient solution being fed…you are over feeding. If you see that runoff ppm increasing during your grow just back off on nutrients and feed water only until
that runoff ppm comes down…then begin feeding less concentrated nutrients for a bit…

You will detect nutrient issues MUCH faster with this method…usually before any visible symptoms appear…FWIW

9 Likes

I have a question. When using a filter connected to tap, do you still have to let the water sit out, or will the filter alone remove everything?

6 Likes

It depends on the type filter you’re using. If your using a Blue Boogie the answer is no, just let the water adjust to room temperature if using it.

6 Likes

Nacho is correct. Most hose end filters are designed to eliminate chlorine and small sediments.
Here again, you really need to look at the pH and EC/ppm of your source water before you add ANY nutrients!
Depending on that information, we’ll know a lot more!
It’s really hard to explain to new growers all the advantages of using R/O (reverse osmosis) water in your container grows!
You may want to check your local markets/etc for these bottled water vending machines…they should say ‘filtered reverse osmosis water’. Utilizing R/O water in your grows is like starting with an insurance policy for plant heath! JMHO!!!

7 Likes

I buy RO water when I mix certain nutes. I did the ph test suggested with the spring water I get & it stayed the same.

I have to check it every time I get it though, because it’s a natural spring & you never know.

So I have that water I plan on using indoors. I have a heated and aerated 5 gal. container that monitors ph & temp for watering with a 30 gal aerated back up tank with a water pump in it.

For outdoor I plan on a rain barrel and using a hose with filter in between dry spells.

To buy enough RO water for a dozen or so plants would be too costly.

7 Likes

Glad to hear you’re monitoring your spring water consistently…that should help keep major issues at bay, or at least you’ll be aware of potential issues!

5 Likes

Yeah you need to wait for a little more milky…with a few amber thrown in for good measure. lol

Marty

4 Likes

So wait… It’s an alligator that feeds plants? Listen man… I’m in Florida and I know gators - they are not herbavores Mr know it all… LMAO :rofl:

Mumbles in a soft undertone… dumb ol dang gum Flash … Gators eating flowers. Pfft

6 Likes