Chavez's Organic Grow Journal

How many gal do you think the 4 lbs bags of base and boost will do?

I’m trying to figure out if I need more. The website says 12 plants but not how many gal.

4 Likes

They recommended that I get two bags of each for a 6 plant 7 gal grow. It took a little over 1 bag of the base to do the 6 pots. And a small amount of the boost, they reccommend that you add a little boost if you are using zero nute soil like I did.

Marty

5 Likes

Sounds like 21 gal. per bag of base & boost, roughly.

I’m gonna need another order of it.

Thanks for helping me finally figure that one out!

4 Likes

No I used just over one 4 lb bag for 42 gal of soil. 6 pots x7gallon per pot = 42 gal. I did the 3x 3/4 cup thing for my own info for the next grow instead of measuring out 33 Tbls lol. In other words 33 Tbls = 3 3/4 cups.

Marty

6 Likes

WOW! Nice, man. That’s a lot more than I thought it would do!

6 Likes

See they reccommend 3-5 Tbls per gal of the base so I didn’t want to overdo it. So if you were to use 5 Tbls per gallon of soil, that would be 35 Tbls per 7 gal pot so I went just under at 33 Tbls. I should have went with the full 5 per gal. or even slightly more. But I have learned that over fertilizing is just about the worst thing you can do to a plant, and never having used the Earth dust I went conservative. You will have to make that decision. I have also been text chatting with another person here in St. Louis that is using the Earth dust and he also agrees that it is a little weak, so that is two of us using it right now and would have put in a little more. First time for both of us using it.

I don’t know if it is necessary, because the boost may be mostly available nutes, but I made up soil ahead of time with the boost for flower in it and am letting it cook so if it needs to it will be available immediately. Can’t hurt. I made it up so all I have to do is add 1 gal of soil to the top of each of my pots and it will contain the recommended amount per gallon. I also added the base as well. Probably didn’t need it, cause 7 gal is a lot of soil. But like I said I think it is a little weak. You are supposed to put the first application of boost on 1 week prior to flipping them. The other guy here in St. Louis using it said he wished he had put it on earlier, so I think tht boost is a little weak too. But better a little weak than burning the plants.

Marty

9 Likes

@chavez78 @sssportsmfg ,

I appreciate you guys sharing information on the Earth Dust!
That’s what makes GN such a valuable and exceptional site!

I believe that after your first grow using Earth Dust/BBP, you guys will have it dialed in and be able
to provide invaluable information for new/novice growers. Although I have no affiliation with Earth Dust at all, I remain convinced it is the safest, most effective, and affordable way to enter the cannabis growing world!!!
FWIW

9 Likes

I went to their site and I read it twice maybe three times. And despite their warnings I’m gonna use 100% recycled potting soil that has been re-amended twice used three times. I also use a lot of salts towards the end of flowering with this media. I’m going to give it a shot using it with this soil. I’m not sure how depleted this soil is so I’m going to air on the side of caution and if they get hungry I’ll just top dress it a couple inches in and call it good. We’ll see how it goes.

6 Likes

Man… No lie :lying_face:… I skipped a lot of that reading man. LoL
B O nG . RiP!!

6 Likes

Pina Auto @ 56 days. (8 wks).

I removed the big oscillating fan and replaced it with three 6" clip on fans. That seems to cool my tent down a few more degrees. It also gives me more space for more plants! Win,win!

After over week of nothing happening, (except for leaves dying) I finally see some bud growth on 2 out of 3 plants.

I would like to get rid of those burnt leaves, but I read that you should never take off leaves during flower with auto’s. It would really open it up for light and airflow though.

I guess I’ll leave it alone. I don’t need to stress these girls anymore.

:v:. :green_heart:. & Happy Growing!

8 Likes

No leaves with autos… really?? I gotta here that backed up by someone??? That’s factual or like from Fox news… LoL just flowering tho huh?? Hmmm I never heard that one man, is that why my autos were only 6 inches… lol

6 Likes

I know lots of people do. I’ve done it before myself. I read one article and it spooked me! Lol.

Probably was one person’s opinion. You know how it is, so much info out there to read it becomes mind boggling. :v:

5 Likes

Never heard that about Autos. Here’s a topped and dropped auto I did a while back, I defoliated the typical 21/42 too. The second pic is the rooted top of one of them. Honestly, I did not treat them any differently except timing (no veg) to start cutting on them at 5/6 node.

7 Likes

DUDE … it’s The Dude!!! Fart I thought forever it was Jesus Christ in your avatar. Never looked close. LoL

7 Likes

So Jesus is having a cocktail?

Marty

7 Likes

Yes… LoL?! That’s what I thought, he was having a screwdriver… (couldn’t think of a “hell” drink)
could be water… OR wine I guess now looking back.

6 Likes

Hell drink…The Bloody Mary of course, and perfect on a Sunday morning.

6 Likes

That’s it… How did I not come up with that? Very good Mr. Fart - Ding ding… … LoL

7 Likes

Pina auto’s @ 63 days.

Zweet Child auto @ 40 days.

Pina’s have another week or two, probably 2. Zweet Child is coming along nicely.

Greenhouse is up, soil is cooking, seeds on their way…I love this time of year!

:v:. :green_heart:. & Have a great weekend!

10 Likes

According to everything I’ve read it should actually rejuvinate the soil Hap. I would put some organic stuff in it like seaweed meal to bump up the organic content.

Nothing wrong with reusing soil if it isn’t loaded with fertilizer salts, course you know that. One of the reasons for me going organic to get away from having to buy new soil every grow.

Marty

8 Likes