Cheap plastic film could cool your greenhouse

An interesting phenomenon, where IR energy is absorbed by this material and converted into a longer wavelength of light, thus reducing heat. Could see applications for this in greenhouses in warmer climates (IE Arizona), but it could also be used in HVAC systems or power systems such as ballasts…

4 Likes

This sort of materials science is fascinating and will definitely make for savings in the future.

1 Like

Up here in the north we spend more time trying to keep the greenhouse warm to extend the season! Our focus is on finding well insulated materials to keep the heat in - and when we have excess heat - we exhaust or pump it into the ground and store it in the soil to keep the greenhouses warmer for longer…

3 Likes

Hello @growopowners and @mastergrowers !

Here are some pictures of my Greenhouses that I’ve built in recent years.

Some pics have a poly carbonate double.

They have curtains and acrylic double.

*The double saves energy and the curtains controls shade and saves heat.*

Blackout shade is an option.

I’m still learning my way around this Network, but if anyone has any questions about building greenhouses in any climate, please feel free to check out my profile @markmountainshore and send me a private message.

I would be happy to jump on a call to answer any questions, provide my over 39years of expertise and work with anyone interested in my services.

Thanks!

Mark

7 Likes

I’ve grown from Michigan to Hawaii and double wall polycarbonate is the only way to go.

Abrasion resistant, crack resistant and even provides a thermal barrier. It’s the best up-grade I ever made to my greenhouses.

Charles R Pikcunas, Esq
Tsunami Tropicals Ltd

POB 502

Hawi, HI 96719 USA

8 Likes

How do you keep it cool – temperature and humidity controls, darkness? – A lot of pros – but lower cost but the cost of quality it too much.

Good luck

3 Likes

I might give that a try. The average temp during the summer @ my moms is well over 103, Its usually 85-90 by 8am and peaks between 106-108. The green house I built was hitting 120-130 before I installed an a/c system. It literally cooked in there. Any little bit would help.

4 Likes

Hi There,
My name is Mark McGinn
I’ve work on greenhouses since '79
when I started taking greenhouses down mostly Glass (great light, very energy uninefficient and susceptible the hail from our front range) and subsequently worked in many states in all the different conditions and the many different new greenhouses and cover materials and pros and con that you may be aware of
I’m based here and in California work in other states
I’d Like to Know more about the “interesting Phenomena” as I’m always looking for ways to suit my customers needs
give them the best fit for goals
since I reside mostly on the front range I’d like to see what you’re doing and what what benefit for plants that my customers grow
looks like you’ve done some research so very interested more more about your results you can email me markmountainshore@yahoo.com
or call 303-619-4650
It would be good to talk to somebody in the Know
Thank You!
Mark McGinn
Mountain Shore Inc.

4 Likes

HI

i have heard polycarbonate absorb some of the spectrum that is necessary for flower development.
how do you overcome this issue?

5 Likes

Hi Braudo,
Poly-carb blocks UV
Acrylic allows UV and Glass allows the light in as well and is the best way to go.
You can call 303-619-4650 if you have some more questions
Mark
McGinn
Mountain Shore Inc.

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more, 8mm double wall polycarbonate is what we recommend the most. Relatively high light transmission, 10x stronger than acrylic and 200x stronger than glass, fire and chemical resistant.

3 Likes

Natural ventilation is another energy efficient option to quickly cool your greenhouse. A ridge vent with roll up walls will promote convection and cool down the plants quick.

4 Likes

ridge vent, great idea.

I had roll up walls, but once your in the 110° not much helps.

5 Likes

Are you located in AZ? Hot a dry is manageable, hot and humid can be tough.

3 Likes

Desert growing is a different beast for sure! I use as much shade cloth as I use greenhouse material for growing under the desert sun!

3 Likes

Shade curtain will definently help! Evaporative cooling systems also work well in hot dry areas. Some of our customers achieve around a 30 degree drop in temps if the air is hot and dry. With a shade curtain you can potentially drop another 8 - 10 degrees. Hot and humid is where it gets tricky, AC units are not usually cost effective. At that point, it’s all about how frequently you can exchanging the air in the GH. The more air flow the better.

4 Likes

What are the best strategies to deal with humidity during light dep at night?

4 Likes

I grew cut flowers under, polyethylenes, polycarbonate and acrylics no problems with flowering in short day length plants. Some strange things in long day plants under polycarbonate, but just a couple degree temperatures charge fixes the problem. I like glasshouse production the best, and they strip UV in some spectrums. Just old fashioned that way.

Glasshouse production is just fun.

4 Likes

Dealing with humidity during light dep at night:

Same as dealing with humidity during the day. Combination of temp control, air circulation and air exchanges. Dehumidifier if needed. Are you having troubles with temps and humidity during the whole dep cycle or only when you first close the curtain?

-Dan
Agra Tech Greenhouse Manufactures

4 Likes

Dan,
Much of the light dep cycle. Humidity in the Mississippi Valley can be challenging.

5 Likes