Chipper/shredder for stalks and stems

I used a Bear Cat at the last grow I worked at and it was great on the dry stems and leaves but not so good on the fresh leaves. It jammed continually. We had a lot of product to grind to comply with our SOPs. So we started doing smaller batches more frequently and removed the safety cage in front of the blades. It worked better but no so safe. Also we resorted to pushing the fresh material into the hopper with wooded handles. Went thru a lot of handles.

4 Likes

That sounds sooooo scary! I can’t help but think of the movie Fargo…

Safety first, people!

3 Likes

Haha. Scary/dangerous yes. Do not attempt this at home.

4 Likes

Hello Hileelikelee,
Apologies for the delayed response—we are new to Growers Network and getting acclimated!

I’ve provided insight to your questions at the end that cover:
• Future grinder needs & power requirements
• Footprint & Warranty
• Shipping dimensions & weight

First, some insight on JWC Environmental. We have a global presence and four decades of experience working closely with our partners to ensure successful outcomes. We not only assist our partners in the cannabis and hemp market but also in the energy, wastewater, recycling, marine and facility management sectors just to name a few others.

What we have found through the cannabis space, “The Modern Day Gold Rush”, is Waste Compliance and Safety is often forgotten but imperative to the long-term success of any producer. Companies such as Aurora, Canopy, Organigram, Acreage Holdings and Zenabis have trusted us with their equipment needs because we understand their businesses unique needs and have built a true Strategic Partnership.

Our Monster Industrial systems cover:
• Comprehensive safety packages to protect operators
• Robust solutions with high torque and individual stacked cutters specific to your needs
• Overall solutions that keep you in compliance and operational

Insight to your questions. If you have time it may be better suited for us to chat via phones:
• Future grinder needs: What is your throughput needs?
• Power requirements: We have 1 and 3 phase systems available.
• Footprint: We have solutions ranging from 1HP -100HP.
• Warranty: One year after commissioning or until 18 months after delivery of such Product to Buyer, whichever is earlier, that each Product will be free of defects in material and workmanship.
• Shipping dimensions & weight: Varies based on specific needs.

All the best,
Tom Smith
toms@jwce.com
714-428-4671

5 Likes

I haven’t tried it with fresh leaves, those typically go into the compost at my place. I have used it for green stalks, and it worked fine. The problem I ran into was a build up of sticky resin around the blades, they began to seize up and the belt began to spin, so it may be beneficial to run some vegetable oil through the hopper or something to keep the blades lubricated and resin free.

2 Likes

Hello hileelikelee,

Speaking of compliance, in the state of Alaska, can you give me any information you have on the hold period between harvesting and waste destruction? Last I heard it was something like 3 days? Is that accurate? If so, do you know why that is? I would imagine that makes things inconvenient for various reasons…

Can you shed any light on this subject?

-TIA!:smiley:

2 Likes

yes, its 72 hours in order to give AMCO (state enforcement) a chance to enter facility to ensure no diversion of product. To prevent the green waste from molding and spreading that mold we put all green waste in a freezer after shredding then we take out of freezer, mix with used soil and throw in a locked dumpster. Really not that bad.

4 Likes

We’re using a craftsman 9hp chipper shredder, feed the entire stalk, wet or dry, into it and stand back with your goggles on.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply! Digging further…

-What states are under that 72hr hold rule, to your knowledge?

• Is it best to:
    harvest–>shred–>freeze/72hr hold–>then dumpster
    or
    harvest–>freeze/72hr hold–>shred–>then dumpster

-When it comes time to destroy what is the preferred method? and Why?

Thanks Again:)

3 Likes

When we harvest, defoliate, high skirt or cull the herd we shred first because that reduces volume then freeze, hold for 72 hours, mix with used soil or trash then dispose of. Before we had the freezer it was best to shred first so you’re not shredding nasty goop, we have an electric shredder since we have to use it indoors due to smell compliance and neighbors next door. I suppose if you were able to shred outdoors then it wouldnt matter as much if waste was moldy.
Hope that helps

4 Likes

Pam, do you find the woodchipper method to be a good one? I have heard that the speed carries a slight reckless abandon, which kicks up fumes and material all while being very loud. What are your thoughts?

4 Likes

I’ve heard that this is one of the better benefits of using electric shredders … is the “nasty goop” it can harsh the mellow of a reasonably good day. Tons of folks are blowing through chippers (no pun intended) because they can’t handle the wet stuff at the same rate.

3 Likes

What brand electric shredder do you use? What are the positives an negatives to that machine?

3 Likes

Hi Chris,

It’s not for the faint of heart, just think Fargo. We have over 100,000 sqft canopy outdoors on the one farm we use it on so we can’t be slow about the waste process. The craftsman is loud, it has chains, but the cowling hood keeps the stuff from flying out. I think if there are fumes and debris flying everywhere probably the wrong person is doing the job especially if they can’t keep up with the speed. Size your man power properly for the task and you won’t have OSHA visiting.

I’d like to see the field plant waste not be part of the 50%mix rule. They’re creating a huge expense where there is not a lot of revenue available. At least the indoor guys can repackage and resell their spent soil as potting soil to gain revenue to cover the cost of creating waste.

A friend of mine wanted to mix it 50/50 with spent mash from the distilleries and bag it for pig food.

There’s an opportunity here.

-Pam

5 Likes

Let’s chat!