Chop day for AK47 photo!

Today I harvested my AK47 photo. This plant was grown in buffered coir and fed with Dakine420. It is the first plant on which I used branch benders, and I am surprised at how well they spread the branches. Adding the scrog net helped keep them supported and spread out!
As a newbie, I am certain this plant produced the most dense and pungent final product of any that I have done!
There is no way I could have had this success without the tutelage and support of @PreyBird1 and @nacho151, as well as so many here on the forums!
Now to dry and cure, then seal into jars.
Any suggestions as to how long to dry, and the best way to cure, I would appreciate it!

18 Likes

Nice harvest @ArtVandalay!

6 Likes

Keep the humidity between 50 and 60% with good air circulation and starting in 7 to 10 days bend the stalks, when that snap they should be ready to jar them and burp them 2 or 3 times a day for at least 2 weeks with humidity packs in the jar. Your buds look great! If you get a chance post a closeup picture of 1 of the buds so we can see the trichomes.

6 Likes

The humidity in the hanging tent hovers around 40-42%. How can I raise it without purchasing a humidifier?

7 Likes

Well if you have a slow cooker, fill with water, set it on low, and put a fan blowing over it. That I think is the easiest way. Becareful of to much water vapor so you don’t get mold. I just saw this but haven’t read it yet.

5 Likes

I put a pot of water in the tent. Hopefully, that will work. Is the plant ruined if the humidity remains around 35-40%?

6 Likes

It will just smell and taste like yard waste after cutting the grass if it drys to fast.

7 Likes

Wow thats a nice big beautiful plant

7 Likes

Well that sucks, I prefer to not have spent almost 90 days creating yard waste. Heck, my dog does that four times per day!
I have one of those essential oil misting things, so I thoroughly cleaned it, put it in the tent (the small 3x3), and filled it with clean water. It doesn’t output an awful lot of vapor like a humidifier, but with the humidity level in the tent being about 40%, that little mister should be sufficient to bring the humidity to 50-53%. I will keep an eye on it.

6 Likes

Lol thats great man had me laughing for sure ha! Some people make a curing tent. I like to take my buds and let them hang at 35% humidity for a few days then i put them into large cardboard boxes lined with parchment paper. Thats how i control the humidity when there moist but not ready for jars. But ive dried lots of weed so i got it down perfect. Bit im literally about to buy the cannatrol storage solution machine. Its kinda expensive! $1700 but it gets flower ready to smoke in days and perfectly dries,cures and stores all the flower at the perfect humidity. I cant wait to buy one and put my logo on the Glass! They have that option!
This guy has a good review of this machine.

6 Likes

That machine looks great! I am going to try your cardboard box method. I checked the drying tent this morning and humidity was 40%. That little mister thing stopped working.

5 Likes

What size box do you use? Do you just lay the pieces in it, or suspend them somehow?

4 Likes

Here is a video on it.

5 Likes

This is what I have going. With and without flash.

8 Likes

You should be good with that setup! Just don’t over dry them.

5 Likes

Three days? Four?

4 Likes

Check by bending the stalk and when they snap they should be ready.

4 Likes

Got it. The into the mason jar and vacuum seal?

4 Likes

Burp them for about 2 weeks, if you have humidity packs use them. I’m not sure about vacuum sealing. I only vacuum seal rosin after I press it and put the rosin in the freezer.

3 Likes

Thats when I go to boxes just when the buds outter leaves are slightly crispy but the centers are soft still. Then every 12 hrs rotate the buds so you dont get flat spots. I use boxes like shoe box and the long skinny ones from amazon.

And this all brings me to this point.
A lot of people have no idea what it takes to make good weed. People need to appreciate the effort it takes and the time it takes. Thats why i hang around here people here GET IT. You cant have a normal conversation about growing weed with people.

I have used tents like that for drying and trying to hide smell more. they work well and then boxes but your going to have to watch them close. Start checking the small buds they dry out faster. Then the bigger ones squeeze them slightly dont squash them. See how dry they are every time you check them. We do not want moist buds in jars they will mold. I like the moisture packs once i go to jars ive stored flower for over a year like that.

5 Likes