Clackamas Coot's soil recipe question

I am a newbie and going to try to make Coot’s soil recipe. The base calls for sphagnum peat moss, an areation product (I will use perlite because pumice is unavailable in my area) and compost.
I do not have my own compost yet, so the only one available to me is “Just Natural” brand mushroom compost. Will that be ok?
Many of the other ingredients require special order as none of the big box stores around here carry them.
Has anyone here made a version if Coot’s using easily attainable ingredients? Or is Coot’s recipe over-hyped for the small quantity, newbie grower?
Thanks!

4 Likes

I made up my own recipe, not saying it’s a good one or bad one, but for a couple of grows it has worked great and produced some delicious “product” lol. I swear by 100% organic growing. I’ll never go back to “jug nutrients”.

I don’t see why you couldn’t use that compost.

Marty

4 Likes

This bloke Jeremy from Build-A-Soil made a good video about Coot’s mix, what the functions of the ingredients are and by what some can be replaced with. It’s on youtube, but I’ll try to find it for you.

5 Likes

That was easy

5 Likes

I have begun watching that channel, I should have looked there first! Thanks!

5 Likes

You can probably get compost on Amazon. And maybe some of the other ingredients you are looking for. Bulk products are probably not worth buying on Amazon because of shipping costs. But a lot of other stuff is easily purchased from them.
Good luck with your grow. @ArtVandalay

4 Likes