Cleaning your weed

After your weed is dried and are ready to smoke it, if you expose it for 11 minutes to UVC light to kill any mold, virus or bacteria, will that affect the THC/CBD in the weed?

If it had mold in it you shouldn’t smoke it at all. Not good for your lungs. You maybe could process it but that’s still iffy in my book.

8 Likes

Welcome to GN @joebud!
I’m afraid @missiles has the right of it. If it’s moldy, it’s dangerous for your lungs.
If you think you might have issues with bugs and “crap” in your flowers, you would be better off to wash your harvest before drying it! :nerd_face:

9 Likes

Bud rot and mold sucks. To much humidity will cause some serious issues.

I wouldnt smoke anything that had mold. Chop and discard.

6 Likes

Personally I would not smoke weed with mold, be very careful you can get respiratory infections. After seeing this post decided to do my own quick wash that I been meaning to do. Here it is GN fam:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAAtNZoH9RK/

7 Likes

Man I must be showing my age, when I first read the title of this thread, all I could envision is the most popular pot-cleaning tool of all time:

10 Likes

I got to agree, when I start to listen to Pink Floyd, it doesn’t take long to “clean” my stash off! :rofl:
It all disappears quickly! :crazy_face:

6 Likes

i do a 3 part wash at harvest. 5 gallon bucket of water with 3 bottles peroxide, followed by one with lemon juice ( one of those squeeze lemons) and then a final water rinse. shake well and hang dry. nips any issues before they multiply.

2 Likes

Welcome @dstorton… Honestly I would never wash my buds at all that’s just defeats the point take counter measures so you don’t need to… In my eyes you’re destroying something beautiful you worked so hard to achieve

had a mite problem i needed to eliminate before they ruined everything. worked like a charm, bud tasted great, no leftover taste ( or bugs or dirt in my flower). same mix will work for removal of mildews, and other environmental dirt. I’m a biochemist by profession, so i applied a bit of my chemistry knowledge…

6 Likes

The word peroxide scares me honestly lol… But since you are a biochemist how do the trichomes and natural oils and terpenes stay intact?

THC and oils are not soluble in Hydrogen Peroxide which is aqueous. They were completely intact. THC and oils would only be affected if you used an alcohol or an oil… that is why if you do extractions you can only use high percentage alcohol or butter/oil. Water based solvents don’t dissolve them.

7 Likes

Still scares the shit out of me but obviously I alot of researching and learning to do if I ever wash… Thanks for being smart :wink:…you learn something new everyday… Start a journal bro :call_me_hand::seedling::herb::palm_tree:

2 Likes

I stopped smoking weed a month ago because i can’t find a clean weed in my state and all of it have mold and not pure and without it i wake up every morning with anxiety and depression, everytime i check my Facebook or Instagram i see new bad news in the world, fires, global warming, Covid-19 !! there is a new crisis every single month this bad year, my best friend helped me about it and told me about Kratom Strains for anxiety and told me to order it from kratominsider.com , i tried it and i actually i like how it feels, it feels better than weed.

1 Like

I highly recommend a bud wash, especially if growing outdoors. This was the first rinse of my last wash from a little cannabonsai that only yielded about 20g. I washed and rinsed again and got more. If you’re worried about how it affects flavor and high, don’t. That bud was SO much better to smoke than my first run of that strain, which wasn’t washed. Great flavor and no noticeable affect on potency.

10 Likes

@mudman I also wash my outside weed. Did a trial on some washed and some not. I will always wash my weed from now on! The nasty ,dirty stuff that comes off it in the water is incredible!
Your weed tastes so much better and you don’t have all the bug carcus, dirt or anything else in it . I also live on a dirt road in the country. Don’t want to smoke all that dust!
Does not effect the potency of your weed or ruin it. Been doing it for years.

8 Likes

I have this controversial view that if you don’t exactly know what you are doing, it’s better to not try and do everything on your own. Like it can be quite damaging smoking moldy pot, and not worth it in my view. It’s just like if you’re thinking about buying weed from the street or from dispensaries. If we were to have enough dispensaries so everyone could have access to them and to their safe products I feel like a lot of misconceptions about the overall cannabis field would disappear, cause so many of the so-called bad reactions are actually caused by third parties substances, so to say. I have two different friends that are each trying to open dispensaries in Los Angeles and I find it so fascinating. You can find here more information about opening one because it explains everything a lot better than I could.

1 Like

Never said we smoked “moldy” weed. Growing outside or even inside, what you spray, what is in the environment, gets on your weed.
You wash your fruits and veggies, right? :smirk:
It gets all the sediment, dirt… things you DON’T want to smoke,off your buds.
I’ll keep doing it! Washing my weed!:green_heart:

6 Likes

Yeah I wash my harvest I mean the shit that comes off in the wash I wouldn’t want to smoke and I grow indoors

6 Likes

I can see that somebody has already told you that you shouldn’t even be smoking the weed if it’s moldy, but I’d like to highlight this one more time. And this is because I’ve done that several times before, and I would honestly rate it the worst experience of my life. I was vomiting 24/7, coughing 24/7, and had that queasy feeling in my stomach. It’s rather unpleasant than dangerous, but make sure you don’t do that. By the way, I thought it would be nice to share with you this website Products – Osiris Organics I came across recently. I got myself a CBD tincture and CBD gummies from them, and they’re super affordable and yummy. Check them out!

2 Likes