Climate Change: Has it affected you?

Has climate change affected your business? If so, how?

I was inspired to ask this question because of an entirely unrelated article.

2 Likes

I will say that we have had two of the hottest summers in memory recently. My year round growing model was built on yearly temperature averages from the previous twenty years. Well, we are no longer growing year round as a result of the high heat. Two years ago, all of my roots suffocated due to the lack of oxygen (o2 gets pushed out of higher temp water). This last year I put in chillers and oxygen infusion systems. I had beautiful and healthy roots, but the pollination was poor (I grow tomatoes). So I had plants, but no fruit. So this year, I am going with one long 10 month cycle vs smaller staggered ones over 12 months. I may actually get a vacation this year, so in the long run it may be a good thing :slight_smile: .

Ok, I have to call out the terrible naming conventions used to describe our climate. Climate change…well, my climate changes every day…and also with the seasons. Global warming…yes, it does get warm…every spring and summer. If the guys pushing a climate agenda want to be taken more seriously, they may want to start with terms that accurately describe the issue. Maybe ‘Climatic Consequence’ or ‘Climate Decay’…dunno. Regardless, we are along for the ride…

Change is inevitable — except from a vending machine. ~Robert C. Gallagher

5 Likes

My personal favorite is “Global Weirding.” It’s kind of accurate. The weather gets a lot stranger first, before it really starts getting hot everywhere. Climate change is just a blanket term because everywhere is affected differently.

2 Likes

The weather systems of today are not the same as they were 20 years or more ago. There is no consistency to the seasons anymore. Storms are more intense. Dry spells last longer. Plants and animals are confused and trying to adapt.

It’s only just begun. Buckle up. Learn how to grow your own food under harsh conditions cause the world is only 1 bad season away from all sorts of trouble. We have it easy in the west, but it won’t be that way for much longer.

I feel saddened thinking about the shitstorm our kids and grandkids will inherit.

Humans have really fucked up and it seems there is very little will to fix it or change our ways.

4 Likes