Clone Fridge

So I have acquired a old non working 50/50 split fridge.
The inside is 40 (15,74) B x 40 (15,74) W x 70cm (27,55 inch) H.

The bottom parts height is 50cm (19,68), due to the step at the bottom where the compressor was in at the back.

I’m adding 6 CFL’s to the bottom part.
Staggered between Warm and Cool White globes.

I still need to buy 2 more globes.
And at the top part, I’m using the LED light from my converted bedside cupboard.

I’m talking the bedside cupboard apart to use it’s components in the fridge. Saving some cash and improving my grow operation all in one. I already have most of the components and spares needed sofar.

Happy Growing :vulcan_salute:

8 Likes

Looking good! Make sure your drills or saws are sharp when you cut into it for ventilation - the fridge I modded was similar to yours, but with no 50/50 split, and behind the soft foam and plastic was a thick sheet of steel.

6 Likes

Hi Brother @devjyarn. Thanks for the heads up, this is luckily not my first fridge build. Some photo’s of my first fridge.
It had a 400W HPS flowering compartment and a Vegging CFL compartment.

15 Likes

Very nice I did something very similar with a mini fridge.

4 Likes

That looks awesome! I’m excited to see how your clone fridge turns out.

5 Likes

Thanks @CoyoteCody
Show some pics and share some info @CoyoteCody

4 Likes

Wow… @docdre, @CoyoteCody, you guys are ‘’cool’’ ! :rofl: :man_facepalming:

5 Likes

Thanks @devjyarn
I will keep you guys and girls posted. Hopefully I take enough pictures :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: sometimes my hands are faster then my brain, when it comes to fixing and doing things like this. But I do try and plan everything out mentally before doing or fitting things. I keep mental notes on ideas, it’s just easier to fix and change them during the build :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy:. I always measure twice and fit or cut once. Not everything I do makes sense at first, but it always works out somehow :seedling:

7 Likes

Sarcastic Much @kapouic ??? Or is it just Jealousy talking :joy::rofl::joy:

5 Likes

More like admiration, and even I, thought that joke was lame, but I just had to do it :rofl:

7 Likes

Not the best shots, but it is being used for other projects right now that I cant mention here lol, so I cant get more pictures right now. Also it no longer has the coil or wires in the back.

8 Likes

All Is Fair in Love and Learning of the Master Plant :seedling: Brother :muscle:

5 Likes

That’s a sweet build @docdre! Can’t wait to see how your new fridge turns out. :v:

5 Likes

Small Update.
I only had a short while to work on the fridge tonight after work. I can’t work in the flat past eight at night. I make noise and the boys have to sleep :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. So I got all the vent holes drilled. Wired and connected 5 CFL’S in the bottom compartment.

Fits nicely into my living area and Camouflages well.

Still To Be Completed:
Fit top compartment LED grow light.
Fit ventilation and fans.
Fitting the heat mat in the bottom compartment.
Tidying things up and rounding off some things.
And then more Thinking :thinking: and Implementing of improvements as they come up, till I’m maybe happy with what I’ve got going.

7 Likes

Update On The Progress.
I have installed the 50W LED Grow light from the bedside cupboard in the top compartment of the fridge. With the 5 CFL globes at the bottom compartment.

I have added a intake fan (pc fan) at the bottom compartment

At the back of the intake.

It forces the hot air up and out at the back of the fridge.

The 12VDC power supply that powers the fan(s).

My current clones in their new home.

I mounted my Temp/Humidity at the back.

I still need to mount fans inside each compartment to circulate the air and move air across the leafs.

6 Likes

Still, impressive job so far! :star_struck:

3 Likes

Very, very cool! :blush:

3 Likes

Well the fridge will take some time to get use to. I have switched off the LED top compartment for now. The plants don’t seem to like LED light as much as the CFL globes. So I placed them all in the bottom CFL compartment.

I placed the Gorilla Breath at the bottom to promote some stretch.

The Queen Sherbet

The Black Dog

All the plant seemed to just stay alive under the LED but not really grow. I have also topped 2 branches on the Gorilla Breath to give me some more branches (grow tips).
I’m looking to clone the Gorilla Breath, once there are some nice clones to be cut from it. The Sherbet and Dog is still going to take awhile before I can clone from them and before any of them are going outside to the greenhouse.

2 Likes

Update
They have had a slight haircut and had some new growth. They have picked up PM from my outdoor plants when they visited the garden for some sunlight. But luckily it looks to be under control at the moment.

The Gorilla Breath had the most growth of the 3.

2 Likes

I also like to save money and use some tricks from improvised materials to make smth useful for my home. Well done, great job! So, I’m new to growing, so I’m still studying this issue. And to be honest, I would not have thought to use an old refrigerator for this, so I’m glad that I found this community and I want to say thank you for the idea! I just have an old refrigerator that I need to replace a long time ago. I’ll take it to the garage and use it for plants, and I’ll buy a new one for the house. I need a quality refrigerator and I found such a site ianboer.com.au, if you can help me choose one, I will appreciate it.

1 Like