Clones- propagation dome necessary?

I just cloned two of my expensive plants. Two plants so quickly turn to ten!! Well, hopefully.

I don’t have a dome but have now McGyvered some cling wrap to give at least the illusion of a partial dome.

I also have them slightly away from the light.

Thoughts?

Oh ya, and after all was done I called my gardening genius Daddy who told me that he finds powdered rooting hormone to be more effective than the liquid kind I used.

I’ve been told Aloe makes a good rooting stimulater too! Is there nothing mother nature can’t do?

6 Likes

The trick with a dome is you want to keep the humidity high, as the cuttings are giving off more water than they’re taking in (because they have no root structure yet). Keeping humidity high slows transpiration rate. If you can achieve a high humidity without a dome, that should work in theory as well. Slowing transpiration gives them enough time to build a root structure.

8 Likes

They’re looking quite a bit better. Thanks for the explanation too!

It’s quite exciting isn’t it? Giving new life!

4 Likes

I have successfully cloned, without a dome several times. Just keep spritzing the tops every now and then…I had no problems.
But…
After winning a TurboKloner with a dome, I do find I like the dome! A little less work, and saves some time, by not having to spray them every so often.
Just depends on which way works best for you!

3 Likes

@Dianna.Donnelly willow trees produce a great organic rooting horomone.

6 Likes

I have heard that too! Thanks for the reminder :slight_smile:

4 Likes

In an aeroponic setup, the dome isn’t necessary but i find it helps!

If your are doing trays with no aero mist, I highly recommend utilizing the dome to maintain ambient RH levels.

4 Likes

Hi,

my own point of view here is; it help but is not necessary.
You would be amazed to see that just putting you cutting in a glass of water is sufficient for rooting.

But to make it right it’s better to control the humidity level, so having a dome and opening it every day to bring fresh air and avoid moisture.

Cheers

4 Likes