Collecting pollen- the Goddess way

@cratix @repins12 @Arrow @kapouic @Slym3r @pptrsha1 @happilyretired @LoCoRocK @Enlightened420 @rapseed

Hi y’all! I am going to share how I am collecting pollen in my current ABC project.

Pls keep in mind Im a noob and continually learning, and tweeking things. Or is that twerking thongs??
Anyway. . . .also, whereas its great to share procedures, remember to always do what works for u! Anyone who projects “my way or the highway” is prob just overwhelmed with enthusiasm!

First thanks to Arrow and espec Sniper who helped me. Also shout out to @hydro who told me a crucial part I was missing!

Repins gave me tons of links to youtube videos about pollen collection–jsyk-- they’re out there.

A couple general facts about pollen first.

1. WATER INACTIVATES/RUINS POLLEN
  2. Pollen is yellow
  3. Pollen is such a fine fine powder, u will see poofy clouds of it, but not distinct grains. (Think dust particles u see in the air in streams of sunlight.) Its so fine and lightweight- it floats in the air all over!
  4. When u shake branches over foil-- the dusting of pollen that lands will be so fine u might think nothing is there! Before u start cussing under yer breath. . .carefully pick up the sheet of foil-- keep it flat/ parallel to the floor. Fold it in half across the width and gently tap the side. Then open up the foil and fold in half lengthwise. Tap again. Now open the foil and u will see a small pile of pollen where the folds intersect!

See how it is yellow, but has darkness in the middle? That prob is some plant material and u dont want that in there!
    Therefore I ordered these pans on Amazon with even finer mesh, and I will re-strain.

Ive collected with 3 methods so far.
The First Way – u remove a couple male branches, keep the cut end in water (much like a newly- cut clone). Lean the branch over a foil- lined pan.

The sheet of foil is under the mesh, between the 2 trays. U cant see it.

Everyday, gently shake or bump the branches. U’ll see the pollen cloud puff out. Im not sure why the water, and u sure dont wanna spill it!!
I guess the idea is to extend the branch’s life so the balls keep making pollen. But @970cannetics has a technique,
The Second Way -where u put the cut branches in a bag and dont use water. Check out his way too.

The Third way
I am doing this way currently.
I take my trim tray to the male plant and hold it up to the ball-laden branches in one hand.

The other hand hold a big container lid. I bump/ push the male branches with the lid,

pushing it down toward the trim tray. Remember the pollen wants to float tf all over the place! So after u bump the plant, hold still a few seconds so hopefully the lid stops the float-away, and the pollen settles into ur trim tray or bowl, whatever ur collecting in.

Before I forget. .
Its REALLY important to store pollen that is DRY.
After I get pollen on the folded up foil, I carefully dump it into an empty pill bottle. Put that somewhere safe (away from cats? Clumsy people??) I add a few grains of rice. But i see some people use those de-moisture packs u see in new shoes or some prescriptions.

So what did Hydro share with me?? Hes the one who suggested I strain my collected stuff in my trim tray. Before that, i was just catching it on foil in a bowl-- no mesh! And what happens is. . a lot of empty balls fall off and also little tiny green bits ( idk what they are!l).

But when I saw them, i thought why is my pollen green? So now I put the sheet of foil under the mesh – u know-- where the kief would drop.

Another suggestion. . .try to collect extra pollen. . .beyond ur needs. Its great to have a lil extra so u can offer to help other growers who might appreciate it. Especially with the mutant strains that are a little on the rarer side.

17 Likes

Ty all for checking this out and “liking” it!!
But pls feel free to add any thoughts, comments or corrections. I am not married to these techniques and I look forward to continuing to learn and get better!!
Isnt weed-growing amaze balls?!!! I love it!
@TheMadFlascher @KevGrows @newbiegrower251 @mudman @Jimhigh66 @cww03 @defnsmokn

10 Likes

So far I’ve worked my hardest to not get any seeds so I’m no help. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Yeah Happiness and I know ur not into creating new crosses of crosses ( of crosses of ur cousin, twice removed!) Lol
Im not into that either. I just want to make more seeds of certain strains for my own use.
:grin::+1:t3:

4 Likes

“pollen is yellow” :rofl: :skull::coffin:

4 Likes

@tenga, you got me all flustered Girl ! I kept looking up and down and only saw ways 1-3…kept looking for that ‘Godess Way’…guess that was a teaser for all us old men!!!

7 Likes

“The goddess way” is subject to change!! A womans perogative, ya know!!
@TheMadFlascher.
:wink:

8 Likes

If it works, it works :+1:t2:

4 Likes

Kev, nice to see you back !!! Hopefully life has been good to you during your absence!!!

The topic of your ‘mysterious’ disappearence has come up often in multiple posts!

Anyway Welcome Back!

4 Likes

Set to learn …any naked cartwheels or topless ABC photo bombs …let us know beforehand …:wink::joy::sunglasses::v:

8 Likes

Have you ever seen a pollinator (Amsterdam) they are amazing pollen collectors and also make great dry sift and dry ice hash.not cheap tho but there’s a knock off from France that’s quite cheaply made but affordable for sure, but don’t use it to make hash it will die (the one from France;)

5 Likes

https://forum.growersnetwork.org/t/seeder-breeder-grow-journal-let-the-pollen-begin/47850/19?u=970cannetics

Here is a little more all around good basic knowledge to know.
Happy growing.

3 Likes