Commercial Grow Start Up

Hello All!

I am currently trying to soak any and all info on regards of starting up a small scale commercial grow. I live in Cali for now but plan on moving to the east coast and setting up shop on the anticipation of the laws changing somewhat in the near future. I currently still hone my craft in the current garden and saving capital for the investment for the business in the next couple of years.
I was thinking of a steel building that is 50x100x12 built on the property and approximately around 30 lights to start with and somewhat of a small amount of a automated irrigation system. Not to much automation because i enjoy working hands on with the plants. Any advice and “do’s and donts” are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

3 Likes

Bro good luck on the east that’s where I am and were in the same boat

1 Like

Will you be purchasing or leasing your new space?.. I’m from California as well always be sure to have all licenses and documentation ready for authorities or property management

4 Likes

What an awesome adventure. Dot all your i’s and cross your tees like @scotty17. Also consider doing a business plan for your own peace of mind. Wishing you the best of luck, amazing time to be alive.

5 Likes

@scotty17. I will be putting it on my property and have the acre or so rezoned for agriculture to build the steel building on.

I do need to make sure all the licensing is good to go. Hopefully is wont be a really long draw out process.
Do operate a commercial grow?

1 Like

@chrisj I am still figuring out what all the business plan will consist of. I know probably for me is have the steel building wired up to put out the power amount that i will need. I will be going LED with the lights, so there is some money saved in the long run and more efficiency.

2 Likes

Sounds like you have it handled @goodleaf… One step at a time and before you know it you’ll have plants up and running… I don’t operate I’m actually a very small home grower but I’ve done my homework for when my time comes and own a small flooring business so I’m familiar on what it takes to get a business on it’s feet… First things first get the zoning permits and cultivation licenses and your building up and then the fun part really begins with designing your grow rooms and picking out equipment… Talk to @NateCannaCribs he owns growers house and distributes to many commercial grows he has some of the best LEDs on the market… Start thinking about strains and genetics too that’s one thing I’ve learned is extremely important when growing as well

3 Likes

@scotty I definitely want a diverse amount of strains. Some new and some old school classics. I do believe that the cultivation licenses will be the biggest hurdle though. Everything else I can either scale up or down depending on the capital and the expenses. I wont be worrying about employees due to the operation can be handled by me and I have three kids with strong backs…lol

1 Like

Being able to keep it in the family “sort of speak”
is a real bonus as well. Best goodleaf.

2 Likes