Common Coco Coir Problem?

Floraflex feeding automatically 4 times a day for 1 minute at a time, 4-5gallon pots. GH nutrients at 6.5ph and 950ppm. 70/30 Coco Perlite

I noticed new leaf tips are brown. Checking runoff its coming in at 5.1 I’m assuming not enough solution is going through but it could be that the nutrients are not being used and causing salt buildup? PPM on runoff is 1050, so not much difference.

Would a florakleen flush be in order or am I underwatering?

2 Likes

Added info: Drain to waste, Recharge once a week. GH nutes are Calmag, Silica, Micro, Grow, Bloom. Tap water that’s sat for a day to reduce chlorine. (working on RODI system next week)

3 Likes

Pictures would help, im making a bunch of assumptions on your setup. 950/1050 isn’t bad ( I feed 1048 from sprout with jacks up to 1600end), but how big/little are they? and coco/perlite feed at 5.8 -6.1 like hydro. Need more info as in did you mix the 70/30; but the silica dust in perlite should take the pH the other direction to alkaline. Only thing I can think of is 2 part, the plant is taking more water and evaporation are leaving you acidic/higher salts. Increase your watering to 1.5 mins and see if that drops it, I’m thinking it seems to be a runoff issue. I’d try this before I flushed, but thats next step. You should be getting like 20% runoff, I believe is common thought.

3 Likes

So a new change is that I’ve started dialing in VPD. In this case, humidity has been raised to get closer to the “green” zone. Would a sudden and dramatic increase in humidity cause brown tips on new growth? Previous humidity was around 40-45% and now at 60% at 77F.

2 Likes

Brown tips to me, “painted nails”, mean you are feeding at the max the plant wants at this time, (this is a goal of mine honestly). There you have the Evap I was getting at, increase your runoff, coco breathes well so it also loses water almost as well. If your in something like those rain science bags, it evaps even faster so runoff is even more important to control that salt build up and pH swing.

2 Likes

Sounds like good advice, I have increased feeding times from 1 to 2 minutes. I’ll monitor over the next few days. I have a gallon of florakleen in case, but I’m not experienced in using it. Sorry I am unable to share any photos.

2 Likes

Its Ok, I think we logic’d our way to a possible culprit…report back I’m curious

3 Likes