Companion plants in your garden, what are you growing?

Companion plants can serve a variety of purposes. Some plants can fix nitrogen and others can ward off some of the insects that devastate our crops. Many no till, organic, and biodynamic growers swear by their efficacy. What are your thoughts? @memberdirectory what have you used? What worked – or didn’t? Be a pal and let’s chat companion plants.

4 Likes

My favorite companion plant right now is comfrey. In permaculture it is a “dynamic accumulator”. It is a perennial so works best in long term no till setups outdoors. I always plant it with fruit trees. The huge leaves it puts out all season are full of Calcium and Silica which are crucial for plants and tough to liberate from the soil or deliver organically as liquid. “Chop and Drop” mulching.

I am chasing down an elusive dwarf variety that would be great for indoor no till setups…

4 Likes

My good friend JJ form Hidden Leaf Ghse in Kalamazoo MI, owns and operates an 8 ac ghse operation growing a wide range of ornamental flowers.
JJ has become a master in utilizing Bio-controls and Bio-rational sprays. He also grows ornamental peppers in large pots to place around the greenhouse for late fall and winter growing. These plants provide “Orius” and some of his other predators with the necessary pollen and other nutrients they need to keep breeding / reproducing in his greenhouses. Keeping a healthy balance of predators vs pest, providing a high level of control for Thrips and other damaging pest.
Knowing what your plants pest favorite food are is also helpful, we call them indicator plants as pest will show up on them first and you will look at hose plants more closely when doing your weekly pest scouting.

4 Likes

Let us know if you find that plant! Very interesting information, thank you!

3 Likes

Fascinating! What indicator plants are you using?

2 Likes

Just tracked down some dwarf stock from an old property manager where I know it was. Will be growing it out. Ships really easily as crowns when I have enough to share

3 Likes

Indicator plants.
There are many, sometimes you’ll find a weed around the greenhouse that always has a particular pest on it.That’s a good indicator plant!

But, for something that may have secondary value we have used these.
Regular Peppers, Eggplant, Marigolds, Ipomoea (sweet potato vine) Chrysanthemums.

There are many more you just have to find something the pests like better than the crop you’re trying to grow

3 Likes

Really good postings this morning ! Here is a picture of a grower’s solution to companion plantings that I’ve been in conversation withWhite%20clover1 . He used Organic White Clover as his cover crop. It grows to about 6 inches and really blocks out other weeds, along with supplying his field with extra nitrogen.

4 Likes

while putting/top dressing with compost/manure after harvest would you prefer choping it? or just spread compost over the clover. Will I be required to plant more clover seeds after top dressing the soil?

2 Likes

It would probably be best to cut clover a bit first, just top it high with mower. This will allow for easier topdressing application and the clover will fill back in. Should not have to reseed.@Chitrali

3 Likes