Compost Teas

Do we have anyone on this lovely site that has knowledge on teas. I’ve been reading a few books on composting, and they have referenced teas but no further info. Can anyone assist me into understanding the pros and cons of different teas, or post links to books or blogs with info?

1 Like

There’s a lot of books out there, with a lot of different types of teas. I use the Revs teas from his book True Living Organics. They work great and don’t stink( good for indoors).

3 Likes

Compost tea and microbial tea, oh yeah lets brew it.
Want to know the difference and now to make?
I have a few recipes for drenching and foliar from
Key to Life Supply.
By the way, you will likely make a mess but it’s all part of the fun.
Kyle M

5 Likes

@Olcoot Will be ordering that book much appreciated, @FarmerK yes i would really love to learn the differences and how to make teas.

2 Likes

We use anything we can to make teas, manure, garden weeds like dandelion. I dont think you can really go wrong with different teas. I am keen on the book from the Rev, thanks for sharing @Olcoot

3 Likes

If you live in the u.s you can get the xtreme gardening sample pack which has a couple of quickie compost tea bags , also nectar for the gods ( they also have a sample pack)are basically teas without the bacteria( and more concentrated, lastly you can get a fish shit sample bottle to get a bacteria base for your medium

2 Likes

Much appreciation everyone :grin:, @chrisj I dont mean to ask a million questions but why dandelions?
@greensnek are they pre brewed or will I have to cook this concoction?

3 Likes

You’d have to brew the tea bags everything else is just add to water then top water into your medium

3 Likes

We have a large amount that pop up in the garden. They are rich in nutriets and minerals, especially potassium. So the flowers and leaves mixed with some manure and comphrey is an easy way to make a concentrated fertilizer for our plants.

There are two ways to create dandelion fertilizer tea, both similar. For the first method, obtain a large bucket with a lid. Place the weeds in the bucket, roots and all. Add water, about 8 cups (2 L.) per pound (0.5 kg.) of weeds. Cover the bucket with the lid and leave it for 2-4 weeks. Read more at Gardening Know How: Making Dandelion Fertilizer Tea: Tips On Using Dandelions As Fertilizer.

3 Likes

Ton of things to use in teas
Here’s what I make my teas in

5 Likes

Thats a very nice bubbler. The more bubbles the better.

3 Likes

Mr Blue you must have quite the grow. Nice bubbler. Theodyssey there is so much online look up tea recipes.

3 Likes

I prefer credible sources if you know what I mean.

2 Likes

Do you mix multiple ingredients for your tea?

2 Likes

Yes recharge bat guano seabird guano, Epsom salt.earthworm casting, molasses or bud bloom in flower.
Now and again cal-mag
Oh and phosphorus I have a few strains don’t grow good with out it kinda sucks it up more so then others :+1:t2:
YouTube has a ton on teas recommend watching some

2 Likes