Contaminated cannabis? Mold & Fungi solutions?

I would like to write a little about what I know about pesticides and market my product a little bit only because I want people to understand that our product has secondary benefits concerning this topic. Basically these issues boil down to overall plant health, yes curing environment and other processes open the door for this problem after the plant has expired and the grower should be diligent in their studies on how to prevent this, there is a lot of good information here.

First lets talk insects…

“Pesticide” is a general term which can further segmented into insecticides, fungicides and herbicides. URB Sciences estimates the reduction in insecticides to be approximately 90%. Generally speaking, insects prey on weak plants and URB grown plants are much stronger than conventionally grown plants as evidenced by higher brix, chlorophyll and protein levels.

In addition to healthier plants having fewer disease/insect issues, there are two other modes of action URB products have against insects – higher brix levels and quorum sensing. The higher brix levels (natural sugars) we have documented in a number of crops are the plants’ natural protection system. Insects don’t have livers to digest sugars so the sugars stay in the insects’ stomachs, ferments and kills them. Low brix levels are signs of less-than-healthy plants so having insects kill the less-than-healthy plants is Mother Nature’s way of promoting the survival of the fittest.

As an aside, insects are attracted to free nitrogen ions. Most fertilizers consist of, or break down into, free nitrogen ions.

Microbes produce an electromagnetic frequency; the more microbes, the stronger the signal, known as “quorum sensing.” In layman’s terms, this signal basically tells insects to stay away. Obviously, URB increases the number of microbes and hence, the strength of the electromagnetic signal.

BUT WHAT ABOUT MOLDS AND FUNGI THAT IS WHAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT???

Yes, I’m glad I asked…

URB estimates a 50% reduction in fungicides due to the natural bio-pesticides included in the formulation.

Getting more technical, the bio-pesticide (bio-control) function is comprised predominately by Trichoderma strains. Strains of Trichoderma are included in URB as bio-pesticide agents against fungal diseases of plants, especially powdery mildew. The various direct inhibition mechanisms against plant pathogens include antibiosis, mycoparasitism, inducing host-plant resistance to stress through enhanced root and plant development, solubilization and sequestration of inorganic nutrients, inactivation of the pathogen’s enzymes, and competition for nutrients or space. The bio-pesticides generally grow in their natural habitat on the root surface, and so affect root disease in particular, but can also be effective against foliar diseases. This is one reason why we recommend foliar application in veg, we have a high quality fulvic acid with great trans-membrane abilities, allowing these bio pesticides to be in full force on the leaves of Cannbis as well as the rhizosphere. Once the bio-pesticides come into contact with roots, they colonize the root surface or cortex, depending on the strain. The best strains will colonize root surfaces even when roots grow three feet below the soil surface. In addition to colonizing roots, Trichoderma attack, parasitize and otherwise gain nutrition from other fungi. Since Trichoderma grow and proliferate best when there are abundant healthy roots, they have evolved numerous mechanisms for both attack of other fungi, and for enhancing plant and root growth.

Different strains of Trichoderma control every pathogenic fungus for which control has been sought. However, most Trichoderma strains are more efficient for control of some pathogens than others. The recent discovery in several labs that some strains induce plants to “turn on” their native defense mechanisms offers the likelihood that these strains also will control pathogens other than fungi.

Because bio-pesticides contain multiple modes of action, they are well suited for rotation in pest management programs. For example, a bio-pesticide may create holes in the gut of the pest (fermented sugars), whereas conventional pesticides are often neurotoxins.

There is far less data on the bio pesticide benefit using URB than the other benefits, however, if you research the benefits of a good compost tea you will notice the science is there. One way to think of URB is “concentrated mother nature” or “an easy mix compost tea of the highest quality” URB is organic and contains no chemicals, not even in its production…what we have done is figure a patented process to keep all the good strains of microbes, which you would make in the best of compost teas, alive and concentrated at insane levels, for long periods of time without aeration. We basically have the equivalent of the OG grower from deep in the woods 20 year to perfection… tea recipe in a bottle that you can simply measure out, mix with water and apply. I would argue that it is an even better formulation due to its lab formation and our ability to control how many and the exact compilation of microbes in each bottle.

BOTTOM LINE…

Besides the cost, the adverse environmental impact of pesticides is substantial. An array of pesticides belonging to different chemical classes is used for controlling a variety of plant diseases. A number of pesticides are recalcitrant to degradation, persist in the environment, and enter the human/animal food chain constituting a threat to public health and a potential hazard to the environment. Some are toxic to humans even at parts per billion levels. There is increasing public concern regarding the continued use of chemical pesticides at high levels and there is a growing need for developing environmentally friendly approaches to control cannabis diseases and contribute to the goal of sustainability in cannabis production.

Please note; while there have been successes treating various plant diseases and insect issues, these benefits are not our primary selling points. In fact, in the U.S., we are not even allowed to sell our product as a bio pesticide since we are not licensed by the FDA to do so. Any benefits on plant disease should be considered a secondary benefit – no customer should use our products based on the ability to control a disease. Yield increase is our primary benefit.

Furthermore, in dealing with plant diseases and insect control, URB work best as a preventative, not a curative. Healthy plants have fewer diseases and we grow healthier plants. Just like a human with an impaired immune system is more likely to catch a cold than a human without an impaired immune system. The higher nutrient levels previously discussed are evidence of healthier plants as are the numerous points of test data showing longer roots, thicker stalks, more leaves, bigger leaves, etc.

If the plant already has a disease or is infested with insects, it is much more difficult for URB products to treat. Please remember, our products work by making the soil healthier – they are not fertilizers, nor pesticides, and the time it takes to work is much longer than a fertilizer or a pesticide.

2 Likes

Mold is common in agriculture. The trick is not to use fungicides, but use beneficial microbes to combat the rogue mold. Everything in life is microbial warfare. The majority of your problems come from a sterile environment. Once a rogue bacteria or mold is introduced and has the right environment, it takes off and explodes in population. If you use beneficial microbes, you never have to worry about the bad ones. As soon as bad bacteria or fungi is introduced into the soil, it’s devoured by the beneficials and turned into nutrients for the plant. If a mold spore lands on a leaf or bud, same principle, the beneficials eat it for breakfast.

The problem is modern day agriculture practice uses chemicals which hurt beneficials and practices which create sterile environments.

At Goliath Grow, we teach probiotic NoTill organic farming. Using this methodology, mold issues are a thing in the past. We also have a mineral based soil and plant conditioner, which boosts the plants immune system and also inhibits mold growth when used as a foliar spray.

Another thing to consider is VPD and other environmental pressures. We can assist in this area as well and help get your facility smooth sailing and mold free :sailboat:

3 Likes

IPM done right should be a lower cost solution. We found at our own farm that IPM cost less than 25% the cost of traditional horticultural methods.

We spent almost no money on high cost pesticides. We had no issues around re-entry times. Much lower labor costs. The labor cost was the deciding issue for us and our investors.

The biggest issue in the early 1990’s was reliable sources for some biological controls. We had a terrible time getting nematodes for fungus gnats. We also had to collect our own Orius manutius, because there where no commercial sources at that time. We has a similar issue with Aphaseus spps.

The biggest issue in my mind today is proactively monitoring. I use to spend an hour a day manually counting bugs on sticky cards. I think that today we could automate the counting and identifying insects on sticky cards. You would just need an iPhone 7. A 12 megapixel camera gives you a 0.1 mm resolution on a 3 x 5 sticky card. If you added a QRC code to each card you can self identify the location. Cards could be photographed each day and automatically processed.

If mites are an issue the same methodology can be used with leaves as with sticky cards. The math gets a little funky to do a inverse histogram, to filter out the color of the leaf leaving only the mites. The math required is a Lagrange polynomial humans just don’t think in this form of math, but computer do! Also the use of a black light helps in the photography the mites glow at known spectrums.

If you want to do predictive modeling of pest to predator growth we can do this. We have outstanding entomology data on growth rates of both pest and predator.

We can predict the point at which an economic threshold is crossed.

Please let me know your thoughts.

4 Likes

The QR codes on sticky cards is a brilliant idea, combined with iPhone and software processing… talk about some clever automation.

Do the mites glow visibly enough in the right conditions? I know many of them require a magnifying glass to see normally.

1 Like

They glow beautifully! Well enough to count them with a naked eye. Nelson Coons discovered this by accident in the 1920 in his violet greenhouse in Rhinbeck NY. He mentions the practice in checking for mites in his cutting stock. He talks about the accident of discovery in his biography in the 1970’s. He died a few years before I got to meet him. But, I did get to talk with his children about anemone production. They had some great pictures.

2 Likes

One of the reasons for me trying out the forum is to see if people are interested in advancing IPM monitoring as part of there practice.

I am retired I want a hobby. I live on a fixed income. But, I still have value to society.

To see a nicely written journal article on photo identification of insects. Bit out of date. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1574954114001228

I just reviewed an article on auto identification of human pathology slides. It looks to be published in the fall issue of The British Journal of Pathology. It’s from a friend at who is trying to be an IBM fellow.

3 Likes

The Cannabist keeps an updated list of all pesticide recalls from Colorado cannabis businesses:

This is the latest update, where they found Myclobutanil:
http://www.denvergov.org/content/denvergov/en/environmental-health/about-us/news-room/2017/BuddiesWellness.html

2 Likes

That’s interesting. In the Don Wolf interview, he mentioned that exact same thing happening in Oregon.

1 Like

Do we know the pesticides that were found? Fungicide or insecticide?

As an industry we need develope protocols for safe growing.

This is a problem with IPM in practice. What is the economic threshold that your crop can survive before a intervention needs to occur? This has always been the root question.

If it’s a fungicide for pervention or treating Botritis or powdery mildew we need to work with a biological company on yeast, like the strawberry industry did.

If it’s a pesticide we need deeper learning.

2 Likes

For the Denver issue, it was Myclobutanil that was found. Colorado is still finalizing their pesticide testing protocol for labs, but they do have a list of allowed and banned pesticides currently.

1 Like

Why are they using that fungicide? That was a turf fungicide when first released!
I know it’s used in grape production and some small fruits, but the label restrictions are great. This to control powerdy mildew? You have to be kidding me.

If I recall correctly sunspray with some baking soda will do about the same thing! And at the same control levels based on a chi square of the results.

Control your humidity and you don’t have mildew unless you have another pest problem.

Let me find the paper. It’s really early from the light organic oil studies

Crazy.

3 Likes

Olkowski, did a paper on mildew contol in organic farming using highly refined vegetable oils. From my note book the recipe was sunspray 3 table spoons, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, and one to two drops dawn dish soap as a surfactant.

Here is a link later than I worked Low impact fungicides

2 Likes

Article on the prevalence of pesticides in California:

2 Likes

Oregon back to testing all cannabis for pesticides:
https://merryjane.com/news/all-of-oregon-marijuana-will-now-be-tested-for-pesticides

2 Likes

Rampant problem not only in CA but in all states where the CA product ends up. Bathing harvested Cannabis is a time consuming and laborious process and does not guarantee the end result will be even close to spec. How do we stop it? Any product that is going to a dispensary should lab tested by state approved lab, tagged and tracked back. Easy in the licensed community, damn near impossible on the black market. If you suffer from a medical condition make sure you aquire your meds at a licensed dispensary with test results posted from a reputable lab, as there are many that print what the store requests, not the results as actuality. I know this becasue i was asked “what percenbtage would you like us to put on your sheet”, i was apalled.

3 Likes

I hope you reported that lab to whatever certifying authority oversees them!

2 Likes

I AM big fan of safety to the people, enjoy the weekend

2 Likes

Anyone else still running across (banned) PGRs? Nasty stuff, which you can tell by smell and touch…or by the migraine if you consume it! Would not be surprised to see people go to prison over it.

1 Like

KB LABS is going back to the basis with Molds & Fungi. We developed a culture system that will identify exactly the source of the microbes. It can be in the plant and it can be airborne. We come with our lab (it’s on a van) to your facility and we test for both. www.kblabsaz.com

2 Likes
1 Like