Conventional Field Production

Come on May 21st! I need that 15 hours of light to put your tiny feet in the ground!

5 Likes

Doing a test run of my injector for dripline fertigation. Fertilizing apple trees as part of my delivery speed test.

7 Likes

Damn looking good @Farmer_Dan! Those girls look ready for the field!

In CO, our prices are similar. Live resin/THCA Diamonds still go for $60/g, but you can find cheap shatter for $10/g :nauseated_face::face_vomiting: . It’s a race to the bottom for wholesale prices here. I’ve seen indoor (not good quality) flower go for as low as $600/lb. For good quality you can still pull $1200/lb, if you know people. With the amount of outdoors here the prices are dropping quick. The price for outdoor dropped down to $450 after the harvest season. Terrible… Many people think this industry is a quick money scheme. I wish someone would tell these owners/investors it’s not. Many owners are just breaking even. This industry is a whole different animal in itself.

/rant

Sorry to get sidetracked. The conditions seem right this year for a good outdoor season. I’m hoping we can keep the snow off long enough to let us get a full 10 weeks of flower in. Fingers crossed as usual lol…

6 Likes

I’m all sorts of caught up now. Just waiting for Sunday hill my first row for planting on the 21st.

In the meantime, I am getting my personal garden step up.

Tomatoes, peppers, brassicas, lettuce, carrots, onions, and cannabis all ready to go.

Corn, squash, melons, beans, and cucumbers should be sprouting any day now. Just look at that beautiful soil! I still need to get the end fence back up and some deer deterrent in place.

6 Likes

It might be a little difficult to appreciate what this hiller is doing with just 2D pictures of brown on brown. These hills are 8" tall and 3.5’ apart. The cultivator sweeps dig in another 8"-10" givgive a solid 16"+ of depths for water to percolate. No waterlogging losses this year! Doesn’t look likelike we will get anyway rain anyway, but let’s call it an insurance policy. It should also speed planting up quite a bit.

Planting starts on Monday! I’ll let you know how much it costs. My estimate is $1000 for 1 employee making $18.00/hr (about $25/hr actual cost of payroll taxes plus insurance). We have roughly 3200 plant to stick in the ground.

Driplines will go next to the plants on top of the hill.

/original/2X/7/77a1c1950620555b5b48188ea5f1a492456269c4.mp4

4 Likes

My question about prices becomes this, if the wholesale prices are so low, then are the consumers also getting a lower price? Or do the dispensaries benefit from a larger margin?

4 Likes

I don’t have a retail shop, and I don’t sell retail, so I am not sure. It does seem like price is trending downward now, even though the glut was over 6 months ago. I think part of it is pushing older, more expensive inventory first, and part of it is cultivating retail relationships with lower wholesale prices and better margins for retail. It’s a buyer’s market on the back end, you take what you can get.

A lot of it seems to depend on other factors too. How primo is it? Some flowers still sell for $40/eighth. Does the shop grow and sell? If so, they can really undercut the market. Outdoor vs indoor, of course. Maybe others that I am not considering here.

I think that overall, the spread has widened, max price has shrunk, and the average price has decreased at retail. TONS of competition, and flower sales have decreased in volume over the past year, with hash more than making up for it with huge growth. I think we are at nearly 50/50 for plant material based (bud and pre-rolls) and concentrate based (hash, edibles, salves, etc.).

Here is a local menu to look at for current prices (20% tax is already included, so $20 is really about $17 in product). The lowest is a quarter for $16. I doubt it is all that good, no picture to show it off, but it’ll work for cheap. There are some really nice eights for about $20. Unholy eighths of fire for $40.

4 Likes

In the CO market, we are down for the most part to $20/eighths. You can certainly find more expensive, but that doesn’t always mean better, at least here. We still have shops selling $400/ounces :open_mouth:.

So, it’s just you and one employee planting the 3200? How long do you expect the planting to take? Excited to get the outdoor season rolling!!!

4 Likes

My neighbor/friend/employee can do 500 in 6 hrs while I stage and prep the next day’s rows and plants, and get drip flushed and running on the freshly planted rows. I expect 6.5 days with the 2 of us, assuming no problems. It would be a record if we manage it. I think with the additional soil prep it should make a world of differnce, and no shovels. I hate shovels, that’s why I have a backhoe and a loader.

2 Likes

Today is the the BIG day! :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

Low tech nav system for straight, legally spaced rows.

Hitting about 125 plants (one half of one double row) per hour to start, but it’s easy when you’re fresh. We are going to shoot for 750 of ~3250 in 6 hours, 50% more than anticipated for the day.

3 Likes

13 hours from me and 8 hours from my employee and we set 1000 plants in the ground! The only way we could be faster is with a transplanting machine. My transplanting machine’s name is Dennis. Everyone needs a Dennis!

3 Likes

@Farmer_Dan nice work Dan, employee and Dennis! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Dennis and my employee are one in the same, he’s a planting machine. :wink: One of the hardest working people I’ve ever met.

2 Likes

Nice! What other equipment do you use at your farm?

2 Likes

This is honestly the best thread of all time. So informative! I love it because its a completely different process than my own. Makes me want to do a thread like this once we receive funding. Show our processes, construction, lifestyle etc.
Well…the stuff I want you to see anyways. :wink:

4 Likes

Plow, spader, tiller, hiller, mower, backhoe, box scraper, land plane, grapple bucket, loader, manure spreader, broadcast spreader, auger, cement mixer, 4 stroke backpack fogger, numerous power and hand tools, I think that covers it. My other neighbor has a bull dozer, excavator, and dump truck that he is more than will to let neighbors borrow. We all share knowledge, equipment and time so we can all get everything done in time and be as efficient as possible.

5 Likes

Thanks! I try to keep it fun and informative.

I am just trying to make something work on a thin start-up budget.

I’d like to see a phase by phase indoor grow thread. I haven’t grown indoor, aside from mothers and clones, for about 4 years now. I might have forgot how to do it. :joy:

I do want to get a tent and grow 4 rec indoor again. The smooth smoke of indoor is my preferred type flower despite what I have chosen to focus on professionally.

2 Likes

We would love to see what you have up and running now! You could do a before and after you get the funding and investment in new processes, equipment, etc.

4 Likes

The DEA and the US Atty for Oregon believe that the oversupply will be diverted to non-recreational States and want to intervene.
The State of Oregon is concerned with loss of tax revenue because they believe that the over supply is going to the Black or Grey Markets and underselling taxed “legal” produce.
Either way, as they turn the screws, the net result will be continued high prices for consumers.

3 Likes